Can animals / your pets sense when you are not well...

Molly56

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Just wondered if anyone had noticed if their pets can sense when they are not well and indicated this by a change in their behaviour....

I have three cats...a mother and two of her eighteen month old kittens...and have noticed some slightly unusual behaviour in the girl kitten over the last couple of days.

Evidently on both mornings when I have been out at work she has spent most of the time with my partner, laying on the bed by his hand and nibbling at his hand....it could of course be that she just wants company whilst I am out...she is very much a mummy's girl and often walks around the house looking for me and calling for me when i am out (or so my partner tells me) and has a number of other favourite sleeping spots around the house so it just struck me as slightly odd that this is what she has done on the last two days..

Am just curious as to why she is perhaps doing this and whether she is picking up on something that is different.......they say that animals have a sixth sense..

..has anyone else noticed unusual / different behaviour in their pets when say their sugar levels are high or they have been coming down with something?:cat:

Reactions: 6 people

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
IMHO, yes they do.

Neighbour broke her leg short time back (and that was weeks after a double knee replacement) and both her cats would not leave her side when she was bedridden.

They know ... trust me, they know.

Reactions: 10 people

Nuthead

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
They know. I've had dogs over the year's. They can pick up on a lot of ailments.

Reactions: 8 people

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
I've heard that it is possible to train dogs to detect when a person is hypoglycaemic, but maybe that's not what you mean.

Reactions: 4 people

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
In my experience yes!
when i had my bleed stroke, our collie was constantly on watch, acting like a right little nursemaid.
Whilst getting acclimatised to bolus & basal insulin she could tell when i was high or low, and when in the "OK blood " band!
I think it is a blend of smelling your body and watching your behaviour. They are masters of non-verbal communication.

Reactions: 12 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Animals do pick up things. We have two cats, Pebbles and Harley ( he's a OAP) and when I broke my wrist with a big plaster cast on Pebbles was a bit scared at first, but she did then keep trying to cuddle up with it. Also when other things happened, she seemed to know that bad stuff was going on. When cast was removed I had to gently push her away, because she wanted to rub up against the arm and that was impossible. She knew the arm was poorly and I was unwell. Animals are such wonderful creatures and knowing that she 'cared' I'm sure that helped with the healing process:cat: :)

RRB

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
My last dog used to wake me in the night to tell me I was hypo. He once saved my life by going to my nearest neighbour and fetching him to me as I needed urgent help due to a life threatening condition (Addison's crisis) That nearest neighbour was a 1/4 of a mile away. He searched the farm building until he found him and insisted he came and rescued his Mum. Unfortunately I had to have Tanner put down 3 years ago due to a very aggressive malignant tumour in his mouth. :(

Reactions: 18 people

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
My last dog used to wake me in the night to tell me I was hypo. He once saved my life by going to my nearest neighbour and fetching him to me as I needed urgent help due to a life threatening condition (Addison's crisis) That nearest neighbour was a 1/4 of a mile away. He searched the farm building until he found him and insisted he came and rescued his Mum. Unfortunately I had to have Tanner put down 3 years ago due to a very aggressive malignant tumour in his mouth. :(
That's a dog for you! (the sense of loyalty & duty, not the tumour!)

Snowy12

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tuna,People spitting on the floor and ironing.
Have to agree with others our dog used to want to help especially if you had a cut he would try to lick it for you but told him thanks but no thanks he liked licking his privates.

Fallgal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Whoa, CarbsRok! That's amazing. Sorry he had to be put down. :(

I agree that animals are very intuitive. After a bad accident, my 13-year old dog Mandy never left my side. She was extremely gentle with me the whole year I was recuperating and was very careful.

My current dog, Lola (my avatar) was acting funny around me right before I was diagnosed with skin cancer and she was quite the little nurse after my two surgeries.

Since I was diagnosed with T2, she seems to be keenly aware of when I am particularly stressed and seems as if she would climb mountains to comfort me, even if I am not in the mood to be comforted. ;)

Reactions: 2 people

Patricia21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Animal crualty
My cat sat on my new hip for a week,always that side,he is always on my knee when I sit down,but dosent go to the side anymore.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hmmm. I'm not sure ours know if we are ill. They seem to want to jump on us regardless!

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Whoa, CarbsRok! That's amazing. Sorry he had to be put down. :(

I agree that animals are very intuitive. After a bad accident, my 13-year old dog Mandy never left my side. She was extremely gentle with me the whole year I was recuperating and was very careful.

My current dog, Lola (my avatar) was acting funny around me right before I was diagnosed with skin cancer and she was quite the little nurse after my two surgeries.

Since I was diagnosed with T2, she seems to be keenly aware of when I am particularly stressed and seems as if she would climb mountains to comfort me, even if I am not in the mood to be comforted. ;)
@Fallgal,
There are quite a few reports out there of animals detecting cancer in their owners!
Brings a new twist to a lab test or a cat scan, eh!:cool:

Reactions: 7 people

Giverny

Admin
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Dishonest people, pessimism, spiders, mushrooms.
My cat, who usually hates visitors, was very affectionate with my Nan just before she was diagnosed with bone marrow cancer.

He was also very clingy with me when I came out of hospital and was bed-ridden for a fortnight with a kidney infection & sepsis. He even hissed at my parents when they came near me!

Reactions: 5 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Have to agree with others our dog used to want to help especially if you had a cut he would try to lick it for you but told him thanks but no thanks he liked licking his privates.

Lol ......... o_O

Silvermagic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Eggs!!!!!!!!!
There is no doubt in my mind that animals sense things and try to help.
I have a deaf friend and her Hearing dog died. Straight away, her cats took over the dog's duties.

I was looking for an Anaphylaxis dog for my granddaughter and I came across this site. They mainly train dogs for diabetics,
http://medicaldetectiondogs.org.uk/med_stories.html

BTW, if anyone reading this knows who to apply to for an Anaphylaxis dog, I'd be so grateful if you could advise. Thanks.

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yep there are definitely dogs that have been trained specifically to detect low blood sugar. I remember the first thing my brother asked me when I was diagnosed is am I going to get one lol

Molly56

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Just wondered if anyone had noticed if their pets can sense when they are not well and indicated this by a change in their behaviour....

I have three cats...a mother and two of her eighteen month old kittens...and have noticed some slightly unusual behaviour in the girl kitten over the last couple of days.

Evidently on both mornings when I have been out at work she has spent most of the time with my partner, laying on the bed by his hand and nibbling at his hand....it could of course be that she just wants company whilst I am out...she is very much a mummy's girl and often walks around the house looking for me and calling for me when i am out (or so my partner tells me) and has a number of other favourite sleeping spots around the house so it just struck me as slightly odd that this is what she has done on the last two days..

Am just curious as to why she is perhaps doing this and whether she is picking up on something that is different.......they say that animals have a sixth sense..

..has anyone else noticed unusual / different behaviour in their pets when say their sugar levels are high or they have been coming down with something?:cat:

Just following on from the episode on Tuesday....as I went out Tuesday morning I noticed that she was being very attentive around my partner and noticed that she was being quite vocal....she is ordinarily quite a vocal cat and often 'talks' to me in miaows...being in a hurry I did just glance in but didn't notice anything amiss. I must admit that I was a bit concerned particularly as I drove home as I was thinking about this but when I arrived home all was ok so thought nothing much of it other than posting my comment on this thread.

However I happened to comment about her behaviour this afternoon and he did mention that yesterday he had been feeling a chest pain in the centre of his chest for much of the day....not severe or debilitating pain but a pain nonetheless....

I do worry sometimes as you do hear about people having what is in effect a silent heart attack....and with poor diabetic control and neuropathic pain I expect that my partner may have other forms of neuropathy which could make this a real possibility....anyway all seems ok at the moment so lets just hope that my fears are just that...

Could my cat have been picking up on this and been trying to tell me something....I guess I will never know...

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Just following on from the episode on Tuesday....as I went out Tuesday morning I noticed that she was being very attentive around my partner and noticed that she was being quite vocal....she is ordinarily quite a vocal cat and often 'talks' to me in miaows...being in a hurry I did just glance in but didn't notice anything amiss. I must admit that I was a bit concerned particularly as I drove home as I was thinking about this but when I arrived home all was ok so thought nothing much of it other than posting my comment on this thread.

However I happened to comment about her behaviour this afternoon and he did mention that yesterday he had been feeling a chest pain in the centre of his chest for much of the day....not severe or debilitating pain but a pain nonetheless....

I do worry sometimes as you do hear about people having what is in effect a silent heart attack....and with poor diabetic control and neuropathic pain I expect that my partner may have other forms of neuropathy which could make this a real possibility....anyway all seems ok at the moment so lets just hope that my fears are just that...

Could my cat have been picking up on this and been trying to tell me something....I guess I will never know...

Keep watching the cat and see if it's behaviour happens to correlate what is going on with your partner.