High sugar levels AGAIN feeling upset :(

Kal

It
Ok...

Well you've got the choice what to do.. You can carry on at those levels for rest of week or you can phone them tomorrow... They will not mind as you should not be left at these high levels....

Or you can follow advice from iHs... As a 50+ year person of T1 and having used every insulin iHs does offer **** good advice on going. I know because I have had help from iHs and she saw me through some very tough times....
it doesn't matter how old she is.ive been diabetic for 30 years.

Kal

What was yr bg before eating evening meal and how much carb did you eat? Has it been 3hrs since eating. 20.1mmol is really high and you need to test for keytones. You should really give yourself a correction dose. Look at the 100 rule on the internet. As a very very rough guide....1u bolus should lower bg by 3mmol so if this was me, I would use a correction bolus like 20mmol minus 9mmol (target) equals 11mmol. 11mmol divided by 3mmol equals approx 4u bolus correction. That should start to lower you but of course.....test bg every hour and drink water to flush the sugar build up out in the loo. If you start to feel sick, then phone hospital
As I've said in previous comments they don't want me using correction doses n I've said what I ate

colsan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As you are using more insulin bolus for food than the typical 1 to 10g, your correction bolus will not be the normal either... The typical av diabetic is set up on 1 unit to bring down by 3bg however as you are insulin resistant you need to try adjusting an monitoring to find out your own level..

So, ideally you would try next 1 unit for 2.5bg drop. If that doesn't bring you down to normal target number after 5 hours then next time do a correction on a basis of 1 unit brings you down 2bg.

If you aren't at target level at end of 5 hours then you need to keep changing... However, if your levels are above 12 then your correction doses may not work so well as if your levels are less than 12.....
Hi Donnellysdogs,
Thanks for the advice, I will try that. I did think my correction dose would be higher. I think my husband was served coke instead of diet coke ( no alcohol involved) earlier at the pub as my BG shot up about 10mmol in the space of 20 mins...I did eat too but know what I ate wouldn't cause it to shoot up that fast. Been trying without much luck to get back down to my target.

iHs

@kai........if you feel that bolus basal regime with carb ratios and correction factor is too much to take on board, then go back to twice daily again. Twice daily is easier on the brain doing maths but doesnt allow very well for flexibility.

Do what you feel comfortable at using

Reactions: 4 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Don't over correct though!! The aim should always be to get to target level by 5 hrs after correction.

Pubs are hopeless with coke!! I always end up on slimline tonic water or carbonated water.

I always worry that people will over correct.. So thats my only concern...

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
It

it doesn't matter how old she is.ive been diabetic for 30 years.

Kal
Not meant to be a detrimental remark of how long we've been diabetic...its that iHs has had pretty much experience of every regime and changing over etc....

JiHs has totally given me the best advice and guidance ever 4 years ago.

It was not meant on qty of years, although I admit the way I phrased it sounded as if it did...

Even say the suggestion of a 1/2 unit pen etc is from experience...hospitals don't automatically think of providing them unless its to a child...

Reactions: 2 people

colsan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@colsan.... for correction doses to work well, the calculation needs to be weighed up on the total daily dose of bolus and basal insulin added together and then that gets divided into 100 to give the correction factor. But, the TDD also needs to be giving bg levels that fall within sensible targets. If the TDD is wrong, then the correction factor wont be quite right either but we all have to start somewhere so thats why the rough guide of 1u to 3mmol is used first of all and then if it doesnt seem to work, it can be adjusted up or down. You could have a go at using 1u to lower by 2mmol and calculate yr correction dose on that and use sensible bg targets to calculate to. Ideally, a bg correction should only be done after 4hrs of bolus unless mega high at the 3hr mark. Once you get yr basal dose correct which ideally is done by doing some fasting and adjusting it up or down according to what bg target you use. then all thats needed is to get the insulin to carb ratio correct by eating something like 20g carb and using a ratio. Most start with 1u for 10g but it can be adjusted up or down to suit the bg targets set out by dsn, doctor or looking at NICE.
Hi iHs,

Thanks for the advice. I do think my ratios are pretty much correct and because I've been using the Freestyle Libre I'm pretty much certain that my Bolus is good too. I usually only go very high when I've not cooked and weighed the food myself as I'm really not great at guessing the carb values of what's on my plate, despite using the carbs and cals App. I think I may have had a regular coke in the pub earlier, so have had really high BG all evening, and the correction didn't seem to work. I'll test as per advice next time I'm really high. I would imagine this will be in the morning as don't want to take any more insulin tonight before going to bed, so going to bed fairly high.

colsan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Don't over correct though!! The aim should always be to get to target level by 5 hrs after correction.

Pubs are hopeless with coke!! I always end up on slimline tonic water or carbonated water.

