New Flash Glucose Monitoring from Abbott - Bloodless Testing

daniT1D

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That's a brilliant idea.

(Obviously, I didn't have to reply to you, but wanted to bump your post for maximum exposure for others feeling uncomfortable about the running costs. ;))

I hope everyone wanting this can find a way to afford it. I don't have loads of spare cash but happy to sacrifice other things to fund this :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Winifred12345

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Couldn't agree more Dan and they are so easy to get in, I've just wasted a Medtronic at a cost of £40 as that is so hard!

Reactions: 2 people

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I've read on some blogs that Abbotts are guaranteeing the sensors for 14 days and have replaced any that haven't lasted. Of course, that might only be during the trial as they don't want any bad publicity at this stage, but if any fail (unless it's my fault) I'll certainly be contacting them to replace it. I guess we'll soon find out.

Smidge

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I've read on some blogs that Abbotts are guaranteeing the sensors for 14 days and have replaced any that haven't lasted. Of course, that might only be during the trial as they don't want any bad publicity at this stage, but if any fail (unless it's my fault) I'll certainly be contacting them to replace it. I guess we'll soon find out.

Smidge

Hardly a vote of confidence, what are the reasons for the sensors failing ?

Robert 2170

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I saw to my nurse last week and she had the meter and was trying it and was to report back to the rep.
She said don't rush out just now to get it there is still a few problems with it and one was the length of time the sender lasted.
She found when it got near to the 14 days the Senser would start to give faulse readings and still had to do the finger test to get the correct reading
Also as it was not a blood test it was reading it was about 15 behind what your actual reading was
So I will wait and see and there is also other testers in the pipe line

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hardly a vote of confidence, what are the reasons for the sensors failing ?

@noblehead - seems to be all sorts of reasons from poor accuracy to failed adhesive. Complaints are that once a sensor fails and you contact Abbotts customer service, they can't supply new sensors as they have no supplies and no timescales for having any. Abbotts have gone totally silent on Twitter for the last couple of weeks and are no longer responding to trial users' tweets as they were early on. People have contacted customer services as late as this Friday and the staff still have no idea when it will be launched. People are now rumouring that Abbotts have totally underestimated the demand and know they won't cope with the launch or subsequent sensor demands and are putting it off. #frustrating is now being used in connection with this product and the lack of information from Abbotts. It doesn't bode well.

Smidge

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Sounds familiar to freestyle navigator at the moment:(

H

Hooked

@noblehead - seems to be all sorts of reasons from poor accuracy to failed adhesive. Complaints are that once a sensor fails and you contact Abbotts customer service, they can't supply new sensors as they have no supplies and no timescales for having any. Abbotts have gone totally silent on Twitter for the last couple of weeks and are no longer responding to trial users' tweets as they were early on. People have contacted customer services as late as this Friday and the staff still have no idea when it will be launched. People are now rumouring that Abbotts have totally underestimated the demand and know they won't cope with the launch or subsequent sensor demands and are putting it off. #frustrating is now being used in connection with this product and the lack of information from Abbotts. It doesn't bode well.

Smidge
Oh dear, doesn't sound good at all. Surely they should have realised the interest in a system like this would be huge.

Reactions: 3 people
H

Hooked

I notice the latest advert is coming up on the side of Facebook for this device is saying "You can do it before driving". Did the DVLA approve them?

iHs

Am wondering if the sensor would be a lot better in accuracy and adhesion if it was sold to last 10 days and so 3 would be needed to last 30 days instead of 2?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I think they need to look at the actual issue of the glue adhesive. It was bad on the Navigator... Doesn't look lime they have listened to feeback from yheir users and probably still using the same...it was bad enough getting 5 days adhesion with the Navigator sensor.. I used to wear another tubgrip over the top of it. Then when advised not to do that by Abbott they advised to use a brown tape.. Can't remember name of it now. Then they sent me a large big plaster looking thing to use. Then it was my fault because I use my arms gardening alot!!

No good altering the time of wear.. They never addressed the issue with the Navigator sensor that was bad.. So they need to listen to their Users more.

If the sensors are not firmly attached then the readings will be inaccurate..

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
They didn't recommend those products to me

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
We use loads of stuff not recommended by Dexcom. If it makes it stick then so be it!

Seriously though even dex has issues with adhesion sometimes.

Reactions: 4 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Why can't they use the same sticky stuff as the sets? They never have problems!!

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Why can't they use the same sticky stuff as the sets? They never have problems!!

Ummmm yes they do. I currently have physio tape holding mine down as it started to come off yesterday after less than 24 hours. For me it's hit or miss as to whether it stays down!