FREESTYLE LIBRE ON SALE!!!!

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Needles don't really bother me, I've had no problem applying the sensors but was terrified taking mine off earlier....I just couldn't prise it away from my arm....anyone have any tips? I ended up using tweezers to lift the adhesive.

Well, I can recommend walking into a door frame as an excellent sensor-removal technique. Mine came straight off in one movement- a sharp scratch and done. Not even a bruise which is a miracle for me.

Smidge

Reactions: 5 people

Martin864

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone,

I have been getting on quite well with mine over the past two weeks, but now I may have a problem. I changed the sensor over at 1900 today and since then, the graph isn't populating! The readings are fine, just no graph. I have done the reader automatic test, which has passed.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Omnipod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
View attachment 7822 Hi all.
I'm worried about my night time readings. I went to bed with BG 5.5 (at 9pm just before I went to sleep) and woke up at 4.6 (by finger prick so the Libre is quite accurate at the mo). I took my last bolus at 5pm which was 0.5 units because I only had 17 carbs, so that would have gone by 9. At about 1am I woke up hypo and drank some lucazade.
Should I be reducing my Lantas at night? If so by how much? I only take ten units (I'm still in my honeymoon)
Thanks

Id definately say you should decrease your lantus by 2 units and then see.
I personally would not go to bed at 5.5 without having a small snack. I find a few spoons of yoghurt before bed always helps me.

Reactions: 2 people

Omnipod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My first sensor expired yesterday so before putting on a new sensor, I decided to test it.
After my workout, I sat in the jacuzzi and it stayed on. I then had a steam and it stayed on.
I removed it afterwards so they do stick rather well.

I applied my 2nd sensor but this time it hurt and it still hurts. I had a bad night sleep because it hurt quite a lot. Im hoping that the pain goes.
Anyone else had some pain / discomfort?

After my first 2 weeks, I must say, I love it. I have every confidence in it. My variance between pricking and scanning is so minimal. I have learned so much and tweaked my treatment. My graph is becoming steadier by the day. My average BG is dropping. Im staying more within normal readings.
I have even stopped finger pricking. This week, I only finger pricked twice!

I now just keep my scanner in my pocket and it goes everywhere with me.

It would be great if ABBOTT now transformed the scanner into a 'Nike type' band which uploaded your results wirelessly into the cloud & your PC - I HOPE YOURE READING THIS THREAD ABBOTT!!!!!!

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had the same trouble as mine was very well stuck. I managed to work my fingernail under the edge and once I'd gone round a semicircle, I could prise it off. Still left a bit of a bruise.

View attachment 8026

Crazy that some of us struggle to keep ours stuck on and other find it hard to get off!!

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Having done a Smidge to mine last night, mine doesn't seem to have budged and is still functioning. Sensor 1 - Door Frame 0.

I've a few other observations after less than 24 hours of using it.

1. The trend information is brilliant. It's what I wanted it for and I think it's the answer to maintaining a stable blood sugar. The point values really aren't that important and if it is 1-1.5 mmol/l out from the blood test, it doesn't matter. The key is that little arrow and using it in association with the number. It's fantastic to know that my blood sugar is declining or increasing, and how fast this is taking place. It means that I have much more control over the corrective action I can take and that this action will stop hypo or hyper occurring simply because I can see what is going on more or less real time.
  2. I'm learning that the feelings I associated with high/low bloods are (as I suspected) linked to the changing BS potentially more than the actual level. Handy information to have.
  3. The User Interface on the Libre is perhaps one of the better ones for entering Insulin and Carbs. I've used Accu-Chek Aviva and Mobile, Contour NXT and USB, Abbot Insulinx and Optium, BGStar and Verio IQ. (Yes, I'm a sucker for free monitors). While the interaction of the touch screen leaves a little to be desired (it's hardly sensitive), using the interface for me is definitely the best of the meters I've tried. It's relatively straightforward and easy to use and fits with my way of thinking. Of course, your mileage may vary, but I've not felt that it's worth using this feature in other meters because it was just too hard. I guess the longer term data also helps with the encouragement to use this. Now all I need is the app on my phone rather than the meter.

So my first few hours with the Libre are proving to be as exciting and revolutionary as others have found. I'm not sure how we convince NICE that these are worth it, but the trend data has to be the way for me. It is what I've been after for a very long time and I think it's the start of a diabetes care revolution that will see much better control and balance offered to all those who want it.

darrenh04

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have to say, taking off my old sensor was anything but painless. New sensor has started off much more accurate than the last one though. Now thinking of buying some more sensors. Abbott say max of 2 in an order and max of 1 order every 14 days. So, need to judge this right to have enough for xmas.

