FREESTYLE LIBRE ON SALE!!!!

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm dreading having to take my first sensor off Friday, it is still well and truly welded to my arm. I'll put the new one on the other arm and bet I'll try to scan the wrong side.

Just about to bite the bullet and buy enough sensors to get me through Christmas. My wallet says NO! but I'm hooked, cutting way down on finger pricks, having learnt how the scan results behave it gives very good indicator of where my BG is headed and where it probably is.

Anyone getting annoyed that the reports do midnight to midnight only? I really want to see the graphs from 19:30 (when I eat my main meal) to 19:30 the next day. I can get to see what the meal does, where I've been and what damage the dawn phenomena has done on one piece of paper. At the moment I'm cutting and pasting them together with photoshop.
If you select yesterday and today in the date range then you should get 2 reports on one page (unless you do a load of scans in an hour). Not perfect but reasonably easy to see what's happened.

Screen Shot 2014-11-05 at 14.16.13.png

Reactions: 2 people

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My a1c is 5.8% :)

what does sensor data captured indicate?

igmr

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
If you select yesterday and today in the date range then you should get 2 reports on one page (unless you do a load of scans in an hour). Not perfect but reasonably easy to see what's happened.

View attachment 8019

But entirely unnecessary. I'm a programmer in real life, I know how easy it would be to program a user specified start time as well as date for the reports. Software brought to market in a rush.

Of course you can patch the graphs together. If I could be bothered it'd only take a few minutes to dump the data and throw together a once off Excel graph as well but its unnecessary work that the computer software should do.

I want to be able to go to my GP / DSN / Consultant with a pretty set of standard printed graphs showing exactly where the wheels fall off my control, not have to get them to read across separate pages. Make it easy for them and me.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all but besotted with the meter and what it is telling me. The software is ragged which grates against my professional viewpoint. but early days, I'm sure Abbott will sort it if the meter is a commercial success.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Well, it's here now:

DSC_0194_zpsgdoepnhv.jpg

And the sensor is in and counting down...

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My 2 week round up:
Day 1 – I put the sensor on, pretty painless and quickly got used to the patch being there
Days 1-3 – the accuracy was pretty bad, but after day 4 really improved.
Day 4> I became more and more confident that the results were correct, and some days I didn’t even finger test!

Advantages:
1. My fingers are healing!!
2. I can test anytime, anywhere. Life changing moments include testing on a crowded tube on the Circle Line, during meetings, at night time and whilst out shopping
3. I haven’t had to go to the pharmacy for more test strips in almost 2 weeks, and still have loads left!
4. The data it gives you when you connect to your laptop is fantastic!

What I’ve learned:
1. My BG goes very low very night, so I have adjusted my basal
2. My blood sugar peaks after meals, so I increased the time between injection and food
3. Porridge is not my friend

Negatives:
1. The stickiness came off after swimming so I’ve been wearing a massive plaster over it

All in all very happy :D

Reactions: 10 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
First sensor test done... Along with comparison blood test done ten minutes ago. Blood showed 6.3 mmol/l, current sensor showed 6.7mmol/l, and a nice horizontal arrow. Very exciting. :cool:

Reactions: 6 people

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
But entirely unnecessary. I'm a programmer in real life, I know how easy it would be to program a user specified start time as well as date for the reports. Software brought to market in a rush.

Of course you can patch the graphs together. If I could be bothered it'd only take a few minutes to dump the data and throw together a once off Excel graph as well but its unnecessary work that the computer software should do.

I want to be able to go to my GP / DSN / Consultant with a pretty set of standard printed graphs showing exactly where the wheels fall off my control, not have to get them to read across separate pages. Make it easy for them and me.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all but besotted with the meter and what it is telling me. The software is ragged which grates against my professional viewpoint. but early days, I'm sure Abbott will sort it if the meter is a commercial success.

I download all my meters including the libre in sidiary and use that the create graphs and reports works well

Sideburnt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
1. My BG goes very low very night, so I have adjusted my basal
2. My blood sugar peaks after meals, so I increased the time between injection and food

I've had the same revelation. I can't believe I've had my sugars go so low overnight for so long (down to 3mmol/l), I'm a bit angry to be honest since I'm so on the ball during the day. I was adamant at my last Endio Appointment that my HBA1C of 5.4% was achieved through hard work.

I was also surprised to see how much of a spike I had with meals larger than 20g of carbs, especially sweet food. Apparently I need to be taking my Bolus 5-10mins before I eat which is notoriously tricky.

EDIT:
I'm also on my second sensor today, and it's been immediately just as accurate as my previous has been after it settled in. This makes me wonder what was going on with the first sensor even more. Maybe I should have asked for a replacement.

Reactions: 7 people

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've had the same revelation. I can't believe I've had my sugars go so low overnight for so long (down to 3mmol/l), I'm a bit angry to be honest since I'm so on the ball during the day. I was adamant at my last Endio Appointment that my HBA1C of 5.4% was achieved through hard work.

I was also surprised to see how much of a spike I had with meals larger than 20g of carbs, especially sweet food. Apparently I need to be taking my Bolus 5-10mins before I eat which is notoriously tricky.

EDIT:
I'm also on my second sensor today, and it's been immediately just as accurate as my previous has been after it settled in. This makes me wonder what was going on with the first sensor even more. Maybe I should have asked for a replacement.
Good stuff :) yup my sugars have been going below 3 then raising slightly afterwards which is why I thought I was ok! scary!

When I initially phoned abbott to say my sensor was inaccurate they said the next sensors will settle quicker as ur body is used to the "injury" and it won't swell so much :)

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@Emmotha - thanks for the information about the sensors settling and 'injury'. I had no idea about that.

I found a couple of overnight hypos and several overnight BG rises - so really confused what to do about that except change the Levemir to Tresiba! Also found that my BG rises from lunchtime onwards which tells me that the Levemir is simply not lasting the course. I already have a split dose and my consultant was already suggesting I might need to split it into 3 injections. For now, i've increased the morning dose to see if I can make it last til the evening dose without hypo'ing, but all in all, I think it's a change of basal that's required.

Smidge

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I'm hoping that the Libre backs up how I've changed my basal. About a year ago, I moved myself off one shot to two as I was getting high BG at the end of the day, and I think it has worked, but looking forward to the overnights! The easy trend info is great. In the 111 mins I've been wearing it, it's already proving that!

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm hoping that the Libre backs up how I've changed my basal. About a year ago, I moved myself off one shot to two as I was getting high BG at the end of the day, and I think it has worked, but looking forward to the overnights! The easy trend info is great. In the 111 mins I've been wearing it, it's already proving that!
Have you developed scanning OCD? Lol. I was scanning loads in the first few days

Reactions: 4 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Well, it has already proved its worth. On the train on the way home, feeling a bit low, so I thought I'd check. Now the sensor says low. I know that this is early days and it hasn't settled down so I looked at the arrow which showed a sharp decline. Decided that a glucose tab top up was a good idea following this morning, and I'm now showing a flat arrow five mins later. Interesting hypo prevention.!

Reactions: 5 people

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just took my old one off and new one on. I'm such a wimp but it didn't hurt at all :)

Reactions: 3 people

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Interesting to see that the 'needle' is just a plastic filament (or did something get left in my arm :eek: )

logindetails

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Neuropathy :-(
Interesting to see that the 'needle' is just a plastic filament (or did something get left in my arm :eek: )
The needle, which is quite a big ****** btw, stays in the applicator (thank God!) - it is just used to insert the flexible filament then not needed any more.

Reactions: 4 people