Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Yes, excellent suggestion. I think I was trying to suggest something similar in my long rambling post above.
Would something like a suggestions box help?
I suggested this idea 2 years ago ...

A place where members can place their ideas to help
and support others .
Make a suggestion for ADMIN/MODS to consider .

If a particular idea from any member is/was doable and would help within the forum .
Then the admin team could approach the software teams here .
To implement these into the forum .

Reactions: 7 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Would something like a suggestions box help?
I suggested this idea 2 years ago ...

A place where members can place their ideas to help
and support others .
Make a suggestion for ADMIN/MODS to consider .

If a particular idea from any member is/was doable and would help within the forum .
Then the admin team could approach the software teams here .
To implement these into the forum .

Anna and @janewatt - Although not rejecting or challenging anyone, my thoughts were around trying to find a simple way of feeding back/making suggestions or whatever which doesn't just go to one person who could, for instance be on holiday/off sick or whatever. I don't know what happens at 9pm, say, when someone hits the Report button; whether it goes to everyone (in which case, poor old Jane has quite a backlog to clear!), or whether there is some form of Mod admin area login that lets moderators present see what's being reported. In fact, I don't even know if there is any sort of cover rota or if we're free wheeling for significant periods. (Sorry for the brain dump.)

I'm not necessarily asking for answers to those things, but just trying to illustrate my thinking. If there was a button, perhaps near the Watch and Thread Tools buttons, with an apt title it could work?

Thanks again everyone for participating in this thread. I didn't think for a moment we'd have many responses, never mind well over 100. It shows we care.

Reactions: 2 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Thanks Kat for explanation up further....I must be blind too!! cos when I see a heated debate I just think two relevant experiences of individuals, it all about what works for you.

Eg.. Some people alter basals 1hr before a wrong reading, me I'm 2 and 3 hours... We do what's right for ourselves... A newbie to pumps may well then try 1 hour alterations.. If not work for them, then they may remember what works for me... Doesn't make either one of us wrong...

I think it all our own personalitys and characters... I do just try and think "would I create uproar in a workplace or lose my real life friends if I say xxx, xxxxxx, does it help the OP?

Again all individuals so unlikely to get everyone happy with this post.. Bit like the Clegg clan today arguing on airport expansion!!

Reactions: 6 people
K

Kat100

Thanks Kat for explanation up further....I must be blind too!! cos when I see a heated debate I just think two relevant experiences of individuals, it all about what works for you.

Eg.. Some people alter basals 1hr before a wrong reading, me I'm 2 and 3 hours... We do what's right for ourselves... A newbie to pumps may well then try 1 hour alterations.. If not work for them, then they may remember what works for me... Doesn't make either one of us wrong...

I think it all our own personalitys and characters... I do just try and think "would I create uproar in a workplace or lose my real life friends if I say xxx, xxxxxx, does it help the OP?

Again all individuals so unlikely to get everyone happy with this post.. Bit like the Clegg clan today arguing on airport expansion!!
No problems DD I am for the individual person .....that to has been my life's career , not going to,change now...best wishes Kat

Giverny

Admin
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Dishonest people, pessimism, spiders, mushrooms.
Anna and @janewatt - Although not rejecting or challenging anyone, my thoughts were around trying to find a simple way of feeding back/making suggestions or whatever which doesn't just go to one person who could, for instance be on holiday/off sick or whatever. I don't know what happens at 9pm, say, when someone hits the Report button; whether it goes to everyone (in which case, poor old Jane has quite a backlog to clear!), or whether there is some form of Mod admin area login that lets moderators present see what's being reported. In fact, I don't even know if there is any sort of cover rota or if we're free wheeling for significant periods. (Sorry for the brain dump.)

I'm not necessarily asking for answers to those things, but just trying to illustrate my thinking. If there was a button, perhaps near the Watch and Thread Tools buttons, with an apt title it could work?

Thanks again everyone for participating in this thread. I didn't think for a moment we'd have many responses, never mind well over 100. It shows we care.
I'll look in to a way of facilitating this. In terms of programming, this is fairly ambitious but I'm relatively sure it's possible.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'll look in to a way of facilitating this. In terms of programming, this is fairly ambitious but I'm relatively sure it's possible.

Thank you.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
@Giverny @noblehead I feel it is broken because as the OP says

"I have noticed over recent times that the forum appears to be turning into a fractious, combative place to be, which for a support forum doesn't feel quite right to me."

I just want to tell newbies what has helped me. As has already been said some of us don't feel comfortable doing that any more. I tried twice this morning and deleted it and merely said 'welcome' because I didn't want to get into a fight about low carbing. An active member, whose posts I enjoyed reading, left in the Summer; I believe this is because that person was bullied on a thread by people who were against the diet the person was advocating. This is where 'agendas' come in to play. I don't like seeing members leaving like this, if an active member suddenly leaves after a heated discussion wouldn't you call that broken? Or maybe simply 'job done'? Or merely just 'time to look away'?