I did start to use the meter to record carbs etc, but soon realised you can't put a note against the exercise to know what you did. Have now gone back to phone app for recording carbs, exercise and bg readings I take before driving.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 3 people

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have to say, taking off my old sensor was anything but painless. New sensor has started off much more accurate than the last one though. Now thinking of buying some more sensors. Abbott say max of 2 in an order and max of 1 order every 14 days. So, need to judge this right to have enough for xmas.

I did start to use the meter to record carbs etc, but soon realised you can't put a note against the exercise to know what you did. Have now gone back to phone app for recording carbs, exercise and bg readings I take before driving.

I stopped using the meter for that as I'm on pump and use much smaller dose increments than it allows! I still tick for food/insulin/exercise etc though so I know at a glance when I last ate etc

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

You can put in a note with whatever you want. You use the software to customise it like this
libre.JPG

Reactions: 7 people

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I applied my 2nd sensor but this time it hurt and it still hurts. I had a bad night sleep because it hurt quite a lot. Im hoping that the pain goes.
Anyone else had some pain / discomfort?

I did with my first one, but not with the second one. When the first one came off, I could see that it had bled, so I'm assuming I hit a blood vessel or something. It was more discomfort than pain, and it went after about 2 days.

Hope your's eases soon.

Smidge

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Has anyone done experiments on themselves using this thing? Given the way it shows your rate of change of BG, I plan to eat a variety of food stuffs to see the rate of change impact, and then play around with Insulins as well. While I know others have identified patterns in what they eat, I wondered whether anyone had deliberately set out to discover some of these things?

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Has anyone done experiments on themselves using this thing? Given the way it shows your rate of change of BG, I plan to eat a variety of food stuffs to see the rate of change impact, and then play around with Insulins as well. While I know others have identified patterns in what they eat, I wondered whether anyone had deliberately set out to discover some of these things?

I deliberately ate a sandwich a few days after starting to use the Libre. I had two slices of bread from a Warburton's small seeded loaf, so tiny little slices of about 8g carb each. I took what should have been more than enough rapid-acting to cover it, but my BG shot up to nearly 16mmol. It was quite a shock really!

Smidge

darrenh04

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You can put in a note with whatever you want. You use the software to customise it like thisView attachment 8032

Just checked this as though you might have the solution, but only allows you to put a note.

For example I have 3 different running routines and go for different durations depending on one thing or another so need the details as they impact my bg differently.

Thanks

Like you can put a value against the insulin

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I deliberately ate a sandwich a few days after starting to use the Libre. I had two slices of bread from a Warburton's small seeded loaf, so tiny little slices of about 8g carb each. I took what should have been more than enough rapid-acting to cover it, but my BG shot up to nearly 16mmol. It was quite a shock really!

Smidge
Think I've got some fun coming up over the next couple of weeks. Will be trying out the instant action dextrose tabs (see how instant they are), the effect of NovoRapid on me (to see how rapid it is (and thus far I'm estimating it's pretty rapid on what I've seen in 24 hours) and more interestingly perhaps, the effect of complexified food types, like cake and chocolate, on BS. Do the fats really make a difference?

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Just checked this as though you might have the solution, but only allows you to put a note.

For example I have 3 different running routines and go for different durations depending on one thing or another so need the details as they impact my bg differently.

Thanks

Like you can put a value against the insulin

Couldn't you put that as three different notes? Run 1, Run 2 and Run 3?

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Think I've got some fun coming up over the next couple of weeks. Will be trying out the instant action dextrose tabs (see how instant they are), the effect of NovoRapid on me (to see how rapid it is (and thus far I'm estimating it's pretty rapid on what I've seen in 24 hours) and more interestingly perhaps, the effect of complexified food types, like cake and chocolate, on BS. Do the fats really make a difference?

I've confirmed what I previously thought, Novorapid is not at all rapid on me :( minimal change for almost an hour after Bolus. Means my prebolus regime has gone up!

Reactions: 2 people

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've confirmed what I previously thought, Novorapid is not at all rapid on me :( minimal change for almost an hour after Bolus. Means my prebolus regime has gone up!
I think the manufacturers should rethink the terms rapid or fast acting. I use humalog & it takes quite a while to get going. Injection site location also makes a big difference as we already know.