1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

FREESTYLE LIBRE ON SALE!!!!

Discussion in 'Blood Glucose Monitoring' started by Emmotha, Oct 16, 2014.

1. Kev Goodgroove

Kev Goodgroove Type 1 · Newbie

I've been a Libre user for nearly 2 weeks .. 1st sensor has been extremely accurate. Been T1 28 yrs and tested BG's on average 6 times daily.. This device has totally transformed my whole understanding of how my body reacts to my humalog (via pump )..it's been good as gold so far . I work in the construction trade and am very active so being able to see an approaching low and make adjustments to bolus and basal has been a big success .

• Like Like x 4
  2. darrenh04

darrenh04 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I feel the same as others here. Even with the issues I am just about to order another couple of sensors as this device has helped me lots.

Regarding the 0500 number I believe this is charged the same as an 0800 number.

• Like Like x 2
  3. LucySW

LucySW Type 1 · Well-Known Member

That's exactly what I was looking for. Historic = delayed, and the two bell curves. Thank you!

Lucy

4. mummy3

mummy3 Type 1 · Member

this is the number on there site 008000 - 2255 232

5. cally

cally Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I am sorry to hear that a lot of people are having problems. I did have a few to start with but now things are much better!

I have just reached day 13 of my first sensor. I had my first starter pack replaced by Abbot because it wouldn't scan.
    Since then I have been really happy with my experience and would love to continue to use it full time.
    I will just use one sensor a month and hope it becomes available on prescription soon. It is too expensive for me to use full time.

I have been amazed by the information it provides and have been able to make several changes to my basals to stave off overnight lows that I wasn't even aware of! In result I am sleeping much better.
    The scan results have mostly been within a couple of of points of my finger prick results except for the first day or so. So I have only been finger pricking to give meal boluses and before driving for the last week.
    I love the freedom of being able to swipe and scan whenever I want to. The sensor stayed firmly stuck for two weeks without me sticking anything over it. I haven't been swimming or done anything very sporty so can't comment on that.

So from me it is a thumbs up.

• Like Like x 4
  6. PaulinaB

PaulinaB Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I'm curious, at what price would you guys consider using the system full-time?

7. daniT1D

daniT1D Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I am using full time - can't really afford it but I'm doing it!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

8. PaulinaB

PaulinaB Type 1 · Well-Known Member

At what price would you be comfortable using it full-time?

9. daniT1D

daniT1D Type 1 · Well-Known Member

10. cally

cally Type 1 · Well-Known Member

11. logindetails

logindetails Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I was looking through my Libre reports and came across a very high rise at about 5.30am one morning.

[​IMG]

I remembered that this had occurred after having a curry at 11.00pm the previous night with rice which I had bolused for prior to eating.
    I always thought I was ok with rice and a scan 2 hours after the meal at 1.00am confirmed that my bolus calculation had been correct and I'd successfully circumvented any spike.
    BUT LOOK WHAT HAPPENED FROM 2.15am :facepalm:
    I woke at 5.30am - maybe bebause of the rising sugars - and gave myself some more insulin which stopped the rise.

If I had forgotten what I had eaten the night before I'd have no idea what caused the rise.
    Until now I haven't made use of the notes facility in the software which allows you to add 6 new notes to the reader. I am now adding the following:

Rice
    Pasta
    Potatoes
    Bread/Cake
    Hi-Fat
    Lo-Fat

If I now have a meal consisting of potatoes and bread I can tick these and also if it was a hi or low fat meal (I think that the fat (oil) in the curry is what caused the delayed rise in sugars) and have a much better idea of how and more importantly when different foods affect me.

Are you using the notes facility?

12. tim2000s

tim2000s Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

Quick question for anyone using a mac. Have you been able to install the software? Mine won't accept the signature. We are on OS X Mavericks.

On an unrelated note, I've discovered that protein shakes increase my bg levels as my body converts the protein to glucose when I don't need it!

13. robert72

robert72 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

It's working fine here in Mavericks.

You probably need to look in the Security settings in System Preferences to allow unsigned apps to run.

Screen Shot 2014-11-09 at 16.36.56.png

14. robert72

On a low-carb diet, I have to bolus for protein at around 50%. You might need to experiment to see what your percentage is. I also try to keep my protein intake to around 15% of my calories to ensure consistent results.

15. grant32

grant32 · Member

Wow you have amazing control! Are you on a low carb diet?

16. robert72

Yes. The Libre helps a lot too.

17. grant32

grant32 · Member

It's giving me great insights too. My ultimate aim is to have a chart looking like yours. Mine looks more like a mountain range.

• Like Like x 2
  18. robert72

Mine was a mountain range when I first came here two and a half years ago. There is a lot of good advice from the folks here.

19. LittleGreyCat

LittleGreyCat Type 2 · Well-Known Member

As an interested bystander - I started reading through the whole thread but the sun was up and now it has gone dark - most of the comparison seems to be between finger prick and arm interstitial readings.

Now my meter gives the option of testing at alternate sites such as the lower and upper arm.
    https://www.accu-chek.com/us/glucose-monitoring/alternate-site-testing.html
    says
    "
    Alternate site testing should only be used when blood sugar is stable:

• Immediately before a meal
    • When fasting
    • Near bedtime
    Always check from your fingertip, however, when blood sugar may be changing:

• Following a meal, when blood sugar is rising quickly
    • After exercise
    • Whenever you think your blood sugar might be low or falling
    "
    Which suggests that lancet testing of the arm is likely to lag behind finger pricks.
    So has anyone tried to arm prick (preferably near the site of the sensor) to see how close the sensor is to the arm prick reading?

Just wondering if the difference in readings is a sensor thing or an arm thing.

Cheers

LGC

P.S. I watched a couple of the videos and was tickled (I think) that the obviously USA video had been re-voiced by UK actors who still used the USA pronunciation Lee-Bray as opposed to anyone in Europe who would pronounce it Lee-Bruh (as in Quebec Libre as De Gaulle used to say) because we have been exposed to the French in their native environment.:)

#1019 LittleGreyCat, Nov 9, 2014 at 5:40 PM
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2014
  20. jack412

jack412 Type 2 · Expert

if your google: diabetic pizza effect
    it will give a lot of info and how to minimise it

• Like Like x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook