Are we losing the plot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Just fluff up your feathers instead of letting them get ruffled. :)

(That for anyone who is unsure is a bit of banter from a member who thinks she knows another member well enough to be so bold).

Trouble is I'm in the middle of my winter moult. so fewer feathers on board.

Reactions: 6 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Grump is good .
I do good grump .

I must rein in the banter though .
Over and out .
( Until I just can't resist )

Signy

Personally, I don't have any problem with banter. Indeed, it's often how we gain an insight into someone's real character, and some people are even nice!!!

As regards meandering off-track; as I said already, I almost expect that, although it's disappointing if it's on a very serious topic, or a thread posted by a vulnerable newbie, or indeed when the meandering takes the form of all-out conflict. If we were to go back and look at withered thread of more than a handful of posts, it could be interesting to see how many wander off. I won't bother doing it until the next passage of aero-pigs, but you get the drift.

:)

Reactions: 2 people

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
That gets a yes from me. There is already a couple of threads for this started by the very talented @Brunneria. (Room. 101).
Here is another thread started up as fun and banter .
It has been set up within the greetings and introduction sub form .
Not sure if this is best place/setting to set things like this up .

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/maybe-im-mad-but.65507/

We all do need plenty of smiles and some fun and lots of laughter .
I was thinking more of where to place this within the forum .
As the forum has grown hugely in size its harder to locate where the
banter and fun may very well be situated .
Hence my inspirational idea of a banter box .

Like the picture thread I set up ages ago .
Thing is with the pictures yes they can make us smile and laugh .
But it can feel a little lonely if you see what I mean ?
Can be a bit banter less and soon we may feel the need to wander
someplace else .

The general chat sub forum does offer a variety of options to
discuss other topics and things like rooms 101 plus the pub there too .
Banter box could be like a sourced zone area for more mad fun and banter is
the best way of putting it !
You can all seek/locate out the area and see what fun is happening .
Ensured of joining in and having sum fun and plenty of laughs .

Same with the late night owl members (or others struggling to sleep )
They can feel a little lonely seeking others to banter along with .
Sense of support and some company is needed when rest of world slumbers .

annelise

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unfriendly and bigotted persons; i.e. persons who do not have an open or enquiring mind - but all within reason - persons may have a reason to appear as such - we will never know their backgrounds or where they come from ...
Well, I have so far not contributed to this thread but have read all the posts – and have had some thoughts along the way.

When I first joined, I was totally shot down, certainly not an encouraging thing for a newbie having no idea what this D-thing was all about. So it was only a year later that I came back.

I am not a newbie anymore, and I totally support that especially 'newbies' posts should be replied to in a friendly and encouraging way.

Just now, I went back to my introductory post and saw that the very unkind post which scared me off the forum had been removed.

annelise

Sara J

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sounds good love abit of Banter !!
Am I replying in the right place ??

@annelise. Thanks for the newbie advice. No one likes a bully !!

BM 7.7. Woohooo, go me !!

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Personally, I don't have any problem with banter. Indeed, it's often how we gain an insight into someone's real character, and some people are even nice!!!

Agreed, and I wouldn't want to see banter pigeonholed to its own section. It would lose much of its spontaneity. But yes there's a time and a place.

Reactions: 5 people

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Agreed, and I wouldn't want to see banter pigeonholed to its own section. It would lose much of its spontaneity. But yes there's a time and a place.
Nope it wouldn't and shouldn't be pigeonholed .

A zone area to head towards for a bit of fun , laughs, smiles
and banter with others .

Company for any member in mood for some fun or banter .
Any time of day or night too .
Sat simply viewing threads and posting replies in seriousness
can get a tad lonely I feel .

Reactions: 3 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well it's OK as long as we can still have a laugh and a joke on serious threads too, because sometimes that's what keeps the thread going and it doesn't have to disrupt it, it can bind it all together nicely.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Well it's OK as long as we can still have a laugh and a joke on serious threads too, because sometimes that's what keeps the thread going and it doesn't have to disrupt it, it can bind it all together nicely.
Somehow a laugh and a joke will always enter a discussion .
It adds a streak of sunshine into a thread .
Warm and shines enhances the flow of discussion .
The thread will engage and bind great .

