1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

best type of cheese

Discussion in 'Newly Diagnosed' started by gazza1, Jan 3, 2015.

1. Mud Island Dweller

Mud Island Dweller Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Beardie you lot need quit fooling yourselves it is because they are ****. That word starts with s and ends with t. .........EISH!!

2. phoenix

phoenix Type 1 · Expert

My favourite cheese at the moment is laguiole. It was popular with my 4year old grandson when they came to visit in the summer ( he turned down the cheaper offferings!) so I had to bring some for him to eat over Christmas.
    I also brought raclette for a raclette supper, some reblochon for making tartiflette for another supper; (not a low carb recipe!) and some Roquefort for those that like it (I don't)
    Here's my local cheesemonger http://www.ladepeche.fr/article/2012/06/17/1379949-jeanot-le-fromager-qui-file.html He is a man who clearly enjoys his work (but I have to say his size reminds me not to eat too much)

• Like Like x 6
  3. douglas99

douglas99 I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hmm,
    yes, that's the effect I see with too much cheese!

• Like Like x 4
  4. Sid Bonkers

Sid Bonkers Type 2 · Well-Known Member

My favorite cheeses are Brie or any type of Blue cheese but I have to eat them sparingly as cheese is very high in calories and if I eat it every night after diner I will invariably but on weight so I just eat it occasionally.

Cheese generally wont harm your bg levels but can definitely harm your waistline.

5. Kat100

Kat100 · Guest

You missed a bargin ...I do that then wish I had bought when seen ....:arghh:

• Like Like x 2
  6. Kat100

Kat100 · Guest

I adore cheese ...I have got used to a nice Chedder 30% less fat ....I like it ...
    I can be a cheese adict any day .....but have reduced the amount I eat ....
    I have a Camembert to melt in the oven will try it and chop up some veggies to dip in.....yum

• Like Like x 2
  7. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

I have tried these, tbh I don't like fruit in cheese's. I am going to have some ( a little bit ;) ) of Edam with my lunch :happy::hungry:

• Like Like x 4
  8. Robinredbreast

I was trying to be good Kat, I do eat far too much cheese, but love it so :hungry: :joyful:

• Like Like x 3
  9. Kat100

Kat100 · Guest

It is grated for you @Robinredbreast

Seriously I love cheese ....sometimes with a picked onion ...yum x

So do all the garden birds ....we are keeping lots of grated in a box in the fridge ...they are addicts as well :D

• Like Like x 4
  10. Robinredbreast

:happy: :D x

• Like Like x 2
  11. Tweetypie

Tweetypie Other · Well-Known Member

i like double gloucester,sometimes with a gherkin

• Like Like x 3
  12. douglas99

douglas99 I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I normally go for the low fat cheddar as well.

• Like Like x 2
  13. carty

carty Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Nipped in Asda for a bottle of wine and a loaf for Husband came out with nearly £40 worth of stuff 3house brick sized blocks of strong cheddar a couple of packs of assorted cheeses obviously left over from Christmas ,they were all greatly reduced :) Then we went to the wine department the bargains were amazing!!
    CAROL

• Like Like x 6
  14. Pasha

Pasha Prediabetes · Expert

Sounds like you cant wait to get home and sample the goods, I am full of unashamed envy.

• Like Like x 3
  15. eddie1968

eddie1968 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Cheese ? Can't get it out of my thoughts mmm and pickles and some ham on a cocktail stick sooo yummy. Can't read this thread no more, making me hungry lol.

• Like Like x 3
  16. Kat100

Kat100 · Guest

Enjoy x

17. beardie

beardie Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I never knew laguiole was a cheese. I have some overpriced cheese knives by that name so that must be why they are called that. tartiflette was one of my favourite foods, we had it about once a month. Never again though unfortunately.

18. phoenix

phoenix Type 1 · Expert

Laguiole knives are made in the same area (Aubrac) or at least they should be .There are many made in China look alikes.
    http://www.laguiole-en-aubrac.com/anglais/histoire_laguiole.html

• Like Like x 2
  19. beardie

beardie Type 2 · Well-Known Member

We bought them in Nontron from a shop the seemed sell little else as I remember. And now that I have thought about We bought one of there corkscrews in Paris for even sillier money.

20. Yorksman

Yorksman Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I find that the Fromage des Vosges from Lidl is a nice cheese if you are prepared to let it mature to past the eat by date. It's OK before that but it really develops.

It's a camenbert style cheese and the older and crustier and runnier in the middle, the better in my opinion. The nutitional info is given here: http://www.fatsecret.com/Diary.aspx?pa=fjrd&rid=2063625

• Like Like x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook