High sugar levels AGAIN feeling upset :(

Kal

Im having the same problem as you having just changed to novorapid and levemir. Blood sugars are constantly high and it's making me depressed. Does anyone have any ideas on things to eat between meals without injecting.also why does my glucose go up about 3 hrs after my meal.

iHs

Im having the same problem as you having just changed to novorapid and levemir. Blood sugars are constantly high and it's making me depressed. Does anyone have any ideas on things to eat between meals without injecting.also why does my glucose go up about 3 hrs after my meal.

When I changed from once daily Lantus to twice daily Levemir, the dsn advised increasing the dose up by about 2u each dose as it wasnt as strong as Lantus and to also alter my bolus carb ratio upwards a touch to get bg levels to balance out but I didnt do any basal testing, I just used trial and error to work out the ideal doses.

Kal

When I changed from once daily Lantus to twice daily Levemir, the dsn advised increasing the dose up by about 2u each dose as it wasnt as strong as Lantus and to also alter my bolus carb ratio upwards a touch to get bg levels to balance out but I didnt do any basal testing, I just used trial and error to work out the ideal doses.
I was previously on novo mix 2 inj a day not a basal bolus regime

iHs

@kai What guidance has the dsn given you regarding the doses of Levemir and Novorapid? What bg levels are you getting and how often are you bg testing? Do you know anything about calculating yr bolus dose using whats called an insulin to carb ratio or have you just been told to take specific amounts of bolus 3 times per day?

Last edited by a moderator:

lcarter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
My pancreas
What guidance has the dsn given you regarding the doses of Levemir and Novorapid? What bg levels are you getting and how often are you bg testing? Do you know anything about calculating yr bolus dose using whats called an insulin to carb ratio or have you just been told to take specific amounts of bolus 3 times per day?
Levels are back to 7/8mml now so im very happy with my regime :)

I have done a dafne course & an edward course years ago so im pretty ok with insulin to carbs ratios.

Reactions: 7 people

lcarter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
My pancreas
Ps levemier doing really well at keeping me stable :)

Reactions: 8 people

Kal

What guidance has the dsn given you regarding the doses of Levemir and Novorapid? What bg levels are you getting and how often are you bg testing? Do you know anything about calculating yr bolus dose using whats called an insulin to carb ratio or have you just been told to take specific amounts of bolus 3 times per day?
I have done all of the above and am beginning to wonder if I'm resistant to insulin. I currently have a constant blood glucose sensor attached as dr are out of ideas

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I have done all of the above and am beginning to wonder if I'm resistant to insulin. I currently have a constant blood glucose sensor attached as dr are out of ideas

Is it the background only that seems to cause bad levels? Or does novorapid act as it should?

The teason I ask is that a pump only delivers fast acting insulin such as novorapid so I was wondering whether its all insulin that acts as if you are resistant or whether when you take bolus and corrections that the QA will bring levels down?

lcarter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
My pancreas
I split levemier 12 in the eve and 14 in the am :)

iHs

@kai ......... if you are going very high on the present doses, then carefully reduce the amount of carb that you eat as that should help to lower bg and keep bg testing and write down the levels you get. Once you get better bg levels, you can use the bolus amount to work out a ratio by dividing the carb eaten by the bolus and that will be your ratio.

Register with BDEC website as that explains bolus basal and how to use it

Reactions: 4 people

Kal

I am d
@kai ......... if you are going very high on the present doses, then carefully reduce the amount of carb that you eat as that should help to lower bg and keep bg testing and write down the levels you get. Once you get better bg levels, you can use the bolus amount to work out a ratio by dividing the carb eaten by the bolus and that will be your ratio.

Register with BDEC website as that explains bolus basal and how to use it
I am doing that and constantly hungry. I feel like I shouldn't eat bread pasta or potatoes when I don't I have a hypo

iHs

@kai if you are only taking Levemir at night, then its action might not be strong enough to keep bg ok along with the bolus so thats why yr bg levels are going very high.

As you are new to basal bolus.....phone up yr GP or dsn and ask them what to do about Levemir. Until you get an appt, use bolus to cover the lack of basal and use yr bg levels to be your guide....... You need to use some targets so that you can adjust ok...........6mmol before eating food, then allow for the bolus to give a bg of about 9mmol mid morning and mid afternoon

Reactions: 2 people

Kal

@kai if you are only taking Levemir at night, then its action might not be strong enough to keep bg ok along with the bolus so thats why yr bg levels are going very high.

As you are new to basal bolus.....phone up yr GP or dsn and ask them what to do about Levemir. Until you get an appt, use bolus to cover the lack of basal and use yr bg levels to be your guide....... You need to use some targets so that you can adjust ok...........6mmol before eating food, then allow for the bolus to give a bg of about 9mmol mid morning and mid afternoon
Sorry but been to gp hospital and diabetic nurse every week for a month. I have bsic target amounts to take 5-5-7.This is what they recommend.ive had salmon Tom courgette spring onion small boiled potatoe and a Philadelphia sauce for tea level was 17 before I ate so took 8 to hopefully count as a correction too

iHs

Sorry but been to gp hospital and diabetic nurse every week for a month. I have bsic target amounts to take 5-5-7.This is what they recommend.ive had salmon Tom courgette spring onion small boiled potatoe and a Philadelphia sauce for tea level was 17 before I ate so took 8 to hopefully count as a correction too

If you are taking 5u for breakfast, 5u for lunch and 7u for evening meal and you eat about 40g carb for each meal and yr bg levels are going high, then you need to either increase the bolus or reduce the carb so that bg levels get to sensible target levels.
Ideally, you should probably take Levemir twice per day and not just once but best to see doctor or dsn first if you dont feel comfortable in adjusting Levemir yourself. If you took Levemir in the morning as well as evening, then you would have more background and might be able to carry on using the present bolus dose which works out at 1u for 8g carb.

Reactions: 2 people