1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

FREESTYLE LIBRE ON SALE!!!!

Discussion in 'Blood Glucose Monitoring' started by Emmotha, Oct 16, 2014.

1. hale710

hale710 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

It's £101.52 per month. That covers two sensors and postage. That is the running cost, starter pack is only required once

2. JaneC

JaneC Type 1 · Well-Known Member

The postage for 2 sensors seems over the top as is the packaging!

3. hale710

£4 is not unreasonable considering its a courier! Would obviously prefer if it was free though lol

4. JaneC

I've returned one today, the sensor is slim with no sharp attached so the sealed plastic bag and Jiffy bag seem quite adequate to me. It's marked Complaints I think so should be easily identifiable to Libre staff as to what it is. Would imagine they'll be getting a few by now!

5. JaneC

You have a point!

Re courier,deliveryI'm often out and don't want to go through the calling the courier back, re arranging the delivery scenario each time. Would rather collect from local Post Office delivery office.

6. logindetails

logindetails Type 1 · Well-Known Member

LOL - I've returned 3.
    I just stick it to a piece of card with my name, customer number and case number (if any) on it, pop it in the bio bag then into the padded envelope and post it. It's perfectly safe, no way the filament is going to poke through and prick the postie and I'm sure Abbott are very experienced in handing returned sensors - they should be with the number that have been returned.

7. hale710

Yeah the courier dumped mine outside my house which I wasn't pleased with. Next sensors are being delivered to my parents!

8. robert72

robert72 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

My sensors were delivered last Friday - luckily DPD sent me a text or I would have missed them. Abbott only emailed me this morning to say they'd been dispatched.

9. logindetails

logindetails Type 1 · Well-Known Member

The courier is DPD in the UK. You can track the delivery - it'll show you a day and timeslot so you can arrange to be in or if not you can rearrange the delivery day or ask for the package to be left somewhere - so it's not too bad.

10. tim2000s

tim2000s Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

They also deliver to work, which is where my stuff comes to.

11. SamJB

SamJB Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Awesome, that's affordable for me! So where do you order them from? Their website say's they're £57.95 each.

12. igmr

igmr Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Both my starter pack and 2 x new sensors were delivered in 3 working days - 5 days in total for weekends.

Order off the Freestyle Libre web site. You can get VAT off if you declare that you are eligible,

13. hale710

Yes that's right, but you then select a check box that you confirm that you have diabetes and are eligible for VAT exemption

• Like Like x 2
  14. SamJB

SamJB Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Perfect, thanks! I'll be ordering one on payday. Excited!

15. daniT1D

daniT1D Type 1 · Well-Known Member

So, when I had my first sensor on I couldn't understand why you were all buying tape, plasters etc. day 2 of my second sensor and I was getting changed from the gym and noticed it hanging! The fibre wasn't the whole way out so I've covered it in tape but it's not going to last 10 more days :(

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

16. darrenh04

darrenh04 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I had the same Dani. First came off a little but was well attached when it came to taking off. Second is half off after 4 days.

Tape out and looking for longterm option as planning to order two more sensors tomorrow.

#1056 darrenh04, Nov 10, 2014 at 9:11 PM
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2014
  17. Hill28

Hill28 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Dear all,

I read a lot of all your comments. Thank you for sharing all the experiences with FreestyleLibre. I am hesitating to buy one, cause i still have some questions. Maybe you could help me with?

- i read a lot about skin-irritations from the needle, are there also people not feeling any pain or 'dead' arm/fingers? I imagine the spot could get itchy, like an infusion in hospital which I really dont like to have..

- do you stretch your arm when inserting the sensor? Otherwise the needle would go into your muscle, wouldn't it?

- what about taking the sensor off your arm? No risk of leaving the needle behind when you take the sticker off? Is it painful?

- and last, any fitniss or footballplayers around? What about training your triceps for example with this device on it?

If I buy it I will share my experience for sure, for now I need yours!

Best regards,

Hill28, the netherlands

18. jackois

jackois Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hill28....

No irritation & i'm on my second sensor, no pain, dead fingers whatsoever.

Nothing special with arm stretching & so on. Load the sensor into the applicator, rest it where you want to put the sensor & press firmly. Take the applicator off leaving the sensor stuck to your arm.

The 'needle' is more like a 5mm filament and stays firmly to the sensor when removed. Removal is no more painful than removing a plaster from a cut.

Fitness wise, I play golf and have had a sensor on each arm with no fears of it coming off. An Abbott rep said that you can use extra sticky tape or a cuff to hold it more firmly while playing sport. I did try it with a cuff that I made by cutting the elasticated section from a sock & this was also fine.

Best of all, I can now check my blood sugar 20 to 30 times during a round of golf without stopping and getting the gear out for a blood test. Between shots with no hold ups and so on.

Finally, my first sensor didn't last the full fortnight, with there being periods where the sensor wasn't being recognised, but Abbotts are replacing it & asking for the old one back to see what went wrong with it.

hope this helps you make up your mind.

19. tim2000s

tim2000s Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

Having just come back from a gym session where I've weight trained my triceps to failure, it's fair to say that I've had no problem with doing that.

I've also not suffered skin irritation and it's easy to forget it is there.

On a different note, those of you who loaded up the second sensor to give it a chance to stabilise before you registered it. Did anyone have any problems with this?

20. Hill28

Hill28 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Thank you guys! I think I will order one and give it a try. Too bad I am in Belgium this week so the website wont let me order yet, even tough I live in the Netherlands..

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook