The Great British Bake Off

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
These programs seriously annoy me. They make sugar look like an essential item of good food and cooking. I'd love to see cake baking where there is no icing (zero, zilch) and no added sugar; just fruit and other natural ingredients which keep the GI and carbs low. Dream on....

Reactions: 5 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
These programs seriously annoy me. They make sugar look like an essential item of good food and cooking. I'd love to see cake baking where there is no icing (zero, zilch) and no added sugar; just fruit and other natural ingredients which keep the GI and carbs low. Dream on....

We will know that sugar is 'out' when someone produces a tv program that promotes eating without it...

But then they will just tip sweeteners in, instead. :spitoutdummy:

But who am I trying to kid? It won't happen in my lifetime, will it?

Especially if I eat cake ;)

K

Kat100

We will know that sugar is 'out' when someone produces a tv program that promotes eating without it...

But then they will just tip sweeteners in, instead. :spitoutdummy:

But who am I trying to kid? It won't happen in my lifetime, will it?

Especially if I eat cake ;)
You are still a young one :cat: X

Reactions: 2 people

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you want sugar in your cake, the best thing you can do is turn it into alcohol first and then pour it all over.

Reactions: 3 people

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Just posted in another post about a cook book I bought. Hemsley and Hemsley, worth the money but I always buy stuff when its come down in price. Loads of low carb recipes and lots of goodies, raspberry pastries, cake, brownies, all made with almond flour or coconut flour. The girls are British. They also have a web site with recipes, well worth a look.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 7 people
K

Kat100

Just posted in another post about a cook book I bought. Hemsley and Hemsley, worth the money but I always buy stuff when its come down in price. Loads of low carb recipes and lots of goodies, raspberry pastries, cake, brownies, all made with almond flour or coconut flour. The girls are British. They also have a web site with recipes, well worth a look.
Sounds really interesting , Thank you for sharing .....

luceeloo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
There's a blog and facebook site called "All Day I Dream About Food"... the writer is diabetic and makes some awesome low carb creations.

Reactions: 3 people

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
did someone say brownies......:p

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Yep, brownies.

Bev18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
i just want a biscuit - that isn't made out of ground almonds, which then falls apart.

i'd like them to try and make a cake out of ground almonds with healthy icing . however a belgium tesco chocolate eclair is about 10 carbs i admit i did have one and my daughter ate the other 3 but that was when we got back of holiday - i always crave something nice when i return. Turkish deserts are yuck

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done, Nancy!! That windmill was incredible.

KittyKatty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've just been grocery shopping online and have been getting increasingly peeved at how high carb all desserts are. I'm tired of eating just fruit and I suppose boredom is rather dangerous...

However Walls do an ice cream that is just 8g carb for two scoops. That might be nice for an occasional treat. Has anyone else found any gems?

moz1

Chocolate eclairs and most fresh cream cakes not too bad carb wise! Mind you just inject a bit more insulin if I fancy a treat every now and then!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've just been grocery shopping online and have been getting increasingly peeved at how high carb all desserts are. I'm tired of eating just fruit and I suppose boredom is rather dangerous...

However Walls do an ice cream that is just 8g carb for two scoops. That might be nice for an occasional treat. Has anyone else found any gems?

Check out the low carb section. Hundreds of great puds, cakes and deserts - with minimal blood glucose impact.

ShellyC23

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry did I miss something? Low carb section of what exactly? I'd love to eat cake