Weight loss surgery, anyone any experience?

Janice2209

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I've been offered a gastric bypass and am trying to decide if it is for me. Over the years I've probably lost my current body weight more than once but always put back what I've lost plus a bit. I need to lose around 70 kilos or 11 stones. It just feels overwhelming and given my history I'm almost scared to even try to lose weight by myself as I'll end up even heavier. For the most part we eat healthy food, it's just the portion control that is out of control. I also have mobility issues as I seriously wrecked my ankle in 2008, the bone got infected and I had two years with an open wound. The only exercise I can do is swimming (which I enjoy) but I really miss walking.

Anyway, my surgeon has told me that this may also cure my T2 diabetes (diagnosed 3 years ago), so I wondered if anyone here has any opinions on this.

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello Janice. You have a difficult decision to make. I have lost a stone and a half but it has taken me a few months to do that. I need to lose another 2 stone and I find it a bit overwhelming. Given the amount you need to lose and te fact it will help your diabetes I can see the pros. What are the things putting you off?

Reactions: 2 people

johnboy412000

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Arrogant and ignorant people.
Hello Janice and welcome to the forum.I have so far lost half a stone in 1 month since changing my diet for diabetes.Im hoping to loose at least another 2 stones or so yet but ill be taking it steady.Its an awkward decision you are faced with and i wish you well with it.

Janice2209

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I lost a stone within four weeks of being offered the bypass. I've lost another half stone since then. I know I can lose 3 stones in 4 months, I've done it several times. What I can't do is keep it off. Yes Kat, a for and against list makes sense.

I was really hoping to find someone who had taken this option so I could ask about their experience.

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes that would be really helpful. Maybe f we can keep the thread going in the recent posts someone will come along who has had the experience. :)

Janice2209

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Mo, this is a major operation. It's people re-plumbing my digestive system from how it's meant to work to something that will force me to lose weight. All surgery carries risks and this especially so. The death rate is around 1% within 6 months of surgery. I'm already feeling guilty about being overweight and having diabetes. Even my husband thinks it is cheating and eating less using will power would work but agrees that I should have the surgery because otherwise he can see my Mother outliving me (she's 90 and I'm 57).

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
I'm very very fortunate in that I only have to get rid of two stones.
From seventeen to fifteen and then maintain it.
I did peak at eighteen but dropped to seventeen without even knowing why and then stuck at seventeen the last couple of years.
I'm now sixteen.
My weight before was fourteen stone for years without fluctuation.
To aim for fourteen now at my age and not being very active now would be unrealistic so fifteen it will be.

It's not really possible for me to put myself in your shoes but I've been thinking what would I do.
From what you've said I think I'd go for it.
I can imagine the relief you'd feel.
If you say no what you left facing?
If you say yes it can be life changing.
Go on ... do it ... for you and then come back here and rejoice whilst telling us how bloody marvelous you feel.
If theres a sensible argument going on in your head to say no ... what is it really saying ... why?

Reactions: 4 people

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
I was really hoping to find someone who had taken this option so I could ask about their experience.
You may well yet get a reply from someone who has ... hang in there.

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I realise what kind of operation it is from watching programmes on tv. I just know how daunted I feel having to loise 2 stone. I do think Jack is making some good points.

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you tried LCHF? I know people who have lost and also maintained their new weight on LCHF. http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf-saved

You could give it a go, if you like.

If what I do don't work I often try the opposite and surprisingly often that actually does work.

Janice2209

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
What is LCHF? I've followed the link above but it still doesn't explain it. I get the low carb bit LC but HF?

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf

Can´t say I know much about Atkins, but on LCHF you cut down on carbs, often to very low numbers indeed but up your fat intake considerably. The science behind this is that carbs stimulate insulin, insulin stops your body from using the fat stores. Also carbs tend to make you hungry soon again. High carb low fat diets also seem to make you leptin resistant.

High fat, on the other hand, sorts the leptin resistance so you feel when you full and it is almost impossible to over eat fat, you do really get full. It also lowers insulin so your body can use its own fat stores.

Check out the Dietdoc, he has very good reputation.

K

Kat100

I lost a stone within four weeks of being offered the bypass. I've lost another half stone since then. I know I can lose 3 stones in 4 months, I've done it several times. What I can't do is keep it off. Yes Kat, a for and against list makes sense.

Someone may know ..give this thread a bit of time ...
I am impressed with your weight loss though....can you talk to more health professionals ....just to get some more details thoughts ....
I do sense you have a high level,of motivation .....you will make the right decision ....best wishes ....Kat

johnboy412000

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Arrogant and ignorant people.
My wife when i met her was a size 30 and about 25 stones.Shes now about 10 1/2 stones the weight i should be really.But id settle for 12 stones. She lost hers through 4 years of going in and out of hospital with her disability problems.Hospital food has that effect seemingly.I know its gunna take time to shed another 2 1/2 stones and then maintaining it will be the hardest part.Throughout my late teens and up to my late 30's i was a steady 8 stones and never really fluctuated at all.Its amazing how just about everyone i know including my dad put on weight when they hit 40's.Must be the middle aged spread.Dad did well to loose a few stones he used to attend one of these weight watchers programs and mother used to do her best to help him stick to it cooking him healthier meals etc.

I wish you well on your quest Janice and hopefully someone who has been through the same proceedure will post on here. :)

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I wonder if someone will come along who has experience of gastric bypass?

C

catherinecherub

I've been offered a gastric bypass and am trying to decide if it is for me. Over the years I've probably lost my current body weight more than once but always put back what I've lost plus a bit. I need to lose around 70 kilos or 11 stones. It just feels overwhelming and given my history I'm almost scared to even try to lose weight by myself as I'll end up even heavier. For the most part we eat healthy food, it's just the portion control that is out of control. I also have mobility issues as I seriously wrecked my ankle in 2008, the bone got infected and I had two years with an open wound. The only exercise I can do is swimming (which I enjoy) but I really miss walking.

Anyway, my surgeon has told me that this may also cure my T2 diabetes (diagnosed 3 years ago), so I wondered if anyone here has any opinions on this.
Hi @Janice2209,

There is a lady here on the forum, @Geordie lass who has had a sleeve gastrectomy. She might be able to help as she speaks positively about her decision Could you send her a PM, (Conversation)?