It is when repeated posts of banter stop or change the rhythm
and flow of a great discussion .
It can and does lose its magic or mojo .

Reactions: 7 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
@semiphonic started a World Cup thread and a 14/15 season thread which is still going and there is quite a bit of banter, because we support different clubs.
I have started an e-book thread, which one or two contribute now and then.

Any threads that members can use for their interests should be encouraged and most should be full of banter.

Well done everyone for the thread.

Except for the sheep!

Falling down goats would be fun!

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Nope it wouldn't and shouldn't be pigeonholed .

A zone area to head towards for a bit of fun , laughs, smiles
and banter with others .

Company for any member in mood for some fun or banter .
Any time of day or night too .
Sat simply viewing threads and posting replies in seriousness
can get a tad lonely I feel .

I avoid the jokes part of the forum, because even though I like to laugh I object to jokes that rely on tired old stereotypes, that I consider offensive. I am sure we all have our individual opinions on what is acceptable, and I did face quite a backlash when I said I didn't find a particular 'joke' funny due to it using a stereotypical tone regarding a culture. A banter area would probably descend to that sort of humour sometimes. Not sure how that could be moderated. If you enter the banter area are exempted from being upset by content of banter?

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Well, whilst all this lovely "banter" has been going on regarding openness and fairness on this great forum a good guy Paul1976 received a lifetime ban with no explanation. Just an anonymous message telling him he was "Unsavioury and poisonous" ! Such a shame and needless. Paul offered great advice and never warranted this. Take care guys, I'm back off to hibernate again :)

Reactions: 5 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, whilst all this lovely "banter" has been going on regarding openness and fairness on this great forum a good guy Paul1976 received a lifetime ban with no explanation. Just an anonymous message telling him he was "Unsavioury and poisonous" ! Such a shame and needless. Paul offered great advice and never warranted this. Take care guys, I'm back off to hibernate again :)

Hi Mo! :) Yes I am very upset by this too, Paul was one of the members who really helped me through his sense of humour when I was a newbie, if it hadn't been for him and one other person I wouldn't have started posting regularly. I will really miss him and I miss you posting here too. Paul was very good at recognising trolls and alerting us to them, he gave good advice and was really witty. He'll be a great loss, as are you. Have a good day:)

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

That would suggest a fault in protocol. Surely if we are posting 'unsavoury and poisonous' messages we need to have more detail and know who is banning us? What about a right to reply or appeal?

Reactions: 4 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

A long time coming for Paul, in fairness he has rode his luck.

Nice to see you back Mo, how's things going?

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A long time coming for Paul, in fairness he has rode his luck.

Rode his luck?! He spoke his mind, pointed out trolls and was witty. He reported spam messages and in my opinion was a good member. I haven't seen anything unsavoury or poisonous from him at all, but I've seen it from a few others....and they are still here. How on earth is that fairness?

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
That would suggest a fault in protocol. Surely if we are posting 'unsavoury and poisonous' messages we need to have more detail and know who is banning us? What about a right to reply or appeal?
Exactly my point. I'm not suggesting anyone should never receive a lifetime ban but that is a serious thing in my opinion. I'm aware that Paul occasionally ruffled feathers but he was never "poisonous or unsavoury". He was passionate about low carb and helping others. My main point though is this happened whilst you were all discussing openness, fairness and accountability which is a bit strange. Also, if Paul really deserved this ( which I doubt very much ), whoever gave the ban should at least have had the courage to fully explain why instead of hiding behind automatic messaging. This is a low point for DCUK in my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.

Appalling treatment, you can't just make a sweeping generalisation like 'unsavoury and poisonous'. Would anyone say that someone is 'unsavoury and poisonous' in open forum? Where are the specifics?

And I thought we were making some headway on transparency.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Rode his luck?! He spoke his mind, pointed out trolls and was witty. He reported spam messages and in my opinion was a good member. I haven't seen anything unsavoury or poisonous from him at all, but I've seen it from a few others....and they are still here. How on earth is that fairness?

By Paul's own admission he has said it himself many times before, people only get banned for a reason and I expect that the Mods/Admin team would have looked at his previous history on the forum before they came to this decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.