FREESTYLE LIBRE ON SALE!!!!

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Am I right in saying that the monthly cost for this would be two sensors, i.e. £115 per month? The only one-off cost is the start-up pack?

It's £101.52 per month. That covers two sensors and postage. That is the running cost, starter pack is only required once

JaneC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It's £101.52 per month. That covers two sensors and postage. That is the running cost, starter pack is only required once
The postage for 2 sensors seems over the top as is the packaging!

JaneC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Has anyone returned a faulty used sensor to Abbotts yet? I have to return one. They have sent a biohazard bag and a padded envelope with a post-paid label. The instructions say to put in the two biohazard bags and the pre-paid box provided. There is no instruction on cleaning the sensor and nothing provided to do so. I don't think the bag and envelope provided is suitable for transporting a used device with dried blood and a needle (the flexible filament) through the post. I could use the box the new sensor came in to protect post workers I guess, but am still worried about whoever opens it in Abbotts. What has everyone else done about returning them? In the past when i've had to return a used BG meter to Roche, they have sent very specific instructions to remove all sharps and have included antibacterial cloths to clean the device.

Smidge
I've returned one today, the sensor is slim with no sharp attached so the sealed plastic bag and Jiffy bag seem quite adequate to me. It's marked Complaints I think so should be easily identifiable to Libre staff as to what it is. Would imagine they'll be getting a few by now!

JaneC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
£4 is not unreasonable considering its a courier! Would obviously prefer if it was free though lol
You have a point!

Re courier,deliveryI'm often out and don't want to go through the calling the courier back, re arranging the delivery scenario each time. Would rather collect from local Post Office delivery office.

logindetails

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Neuropathy :-(
Has anyone returned a faulty used sensor to Abbotts yet? I have to return one. They have sent a biohazard bag and a padded envelope with a post-paid label. The instructions say to put in the two biohazard bags and the pre-paid box provided. There is no instruction on cleaning the sensor and nothing provided to do so. I don't think the bag and envelope provided is suitable for transporting a used device with dried blood and a needle (the flexible filament) through the post. I could use the box the new sensor came in to protect post workers I guess, but am still worried about whoever opens it in Abbotts. What has everyone else done about returning them? In the past when i've had to return a used BG meter to Roche, they have sent very specific instructions to remove all sharps and have included antibacterial cloths to clean the device.

Smidge
LOL - I've returned 3.
I just stick it to a piece of card with my name, customer number and case number (if any) on it, pop it in the bio bag then into the padded envelope and post it. It's perfectly safe, no way the filament is going to poke through and prick the postie and I'm sure Abbott are very experienced in handing returned sensors - they should be with the number that have been returned.

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You have a point!

Re courier,deliveryI'm often out and don't want to go through the calling the courier back, re arranging the delivery scenario each time. Would rather collect from local Post Office delivery office.

Yeah the courier dumped mine outside my house which I wasn't pleased with. Next sensors are being delivered to my parents!

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My sensors were delivered last Friday - luckily DPD sent me a text or I would have missed them. Abbott only emailed me this morning to say they'd been dispatched.

logindetails

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Neuropathy :-(
Re courier,delivery I'm often out and don't want to go through the calling the courier back, re arranging the delivery scenario each time. Would rather collect from local Post Office delivery office.
The courier is DPD in the UK. You can track the delivery - it'll show you a day and timeslot so you can arrange to be in or if not you can rearrange the delivery day or ask for the package to be left somewhere - so it's not too bad.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
They also deliver to work, which is where my stuff comes to.

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Awesome, that's affordable for me! So where do you order them from? Their website say's they're £57.95 each.

igmr

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Both my starter pack and 2 x new sensors were delivered in 3 working days - 5 days in total for weekends.

Order off the Freestyle Libre web site. You can get VAT off if you declare that you are eligible,

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Awesome, that's affordable for me! So where do you order them from? Their website say's they're £57.95 each.

Yes that's right, but you then select a check box that you confirm that you have diabetes and are eligible for VAT exemption

Reactions: 2 people

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes that's right, but you then select a check box that you confirm that you have diabetes and are eligible for VAT exemption
Perfect, thanks! I'll be ordering one on payday. Excited!

daniT1D

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So, when I had my first sensor on I couldn't understand why you were all buying tape, plasters etc. day 2 of my second sensor and I was getting changed from the gym and noticed it hanging! The fibre wasn't the whole way out so I've covered it in tape but it's not going to last 10 more days :(

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

darrenh04

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had the same Dani. First came off a little but was well attached when it came to taking off. Second is half off after 4 days.

Tape out and looking for longterm option as planning to order two more sensors tomorrow.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hill28

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Uhm..diabetes
Dear all,

I read a lot of all your comments. Thank you for sharing all the experiences with FreestyleLibre. I am hesitating to buy one, cause i still have some questions. Maybe you could help me with?

- i read a lot about skin-irritations from the needle, are there also people not feeling any pain or 'dead' arm/fingers? I imagine the spot could get itchy, like an infusion in hospital which I really dont like to have..

- do you stretch your arm when inserting the sensor? Otherwise the needle would go into your muscle, wouldn't it?

- what about taking the sensor off your arm? No risk of leaving the needle behind when you take the sticker off? Is it painful?

- and last, any fitniss or footballplayers around? What about training your triceps for example with this device on it?

If I buy it I will share my experience for sure, for now I need yours!

Best regards,

Hill28, the netherlands

jackois

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hill28....

No irritation & i'm on my second sensor, no pain, dead fingers whatsoever.

Nothing special with arm stretching & so on. Load the sensor into the applicator, rest it where you want to put the sensor & press firmly. Take the applicator off leaving the sensor stuck to your arm.

The 'needle' is more like a 5mm filament and stays firmly to the sensor when removed. Removal is no more painful than removing a plaster from a cut.

Fitness wise, I play golf and have had a sensor on each arm with no fears of it coming off. An Abbott rep said that you can use extra sticky tape or a cuff to hold it more firmly while playing sport. I did try it with a cuff that I made by cutting the elasticated section from a sock & this was also fine.

Best of all, I can now check my blood sugar 20 to 30 times during a round of golf without stopping and getting the gear out for a blood test. Between shots with no hold ups and so on.

Finally, my first sensor didn't last the full fortnight, with there being periods where the sensor wasn't being recognised, but Abbotts are replacing it & asking for the old one back to see what went wrong with it.

hope this helps you make up your mind.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Having just come back from a gym session where I've weight trained my triceps to failure, it's fair to say that I've had no problem with doing that.

I've also not suffered skin irritation and it's easy to forget it is there.

On a different note, those of you who loaded up the second sensor to give it a chance to stabilise before you registered it. Did anyone have any problems with this?

Hill28

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Uhm..diabetes
Thank you guys! I think I will order one and give it a try. Too bad I am in Belgium this week so the website wont let me order yet, even tough I live in the Netherlands..