Having a bit of a moany fed up moment!

Seriously_Sax1989

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey all, I've got really fed up all of a sudden as I've put on weight :( no one has said anything to me but I just know I've gained! Especially hips and stomach!

I'm not a big person, size 10 weight was/is about 10st 4 and I'm around 5'7 height.

Although my sugar levels aren't perfect yet, still run high quite a bit but I'm slowly getting on top of them now, I'm fairly healthy and very active, swimming, skateboarding and my job is pretty physical at times.

Just wondering if you go about losing this weight in the usual way- excersize and correct foods as I am dead certain it's the insulin that's caused/contributed to my weight!

I currently take levemir morning and night and humalog before food.

Any help greatly appreciated :)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Well I found just gradually cutting back on portion sizes and not snacking between meals was sufficient to lose weight, in doing so you are also reducing your insulin usage.

It is a case of burning more calories than you consume, if you do that then the weight will eventually fall off (although I'm not sure if you are overweight at 10st 4).

Seriously_Sax1989

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Being overweight is not the problem, I've just noticed that I've put on weight recently and obviously it's not something that is wanted. I've never been overweight and hopefully never will be but I've noticed a change, and I know the insulin has had a part to play in it :( diabetes is just really ****** today

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Being overweight is not the problem, I've just noticed that I've put on weight recently and obviously it's not something that is wanted. I've never been overweight and hopefully never will be but I've noticed a change, and I know the insulin has had a part to play in it :( diabetes is just really ****** today

Is it not just muscle if you've increased your physical exercise? Sorry you've had a ****** day, try getting a good nights rest and hopefully things will be better tomorrow.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I'm afraid it' s not the insulin itself that increases weight but that in combination with a bit too many carbs. If you can reduce those further then the weight gain should stop

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
I completely understand your post, i'm having the same issue, have put on over half a stone in 4 months and am doing more exercise now than before, eat low carb but just cannot understand why the weight has crept on. I've put mine on around my waist - it's definately not muscle !!

I snack on nuts between meals but nothing major, will be keen to watch this thread for any ideas.

Seriously_Sax1989

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It could well be loss of toned muscle I suppose and high sugar levels don't help but (and I think all us girls will understand this) you know when you just KNOW and FEEL different even tho nobody has said anything.

I should confess I LOVE CARBS but I've cut down loads, I completely get the way I sound makes it seem like I'm a really enormously huge person but I'm not which is why I think I'm fretting about weight gain!

Anyway thanks for your responses so far and I'm eagerly awaiting more! :)

Reactions: 2 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Reactions: 4 people

bellabella

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I totally feel your pain. After being diagnosed 2.5 months ago now, I too experienced a not so gradual increase in weight. Suddenly all clothes were to tight, and I had two layers of new flubber in my tummy area. For me it was a combination of the insulin, the amount of high carb foods I was eating ( experienced an unvelievable amount of hunger when first started treatment ), and also the lack of exercise I was doing due to general exhaustion from the preceding months of hyperglycaemia and infections!!
Since then, I have started going low carb, and while I haven't yet noticed huuuge reductions in weight, I definitely feel less belly bloat, more satiety, and have more energy for going for walks in the evening. I'm hoping the results on the scales will ensue as I really want to fit into my old clothes.
I'm not sure from your post how long you've been diagnosed? It sounds like it's early days, and I would say to you that, although it feels really disheartening, try not to let it define how you feel about yourself. Be good to yourself, this whole diabetes thing is a lot to take on board, and you need to give yourself plenty of time to adjust. Once that's happened, It'll ve easier to focus on sorting out the weight etc. I'm only over 2 months into this, but am already in a much better place mentally than I was in the initial weeks. Time makes everything easier
Best wishes

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I blogged about this yesterday actually! I'm by no means over weight, but it's been creeping up and I'm not ok with it. I'm trying to act NOW before it becomes an issue, but it's hard to direct the energy into doing it.

I'm trying though... Trying my own patience lol

fatgirl1965

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who don't look after their pets
Hey all, I've got really fed up all of a sudden as I've put on weight :( no one has said anything to me but I just know I've gained! Especially hips and stomach!

I'm not a big person, size 10 weight was/is about 10st 4 and I'm around 5'7 height.

Although my sugar levels aren't perfect yet, still run high quite a bit but I'm slowly getting on top of them now, I'm fairly healthy and very active, swimming, skateboarding and my job is pretty physical at times.

Just wondering if you go about losing this weight in the usual way- excersize and correct foods as I am dead certain it's the insulin that's caused/contributed to my weight!