I always worry that people will over correct.. So thats my only concern...

It was about 4 and a half hours ago since my correction. It's now came down a bit but I will leave it a bit high and see what tomorrow brings. I will then experiment a bit with my correction dose as per advice given.
Thanks again.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
As I've said in previous comments they don't want me using correction doses n I've said what I ate
If you go along with them not wanting you to do correction doses, then your only option is to reduce the amount of carbs you eat at meals.

I think the bottom line here is that you have been on twice daily mix for 30 years and you are not being given the support by your doctor to do basal bolus properly. Though having said that you are quite resistant to the advice offered here, maybe you are the same with your doctor?

If twice daily was working for you then maybe you should go back to it, at least until you are ready to make the extra effort that is needed for basal bolus. But I suspect twice daily injections were not working for you, otherwise your doctor would not be getting you to change to basal bolus.

Kal

S
If you go along with them not wanting you to do correction doses, then your only option is to reduce the amount of carbs you eat at meals.

I think the bottom line here is that you have been on twice daily mix for 30 years and you are not being given the support by your doctor to do basal bolus properly. Though having said that you are quite resistant to the advice offered here, maybe you are the same with your doctor?

If twice daily was working for you then maybe you should go back to it, at least until you are ready to make the extra effort that is needed for basal bolus. But I suspect twice daily injections were not working for you, otherwise your doctor would not be getting you to change to basal bolus.[/QUOTE[/QUOTE

Last edited by a moderator:

Kal

@kai........if you feel that bolus basal regime with carb ratios and correction factor is too much to take on board, then go back to twice daily again. Twice daily is easier on the brain doing maths but doesnt allow very well for flexibility.

Do what you feel comfortable at using
You obviously think I'm thick saying twice daily is easier on the brain, actually maths is my job. You may wish to look again I'm not Kai I'm kal. What a know it all

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
@Kal The attitude you are displaying on the forum is probably why you are struggling with the Basal/Bolus regime. If you are not willing to listen to someone trying to help you here, then I have to wonder whether you bother listening to those trying to help you from your medical care team? As someone for whom Maths is their job, getting your head around what you need to do should be fairly simple, as it's really all about that.

If you don't want our assistance, we can stop trying to help, but as you asked for it, forum members are doing the best they can in the face of significant hostility from you. If you really aren't interested in what the forum has to say, can I suggest that you get in touch with your Diabetes team as soon as you can, as hopefully they will provide you with advice and help that you do want to hear.

Reactions: 8 people

Kal

@Kal The attitude you are displaying on the forum is probably why you are struggling with the Basal/Bolus regime. If you are not willing to listen to someone trying to help you here, then I have to wonder whether you bother listening to those trying to help you from your medical care team? As someone for whom Maths is their job, getting your head around what you need to do should be fairly simple, as it's really all about that.

If you don't want our assistance, we can stop trying to help, but as you asked for it, forum members are doing the best they can in the face of significant hostility from you. If you really aren't interested in what the forum has to say, can I suggest that you get in touch with your Diabetes team as soon as you can, as hopefully they will provide you with advice and help that you do want to hear.
For your information I'm doing exactly what my diabetic team suggested. I have tried to get in touch with them again today and nobody is available. Mind your own business. Worst site ever never coming back full of pple wanting help like me n know t all like you, can't you just help without being an ar......

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
For your information I'm doing exactly what my diabetic team suggested. I have tried to get in touch with them again today and nobody is available. Mind your own business. Worst site ever never coming back full of pple wanting help like me n know t all like you, can't you just help without being an ar......

No need for that, just terrible.:(

Anyhow, good luck somewhere else, with your diabetes and the answers you want.

RRB

Beckie2014

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree with RRB it is terrible, people are just trying to help! I have had some fantastic support from the forum and appreciate the help so much xx

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes

Agree with RRB.

It's a shame as your diabetes team weren't there for you today, so you have another day of feeling like pants. We've all been here for you.

Many years ago now, I helped a gent go straight on to a pump from being on a premixed twice a day injection. His DSN wouldn't even consider him for a pump because (using the words he told me) you would be too dangerous. His consultant gave him a pump. The back up from his hospital wasn't available 24/7 and I even helped him at 3am one morning on a desperation phone call from him. He met through this website and he and his wife visited our home just to help him get used to the pump and changing things etc.

I had very similar experience from a fellow person here helping me when I started on my pump...

We reach out to people to try and help even if it is not meeting up, telephone calls etc. We have all tried to offer you help and to have it thrown back in our faces is appalling. I wish you luck with your diabetes team.

lcarter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
My pancreas
Sorry to jump in but an update that im proud of. 7.7 pre meal this evening! Woooooohooooooooo. :)

Reactions: 8 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
What a great result after the recent time you had!!! Terrific to read..