Type 2's: What was your fasting blood glucose in a morning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
These are the NICE guidance targets used by the NHS

Non diabetic before meals 4 to 5.9, after 2 hours under 7.8
Type 2 before meals 4 to 7, after 2 hours under 8.5.

However, the general feeling is these targets are too generous so many of us aim for under 7.8 at any time after meals and under 6 before meals. Many others aim for less than that. Some people see a lot of 4's, but not many see 3's, and for some people under 4 can make them feel poorly.
Apparently, our lowest readings are normally before our main evening meal, and our morning fasting is the most stubborn one to control.

It is best to set your own targets, and not a wise idea to compare your readings with others. We are all at different stages of controlling this disease, we all have different metabolisms, and some have different types of medication whilst others have no meds at all.

An excellent post!

All I would add is that if you are newly diagnosed and find yourself with numbers which may exceed these recommended ranges, you need to be patient and get your readings within the NICE targets, or even within tighter personal target ranges, gradually over time.

In my opinion, the best way to do this is by concentrating on getting your 2 hour after meal readings within 2 mmol of the corresponding before meal readings. If you are not achieving this, then adjust your next meal to include less carbs or a different type of carb.

Once you start hitting this 2 mmol target consistently, you should see a gradual reducing trend in pre meal counts as well.

If newly diagnosed, treat the low scores posted by more experienced users of this forum as examples of what is achievable once good diabetic habits are established.

Never take any count, no matter how high, as a sign of failure on your behalf. Glucose counts are just data, necessary feedback you need along the way to better glycemic control.

We all learn through our mistakes anyway!

Pavlos

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 10 people

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My 5,1 waking up level came down to 4,6 following an 8km morning walk to get myself in place to shoot the sun rising over a nearby olive orchard.
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1413264069.502364.jpg

Who knew a photography habit would turn out to be beneficial to my glycemic control!

Pavlos

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 8 people

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
6.3 this morning ...these levels completely mistify me.... I used to sleep so well now i am awake every few hours and couldn't get to sleep last night even though was tired out ...lets see what the levels do today :confused:

Reactions: 2 people

JohnD54

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rice
5.8 pre breakfast, really must do more out of bed. (@ the moment don't like to disturb other half, she's putting up with enough life changes with me at the moment)

Reactions: 3 people

Sallybear

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
9.0 this morning, day two of the new meds, but off to the hospital to go onto insulin today so won't really have enough time on the new meds to see if they could help.

alliebee

Yes it is a bit..my morning average is about 9. Daytime readings lovely but morning has a mind of its own despite the extra metformin and even if I go to bed around 6

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes it is a bit..my morning average is about 9. Daytime readings lovely but morning has a mind of its own despite the extra metformin and even if I go to bed around 6

I thought it was, but there are so many numbers flyong around, it's difficult to really keep track of others' readings. I used to have such a great memory.....:bigtears:

Do you feel uptight before you test in the mornings?

alliebee

Lol. More of a gritted teeth thing as in "know it will be 10"....1 haven't had a morning reading under 9 yet...but 6 5 and one under 4.8 once in the day...trying to be patient and keep calm

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I may take DN advice and try forgazia. (Gapagliflozin)

I was going to suggest giving the fasting readings a bit of an ignoring for a few days, but I can understand why you might or not want to do that!

I think @kimbo1962 takes Gapagliflozin, and it certainly seems to be agreeing with her. It certainly is something to mull over, although I'd be interested to understand how it would impact on the much lower levels you are seeing during the day. If your 4.8 is driven significantly down by Gapagliflozin, how would that work? Would you come off/reduce Metformin or be "forced" to increase the carbs?

As I say, something to mull over, but if you decide to give it a go, you'd want to go to your appointment armed with lots of "what if" questions.

It's all a puzzle..

alliebee

Yes I agree. I've looked into it well. I go naturally a bit low before my evening meal so it would be a trial snd error thing. I think my body just produces this big liver dump and as my readings come down it may just come into line. I'm never going to increase carbs again though. I feel too good on this lchf

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I am so irritated..

5.1 on going to bed at 11-20pm (monthly bedtime average 5.3 so normal range for me)
6.0 at 2-15am
6.0 on waking (monthly fasting average 5.5)

slept well but maybe it is stress over my oncology review this morning. If it is, why isn't it affecting my day time readings though? We'll see what happens tomorrow.

Reactions: 4 people
Status
Not open for further replies.