1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

High sugar levels AGAIN feeling upset :(

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by lcarter, Dec 26, 2014.

1. Kal

Kal · Member

It
    it doesn't matter how old she is.ive been diabetic for 30 years.

2. Kal

Kal · Member

As I've said in previous comments they don't want me using correction doses n I've said what I ate

3. colsan

colsan Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi Donnellysdogs,
    Thanks for the advice, I will try that. I did think my correction dose would be higher. I think my husband was served coke instead of diet coke ( no alcohol involved) earlier at the pub as my BG shot up about 10mmol in the space of 20 mins...I did eat too but know what I ate wouldn't cause it to shoot up that fast. Been trying without much luck to get back down to my target.

4. iHs

iHs · Well-Known Member

@kai........if you feel that bolus basal regime with carb ratios and correction factor is too much to take on board, then go back to twice daily again. Twice daily is easier on the brain doing maths but doesnt allow very well for flexibility.

Do what you feel comfortable at using

• Like Like x 4
  5. donnellysdogs

donnellysdogs Type 1 · Master

Don't over correct though!! The aim should always be to get to target level by 5 hrs after correction.

Pubs are hopeless with coke!! I always end up on slimline tonic water or carbonated water.

I always worry that people will over correct.. So thats my only concern...

• Like Like x 4
  6. donnellysdogs

Kal
    Not meant to be a detrimental remark of how long we've been diabetic...its that iHs has had pretty much experience of every regime and changing over etc....

JiHs has totally given me the best advice and guidance ever 4 years ago.

It was not meant on qty of years, although I admit the way I phrased it sounded as if it did...

Even say the suggestion of a 1/2 unit pen etc is from experience...hospitals don't automatically think of providing them unless its to a child...

• Like Like x 2
  7. colsan

Hi iHs,

Thanks for the advice. I do think my ratios are pretty much correct and because I've been using the Freestyle Libre I'm pretty much certain that my Bolus is good too. I usually only go very high when I've not cooked and weighed the food myself as I'm really not great at guessing the carb values of what's on my plate, despite using the carbs and cals App. I think I may have had a regular coke in the pub earlier, so have had really high BG all evening, and the correction didn't seem to work. I'll test as per advice next time I'm really high. I would imagine this will be in the morning as don't want to take any more insulin tonight before going to bed, so going to bed fairly high.

8. colsan

It was about 4 and a half hours ago since my correction. It's now came down a bit but I will leave it a bit high and see what tomorrow brings. I will then experiment a bit with my correction dose as per advice given.
    Thanks again.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Spiker

Spiker Type 1 · Well-Known Member

If you go along with them not wanting you to do correction doses, then your only option is to reduce the amount of carbs you eat at meals.

I think the bottom line here is that you have been on twice daily mix for 30 years and you are not being given the support by your doctor to do basal bolus properly. Though having said that you are quite resistant to the advice offered here, maybe you are the same with your doctor?

If twice daily was working for you then maybe you should go back to it, at least until you are ready to make the extra effort that is needed for basal bolus. But I suspect twice daily injections were not working for you, otherwise your doctor would not be getting you to change to basal bolus.

10. Kal

Kal · Member

S

#350 Kal, Jan 2, 2015 at 12:51 PM
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2015
  11. Kal

Kal · Member

You obviously think I'm thick saying twice daily is easier on the brain, actually maths is my job. You may wish to look again I'm not Kai I'm kal. What a know it all

12. tim2000s

tim2000s Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

@Kal The attitude you are displaying on the forum is probably why you are struggling with the Basal/Bolus regime. If you are not willing to listen to someone trying to help you here, then I have to wonder whether you bother listening to those trying to help you from your medical care team? As someone for whom Maths is their job, getting your head around what you need to do should be fairly simple, as it's really all about that.

If you don't want our assistance, we can stop trying to help, but as you asked for it, forum members are doing the best they can in the face of significant hostility from you. If you really aren't interested in what the forum has to say, can I suggest that you get in touch with your Diabetes team as soon as you can, as hopefully they will provide you with advice and help that you do want to hear.

• Like Like x 8
  13. Kal

Kal · Member

For your information I'm doing exactly what my diabetic team suggested. I have tried to get in touch with them again today and nobody is available. Mind your own business. Worst site ever never coming back full of pple wanting help like me n know t all like you, can't you just help without being an ar......

14. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

No need for that, just terrible.:(

Anyhow, good luck somewhere else, with your diabetes and the answers you want.

RRB

• Like Like x 2
  15. Beckie2014

Beckie2014 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I agree with RRB it is terrible, people are just trying to help! I have had some fantastic support from the forum and appreciate the help so much xx

• Like Like x 4
  16. donnellysdogs

Agree with RRB.

It's a shame as your diabetes team weren't there for you today, so you have another day of feeling like pants. We've all been here for you.

Many years ago now, I helped a gent go straight on to a pump from being on a premixed twice a day injection. His DSN wouldn't even consider him for a pump because (using the words he told me) you would be too dangerous. His consultant gave him a pump. The back up from his hospital wasn't available 24/7 and I even helped him at 3am one morning on a desperation phone call from him. He met through this website and he and his wife visited our home just to help him get used to the pump and changing things etc.

I had very similar experience from a fellow person here helping me when I started on my pump...

We reach out to people to try and help even if it is not meeting up, telephone calls etc. We have all tried to offer you help and to have it thrown back in our faces is appalling. I wish you luck with your diabetes team.

• Like Like x 4
  17. lcarter

lcarter Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Sorry to jump in but an update that im proud of. 7.7 pre meal this evening! Woooooohooooooooo. :)

• Like Like x 8
  18. colsan

Well done:)

• Like Like x 2
  19. donnellysdogs

What a great result after the recent time you had!!! Terrific to read..

• Like Like x 4
  20. Beckie2014

Beckie2014 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Well done lcarter so pleased for you :)

• Like Like x 3
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook