Slimming World

Pepsi Max

I'm in it 11 weeks now & nothing to date! I've gone down 2 lb but then up. I'm the same weight now that I was when I joined, I started on the extra easy plan & about 6 weeks in I started on the original & am on this still

xendistar

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
I used to do Slimming World for several years then stopped about 3 years ago, lost just under 4st (put most of it back on again but that my fault). But this was pre diabetes, wife still does slimming world and keeps asking me to go back to it (I need to loose at least 8st). Apparently Slimming World is due to get some new books after xmas so I might check out the wife's book see what it say and consider what I am doing from there.

lcarter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
My pancreas
I did slimming world and lost a stone..then I out it back on so rejoined...my problem is they say you can eat as much as you want so I literally do. Everything is low fat. Most Muller lite yoghurts are free on their plan but do have sugar. They like you to eat free foods such as beans, meat, veg and rice/pasta/potatoes etc UNLIMITED. (I would always ask them if I coild have two jacket spuds for example- they say eat until you are full- I have a huge appetite) they like you to snack on superfree food (mainly fruit and pickles, some veg) and fill a third of your plate with it. Unlimited sugar free soft drinks, things like wine and chocolate are allowed by using you daily syn allowance. You get healthy extras of milk and either cereal or bread or soup which is measured. I got the diabetic booklet- I didnt feel it told me anything. My leaders (ive had a fair few as been trying this for years!!) Didnt know a thing about diabetes (just said it is fine to follow the plan) and that diabetes uk supported their plan.

I like slimming world, its a very healthy plan to follow in moderation. If you can control your portions. They tell you portion size doesnt matter yet when I stopped losing weight thats what they told me to look at. I must stress my sugar levels were good on this plan..around 5-7mml usually if my ratios were right. You are never hungry either.

I am a fan of low carbs though, makes alot of sense but its whether you want carbs or not. I know slimming world do a red day and I am currently reading all my books on this as my levels are ridiculous at present!

Hope that helps x

H

Hooked

Anyone on here seen their new books/plans for this year yet?
I'm going to re-join and wondering if they have a plan that is suited to keeping a reduced carb diet.

xendistar

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
I have not but the wife has, there is no longer red and green (red and Green is only available now to current members and in are now basically replaced with Extra Easy and Extra Easy SP (speed food and protein) which you should only do for a couple of weeks at a time and is not recommended for Diabetics.

You may be better contacting your local consultant for a more accurate definition of the new plans

Reactions: 2 people

lcarter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
My pancreas
Oh no! Really? I was going to go and join on Friday to do the original plan. (Red) but if thats gone it means low fat high carb again with extra easy. Unless I do it and just measure carbs carefully low carbing myself if that makes sense. Hmm.

xendistar

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
Like I said it is still worth going a long and talking to the consultant their and get the full details. What I wrote above is what my wife told me from her understanding of the new system. At the end of the day if you know red and green there no reason you cant still follow it

lcarter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
My pancreas
Like I said it is still worth going a long and talking to the consultant their and get the full details. What I wrote above is what my wife told me from her understanding of the new system. At the end of the day if you know red and green there no reason you cant still follow it
I do know it but sadly I like the meetings and being weighed there etc. Thanks anyway!

Pepsi Max

I'm still in slimming world & I'm still having the same problem... I'm not losing weight I'm just staying the same!! I'll be trying this new plan too

lexsnan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I am type 2 and have lost 6st 4lb with SW over the last 2 years . They have not changed the Extra Easy Plan but have introduced Extra Easy SP which restricts carbohydrate foods . The Original , Green and Success Express plans have now gone . SW have listened to members and both plans are I find are particularly suitable for people with diabetes .

Reactions: 6 people
H

Hooked

Thanks all for the replies! :)

I am type 2 and have lost 6st 4lb with SW over the last 2 years . They have not changed the Extra Easy Plan but have introduced Extra Easy SP which restricts carbohydrate foods . The Original , Green and Success Express plans have now gone . SW have listened to members and both plans are I find are particularly suitable for people with diabetes .

Lexsnan, the Extra Easy SP sounds like it might be what I'm after. Can it be done long term, or only for a few weeks at a time like Xendistar mentioned? I'm going tomorrow night to a local group to find out more, but would love to know the general jist of it before I head there.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

Wow, that's a great reduction in weight :)

lucy jordan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
[QUOTEused SW and lost 2 stone. I did think it was very carb orientated. at the time , and wondered if the foods i ate then to helo me loose weight woukd now be detrimental to my diabetes. Some very, interesting as points raised her
I did slimming world years ago before diagnosed. I couldn't handle the green days and didn't know why but it all makes sense now. I lost a lot just doing red days but when I was diagnosed they went mad saying it was as bad as the Atkins diet they took me off it. I have never had much success losing weight since and reading everything on here I am now considering going low carb again

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App
I too ysed
t: 445757, member: 46002"]Let us know how it goes! This thread could be helpful for people in future who have the same question :thumbup:[/QUOTE]
These comments are I

Jules29

Oh no! Really? I was going to go and join on Friday to do the original plan. (Red) but if thats gone it means low fat high carb again with extra easy. Unless I do it and just measure carbs carefully low carbing myself if that makes sense. Hmm.
Hello. This is my 2nd week of SW. In my first week I lost 3 1/2lb. Next Weigh in is on Thursday. I'm T1. It's a really easy plan to follow. Even if you eat low carb. I carb count so can adjust my insulin to suit. Have to say my consultant seems a little uneducated when it comes to T1s and the diabetes booklet they give you is more geared to T2.

goldcraig

Before I was diagnosed as t2 I went to slimming world....now when you tell me I can have as much of some foodstuffs as I want you should know I am the original bottomless pit...Free rice free pasta free loads of other stuff looking back did me no good at all and deffo did not do me any favours. I swapped white carbs for brown and found that helped a great deal. I have lost more weight since being diagnosed....good luck

Bewildered

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm currently doing slimming world and have lost 16.5 Lbs in 5 weeks, I've never felt better however, my practice nurse has just started me on metformin due to my last blood test being high I wanted to give it another 3 months to continue living weight at SW before I start treatment but I was told I should commence the tablets. The other day whilst at my SW group I became unwell, sweating profusely, dizzy, losing balance and unable to focus. When I reached home I was violently sick and had diarrhoea, I had started on 500 mg of metformin and was told to increase it to a 1000mg after a week then 1500mg on my third week. When I rang the practice nurse she told me to stop taking the medication until I felt better then reintroduce the medication, I'm very reluctant
You could ask for the slow release if you can't tolerate the side effects. You take once a day and side effects are less, but it's more expensive so not offered first. I've had the odd dodgy stomach day but manageable.

Bewildered

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was thinking about the red plan but if it's gone and there is a low carb plan, I think there is also a low carb plan on weight watchers, has anyone any info on that one? I wonder how they compare? Not sue I can count carbs and points at the same time! I was diagnosed in December, couldn't get my readings below 10 despite only eating protein, dairy and veg/salad. Starved for a month then hit denial. Had bloods taken today.. Denial best go do one! (Not looking forward to seeing the nurse)

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hypos
I'm doing slimming world and I've lost 1st 3.5lb since 29/9 and still going :) current weight is 18st 11.5lb Final Target is 10stone

(Type 2 on Slow Release Metformin)

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My daughter...not diabetic... started Slimming World about a month ago she only needed to loose about 10/12lb that she gained when on holiday for 3 weeks in the USA in September . She says the food plan is really good she is doing low fat and has lost about 5lb so far She has a really good variety of foods eating a lot of vegetables, fruit, meat and fish and said it is not like a diet and she is enjoying it she said it could easily be adapted to how a diabetic wants to eat