Surely it's best for us to speak out now to try to heal any rifts rather than let them continue and get worse?

If the member was bullied then they should have reported the offending posts rather than leave, no one should feel that they have to leave the forum because they follow a particular diet, everyone here has found a diet that best suits their own needs and controls their diabetes well, that is all what matters..........

But members do come and go for a variety of reasons and all personal to themselves, that doesn't mean the forum is broken, it's just the nature of forums and it would be impossible to structure the forum so that nobody ever left. As said, if people feel they need to complain about a post or an individual then they should take it up with a member of the Moderation or Admin Team, the option is also there to ignore the post/member/thread or put them on your ignore list, there's plenty of options available without resorting to walking away.

Reactions: 8 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A lot of people here post what works for them and acknowledge that it may not work for others surely this is what this forum is about . When I was first DX I was in a complete panic i didnt do "ill" I found this forum and took the advice and tested and found out what I could eat and what not and tried the suggested foods etc and found my way from a HbA1c of 15+ to 7 .We need to help others in the same way
CAROL

I agree, we also need to remember that too much info all at once can be too much to deal with, and be discerning about how to respond to a newbie post. Especially daunting if we miss the point of a query and answer a question before it has been asked. The relevant info can easily be lost that way.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If the member was bullied then they should have reported the offending posts rather than leave, no one should feel that they have to leave the forum because they follow a particular diet, everyone here has found a diet that best suits their own needs and controls their diabetes well, that is all what matters..........

But members do come and go for a variety of reasons and all personal to themselves, that doesn't mean the forum is broken, it's just the nature of forums and it would be impossible to structure the forum so that nobody ever left. As said, if people feel they need to complain about a post or an individual then they should take it up with a member of the Moderation or Admin Team, the option is also there to ignore the post/member/thread or put them on your ignore list, there's plenty of options available without resorting to walking away.

I'm sorry, but reporting one case of bullying is not what this thread is about. IMO

I've nearly left this forum twice now. Both times it was because individual posts or threads broke the camel's back. It wasn't the individual case. It was that there had been far too many similar incidents which combined to overload. I suspect that happened to the person who left.

And MANY regular helpful generous posters have left in the time I have been here.

@zand may agree with me on this, but I don't want to put words in her mouth.

I am more than capable of dealing with attacks/disagreements/silliness aimed at myself.

What gets me down is when I see some poor newbie thread swamped by diet fundamentalism and bickering. Or the same people post irresponsible advice in thread after thread.

Each time I have nearly left, I have taken a break instead, then concentrated on greeting newbies for a few days, and hung out on the silliest threads I can find in the Chat section for a while. But I'm not prepared to do that any more.

I'm going to be using the REPORT button more (you are all witnesses that @Giverny encourages this!) and when I see a post that I think is inappropriate, I will be speaking up.

I have no expectation that the offending poster will take any notice of me, but maybe the poor newbie will realise that they don't have to listen to that plonker's advice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
There are things that have gone on behind the scenes in the past that have made me "appear" bitter on here despite me joining here 3 years ago as a clueless newbie who didn't know what a carb even was and who trusted everyone and that I have evidence of if need be so in my opinion things are not perfect here so more transparency and changes do need to be made..-I'm no saint and I've made mistakes that I admit but some of the things that have happened are not fair or impartial in any way and it needs addressing.

Edited due to negative remarks regarding staff.

Reactions: 3 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes @Brunneria I do agree with what you are saying. It's the answer I would have given myself if I had had the energy to reply.

Paul24

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When I was first diagnosed the information I received from my GP was laughable, but the help I received here was fantastic.
Then it started to feel like people where trying to get me to use there diet and did not value other peoples opinions so I did not post as I felt intimidated by there attitude

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Sometimes I think there should be a dislike button,

There was a thread I created several months ago on a sad button, but people misread it as an abuse and not that it makes my mood sad. In the end it was decided like is probably good enough

K

Kat100

When I was first diagnosed the information I received from my GP was laughable, but the help I received here was fantastic.
Then it started to feel like people where trying to get me to use there diet and did not value other peoples opinions so I did not post as I felt intimidated by there attitude
Hi that is sad , but you are not alone ..it has happened to others as well ...glad to see you still here ..with the confidence to post ...take care ...

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Feedback : I formally report @Giverny for changing her avatar from the Lush Jaime Lannister to a bl**dy sheep! :eek:

I have seen more sheep in the last two weeks than most people ever will in several lifetimes, and I prefer the eye candy ;):D

It's intimidation, say I ! :p

Signy
Aren't sheep eye candy?:facepalm:

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Status
Not open for further replies.