New Flash Glucose Monitoring from Abbott - Bloodless Testing

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That's pretty outrageous. So Medtronic basically bought a monopoly in your health authority? How is that even legal? It should be challenged in court. Even if Medtronic gives the LHA a bung for every Medtronic pump they provide, patients should still get a choice of pump. I'm shocked.

Pretty much yes. They said animas had been given in special cases where the user did a lot of swimming. I do know someone who has one but only because her dad is a lawyer and understandably kicked up a massive stink.

I don't agree with it, but I was so borderline for being "allowed" a pump that I kept my mouth shut and took what was offered. It works fine and, aside from wanting the dexcom CGM in the future, it is perfect. I could of course use the enlite seabird by Medtronic but they're more expensive

Reactions: 2 people

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Trials have been completed. They will be going on sale to everybody not just a select few

Not true. I know a few people who start their trial on the 13th. The "see if it will work" trials are over. The "normal user" trials are starting now.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Basically Medtronic have provided training to more doctors and nurses on their pump which is why it is the first choice and it is £100 cheaper per year than say an omnipod. Medtronic pumps have just been around longer. You then get clinics like Chelsea and Westminster who love Omnipod and will fight the case for you. It all depends on you clinic.
Omnipod is a special case because it costs more but all the other pumps cost [the same] so there should be free patient choice.

Last edited by a moderator:

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My hospital in Wales got a good deal by buying 30 accuchek pumps at once... They did not offer anything else. If they get a good deal and it enables 30 people (4 years ago) to go on a pump.. Why not??
Sorry, I'm
Just grateful I got my pump and would not change to another make.
And DD how would you feel if the only pump available to you was one you hated instead of the one you love?

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I don't agree with it, but I was so borderline for being "allowed" a pump that I kept my mouth shut and took what was offered. It works fine and, aside from wanting the dexcom CGM in the future, it is perfect. I could of course use the enlite seabird by Medtronic but they're more expensive

Totally understandable.

If anyone needs to fight for a pump or a type of pump, go to INPUT. Lesley will fight your corner hard.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
And DD how would you feel if the only pump available to you was one you hated instead of the one you love?

To be honest I think I would have liked any pump. I don't think I would have been so keen as this one that I wear on my arm, but, I would have got used to it.

CambridgeLass

Hi. I’ve heard on forums the Freestyle Libre will cost around £150 pounds with sensors lasting a reported 14 days costing £50 each. Exciting tech!! ElyDave, we are in the peads section of Addenbrooke’s and have been using the cellnovo since April. Love it! Very innovative. My 8 year old manages it all on her own at school etc. It’s our first pump so no experience of any others, but ever SO happy with it.

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
To be honest I think I would have liked any pump. I don't think I would have been so keen as this one that I wear on my arm, but, I would have got used to it.

Same. I definitely didn't WANT omipod, but if say that had been the choice or nothing id have gladly taken it. Medtronic was close enough to animas for me :)

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
question @Omnipod @Spiker and @hale710 will I be able to use the libre to cal my dex? ie eliminating finger bg for days at a time?!

If so sign me the f**k up!!!

I don't believe so no. The libre still recommends "regular" finger prick tests. So for me that would be driving and pre meal probably. Average 8-10 a day right now so that would be a significant cut

iHs

I don't believe so no. The libre still recommends "regular" finger prick tests. So for me that would be driving and pre meal probably. Average 8-10 a day right now so that would be a significant cut
Its not really going to be 'the end to finger pricking' then. There's a bit of misleading going on .....naughty Abbott...

Reactions: 6 people

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Its not really going to be 'the end to finger pricking' then. There's a bit of misleading going on .....naughty Abbott...

No, I was never under the impression it was.

"A finger pricker test using a blood glucose meter is required during times of rapidly changing glucose levels when interstitial fluid glucose levels may not accurately reflect blood glucose levels"

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yeah I thought that would be too much to ask for. I also think its misleading to advertise it as CGM which I have seen. Although it may have been the media being misleading.

Reactions: 4 people

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah I thought that would be too much to ask for. I also think its misleading to advertise it as CGM which I have seen. Although it may have been the media being misleading.

I think that's the media. I've only read stuff from Abott themselves and they've not referred to it as CGM, because it's not lol but it's a decent middle ground

Reactions: 5 people

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
that's twice you 've *****'d - you'll be in trouble ;)

I'm with you though. this still looks like th ebest thing to hit the diabetes market for quite some time.

Reactions: 4 people

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I’ve heard on forums the Freestyle Libre will cost around £150 pounds with sensors lasting a reported 14 days costing £50 each. Exciting tech!! ElyDave, we are in the peads section of Addenbrooke’s and have been using the cellnovo since April. Love it! Very innovative. My 8 year old manages it all on her own at school etc. It’s our first pump so no experience of any others, but ever SO happy with it.

Glad you're getting on with it. It seems the CellNovo is very popular in Cambs as the DSNs were a bit unsure whether they were going to get enough supplied in time for the group I'm starting with in October.

Jaz253

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Government politic management anywhere, extreme religion approach, uninformed doctors
OMG this is what I've been expecting to happen since was 7 ys. old! But to my humble opinion, the price will be a little of an issue if is similar to a CGM (and I cant consider getting a pump). Ple@se (to the manufacturers) have in mind a few months after the release, making a version affordable for those on a low income (which I presume is a huge majority in diabetes population). I have relatives in Spain so could get one, but as the senior members have mentioned, it will be wise to see how it actually works.
I'm just praying that it doesn't end up being an Exubera or afrezza insulin like-thing ;)