I currently take levemir morning and night and humalog before food.

Any help greatly appreciated :)

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I totally feel your pain. After being diagnosed 2.5 months ago now, I too experienced a not so gradual increase in weight. Suddenly all clothes were to tight, and I had two layers of new flubber in my tummy area. For me it was a combination of the insulin, the amount of high carb foods I was eating ( experienced an unvelievable amount of hunger when first started treatment ), and also the lack of exercise I was doing due to general exhaustion from the preceding months of hyperglycaemia and infections!!
Since then, I have started going low carb, and while I haven't yet noticed huuuge reductions in weight, I definitely feel less belly bloat, more satiety, and have more energy for going for walks in the evening. I'm hoping the results on the scales will ensue as I really want to fit into my old clothes.
I'm not sure from your post how long you've been diagnosed? It sounds like it's early days, and I would say to you that, although it feels really disheartening, try not to let it define how you feel about yourself. Be good to yourself, this whole diabetes thing is a lot to take on board, and you need to give yourself plenty of time to adjust. Once that's happened, It'll ve easier to focus on sorting out the weight etc. I'm only over 2 months into this, but am already in a much better place mentally than I was in the initial weeks. Time makes everything easier
Best wishes
It is a shock to the system, you may find that you weren't well before, it takes a while to get use to the new healthy you, the problem is the healthy weight comes on so quick that the body image hasn't time to catch up. You may have found people saying 'gee you look well' when all you could see was flab.

fatgirl1965

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who don't look after their pets
Sorry can't be much help, just wanted to say OH how I wish I was a size 10 again or even 10st4. Years ago when I was a size 10 I just wanted to be a size 8. Then when I was a size 12 I just wanted to be a size 10. When I was a size 14 I wanted to be a size 12 - I think you get my meaning. Why are we never happy with our size or weight??? Your size sounds pretty ok to me for your height, but I can certainly understand your need to not let it get any higher. Sorry I can't offer any weight loss tips, but good luck:rolleyes:

Seriously_Sax1989

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry can't be much help, just wanted to say OH how I wish I was a size 10 again or even 10st4. Years ago when I was a size 10 I just wanted to be a size 8. Then when I was a size 12 I just wanted to be a size 10. When I was a size 14 I wanted to be a size 12 - I think you get my meaning. Why are we never happy with our size or weight??? Your size sounds pretty ok to me for your height, but I can certainly understand your need to not let it get any higher. Sorry I can't offer any weight loss tips, but good luck:rolleyes:

I know exactly what you mean! I've been around the 10'4 mark for a few years now, think it might be my final weight lol but I'd gone up from 9'2 to 9'4 and was unhappy then got used to it then like you it changed again!

Like you say "we are never happy" even if everyone else thinks we look fine!! I am thinking that part of it comes down to being female lol but I am so certain that it's my insulin contributing as within the last year I've moved onto basal/bolus regime so obviously taking more insulin compared to my twice a day humalog!

I've been diabetic for 18 years as well and I'm certain it's not diagnosis by this amount of time :)! So I can only put it down to my "new" insulin.

In short, its just a pain in the bum!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
It could well be loss of toned muscle I suppose and high sugar levels don't help but (and I think all us girls will understand this) you know when you just KNOW and FEEL different even tho nobody has said anything.

I should confess I LOVE CARBS but I've cut down loads, I completely get the way I sound makes it seem like I'm a really enormously huge person but I'm not which is why I think I'm fretting about weight gain!

Anyway thanks for your responses so far and I'm eagerly awaiting more! :)

No your far from enormous so don't beat yourself up. Now that your on a basal/bolus regime have you considered doing a carb counting course such as DAFNE, this will help you better match your insulin to the food that you eat so that you can adjust your insulin doses according to the carbs that you consume , so in effect it gives you more flexibility when it comes to insulin dosing.

There's an on-line version of DAFNE in the following, however I would strongly recommend that you attend a course like DAFNE (if you haven't already) as it teaches you many aspects of type 1 diabetes management and is very worthwhile course to take, plus you get to meet other type 1's who are dealing with the day-to-day issues that everyone with type 1 worry about:

http://www.bdec-e-learning.com/

Reactions: 4 people

Seriously_Sax1989

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes I've heard about DAFNE but I'm not to sure how my employer would be about it!

I carb count at the mo using different ratios depending on what meal I'm having but I leave the levemir to the docs as I'm still in the dark with that!

Thanks for the link, I'll take a look when I'm home! At work at the mo and signal is sporadic at the best of times lol :)