Tablets (oral)
Can somebody please what cheese is best for me, I have type 2 diabetes
thanks

kimbo1962

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Are you doing lchf gazza? I have all kinds of cheese, full fat of course- low fat products using skimmed milk will have carbs! Fridge at the moment has cheddar, Cheshire, Stilton, Danish blue - and full fat philly! !

Reactions: 2 people

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
White or yellow, strong or mild ?. Whatever, just google your big supermarkets sites and choose something with a low carb content.

gazza1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Kimbo, Yes and my reading have been between 4-7 for the last month since finding out I have diabetes. I have been told soft cheeses are better thank hard .

kimbo1962

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hard full fat has virtually no carbs though, it's a staple of my regime, often with ham, salad or homemade soup for a lunch

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
Yep like Kimbo, i have loads if cheese in my fridge at the mo. Brie, cheddar, shropshire blue, wensleydale, smoked baverian, stilton, port infused, manchego and cheese strings! All full fat versions.

Reactions: 6 people
A

Avocado Sevenfold

I love cheese. Watch out for pre-grated as they sometimes add starch to stop it clumping. Nothing with added fruit too obviously.

Reactions: 2 people

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
Galloway Cheddar..mmmmm yummy so yummy. Reaches parts that other cheeses just can't.

Reactions: 4 people

Pollylocks

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not many.
Most cheeses are okay as far as I know Gazza1, the stronger the better for me and the more mature the lower the carb content. If I was told cheese was a no no when I was diagnosed I've have had to commit hari kari !!

This is nice..cheesecake made with equal amounts of mascarpone and Philadelphia, a tiny bit of sweetener mixed in, don't need much, some vanilla essence or lemon or lime, almond flour mixed with melted butter as the base and I do mix in a couple of digestives to give it a bit of crunch but its not many carbs as its spread over the whole base, one cube of dark chocolate grated over the top. Very calorific but its very rich so you only need a small slice. Lovely !! :p

Reactions: 6 people

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
With all food cheese included eat to your meter. Some folks can do soft others can not. Oh and also eat to your pocket l limit my cheese..or l would go bust buying cheese. Boursin or Cheddar or Wensleydale with cranberry's or Philadelphia melting over a plate of hot food.. if none in the grate some cheddar over it. had grated cheddar on my stew last night.

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I eat all the cheeses a except for the one with the fruit like the Wensleydale & Cranberry's, I think I had one with apricots also had to have very small amounts, but the standards and strong cheeses including the full fat Philadelphia are all ok for me.

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Me too loves cheese. Is anyone keeping an eye on the salt content? Seems a bit high sometimes, eg feta and even cheddar. Should we be careful?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's all good.

Well, except for those weird reduced fat monstrosities that lack flavour, integrity and soul.

Pollylocks

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not many.
I don't count salt (rightly or wrongly)

I used to and I still don't over do it.... but what we're meant to eat/not eat/is good for us [everyone not just diabetics] changes from month to month and if we took notice of everything the so called experts told us, none of us would be eating at all. :rolleyes:

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I love cheese, but Stilton is not one of my favourites. I said I would cut down, but................ had cheese with lunch.:oops: Cheese, for me, is just too yummy,:hungry::happy:

RRb :)

Sancho panza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh currently residing in my fridge are

Isle of Man vintage cheddar
Red Leicester
Tesco cheddar with chilli and lime
Tesco cheddar with jalapeños