Forum posts on facebook

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Having now had the time to check out what actually is visible on Facebook, it links to threads rather than a thread posted in its entirety. The link takes you to the thread on the forum. Personally, I do not like and do not trust Facebook with its ever changing privacy functions so choose not to use it because I do not trust the so called safeguards .

Only this week I received a notification email from Facebook that informed me that I had " liked" a post that a friend had posted on there. Now unless my cats and collies have a secret life that involves my iPad when I am not around them, there is no way that that " like" originated from this house, as I haven't even been on Facebook for about nine months o_O. So I fully understand people's distrust and dislike of being linked with it in any way, and it does seem rather unfair that someone could post or reply to a thread on here, not be a member of Facebook, and be completely unaware of comments made on Facebook by people who are not a member on here, but only a member of the Facebook group. That comment may be pertinent and instructive, but the OP would never get to read it.

I take on board the comments on this thread as to how the Facebook group provides a function, but surely it could contain original threads and posts on there without having to link to on here? A quick read through the comments on the Facebook group shows me that some are prolific on there ;)

Signy

( edited YET again for IPad autocorrect mistakes !)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 8 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Well I don't recall that .....

I don't think many did kat. After all ,we came looking for a support forum for diabetes, looking for help and support from like minded diabetics and so many newbies are in a bit of a state when newly diagnosed or can't accept having diabetes.

I don't think many would be thinking, 'oh, I better read the disclaimer ( hmmm,whatever that is) before I ask for help, support or near to having a breakdown. Now where was I' ?..............:(

Reactions: 8 people
K

Kat100

I don't think many did kat. After all ,we came looking for a support forum for diabetes, looking for help and support from like minded diabetics and so many newbies are in a bit of a state when newly diagnosed or can't accept having diabetes.

I don't think many would be thinking, 'oh, I better read the disclaimer ( hmmm,whatever that is) before I ask for help, support or near to having a breakdown. Now where was I' ?..............:(
That is a very good summary of it ......I know I just needed support when I joined here , like so many others .....

Reactions: 5 people

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
<snip>

You say "I suspect that is mainly an emotional reaction following the realisation that your information posted on a public web site is just as public as the forum heading "the global diabetes forum" suggests." Of course I knew it was public. Do you really think I thought this was just between me and 115,000 others? Wow that's some insult!

I'm still struggling to understand.
If it is public it is visible everywhere (by definition).
It is also available for anyone to link to on Facebook.
If you know it is public and you understand the web and Facebook then you obviously know that anyone can link to your content on a Facebook page and there is nothing that you can do to stop it.
So posting information on a public forum directly enables the linking to that information on Facebook.
Facebook posters link to web sites all the time.
It is all part of the territory

I am seeing that you had a bad experience on Facebook, which is a shame.
However this is not the fault of this site, nor its owners.
Neither, as far as I can see, does your personal bad experience mean that content from this forum should not be linked to on Facebook.

I am trusting that your ID on this forum does not directly link to your real identity.
In which case again I fail to see the problem.
When you post to a public forum you relinquish all control over the content you post.

I am not trying to insult you.

I am merely trying to point out that if you understand how the Internet works then discovering that posts have been linked to within Facebook should not come as any surprise, nor should this be any big issue.

If you don't understand how the Internet works then it can be an emotional shock when you first realise just how public your discussions are.
However as you do understand, it is just a reminder to be discreet with personal details.

I say again that none of this is a personal attack.

Regards

LGC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I'm still struggling to understand.
If it is public it is visible everywhere (by definition).
It is also available for anyone to link to on Facebook.
If you know it is public and you understand the web and Facebook then you obviously know that anyone can link to your content on a Facebook page and there is nothing that you can do to stop it.
So posting information on a public forum directly enables the linking to that information on Facebook.
Facebook posters link to web sites all the time.
It is all part of the territory

I am seeing that you had a bad experience on Facebook, which is a shame.
However this is not the fault of this site, nor its owners.
Neither, as far as I can see, does your personal bad experience mean that content from this forum should not be linked to on Facebook.

I am trusting that your ID on this forum does not directly link to your real identity.
In which case again I fail to see the problem.
When you post to a public forum you relinquish all control over the content you post.

I am not trying to insult you.

I am merely trying to point out that if you understand how the Internet works then discovering that posts have been linked to within Facebook should not come as any surprise, nor should this be any big issue.

If you don't understand how the Internet works then it can be an emotional shock when you first realise just how public your discussions are.
However as you do understand, it is just a reminder to be discreet with personal details.

I say again that none of this is a personal attack.

Regards

LGC

Yes, but it doesn't stop us from not liking it. I mean how many people put up with their boring job, or boss, or spouse, or annoying irritating family member, Most do it, but don't necessarily like it, A bit like being between a rock and a hard place, a no win situation, no to facebook, no forum,:wideyed: :( ?

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
@Robinredbreast we are really in a Catch22 situation.

If the forum is not visible, then how can we provide support?
Non-members have to be able to find the forum, read the threads, and feel supported.
If they feel that they need to ask questions, or feel that they can help others, then they sign up and post.
My view has always been that anything I post here is aimed to help and inform others and the more exposure the information from this forum gets the better.

If that is the case, then how can we prevent people who read threads from linking to the threads on other sites?
A link saying "If you want to really understand Low Carb High Fat then read {link}." or "If you need caring support from an active community go to {link}" must surely be a good thing.

If we accept this we have to also accept that some of the posts may be on Facebook.
There are quite a number of Facebook Groups for diabetics apart from the diabetes.co.uk one.

So if we are to provide support we must be public and we must allow others to post links to this forum.
So we cannot block linking to/from Facebook.
Catch22.

For those who say that they don't trust Facebook.
I don't trust Facebook either.
I don't trust Google.
I don't trust any advertiser.
However all this content is public, and Facebook and Google and the many other mega-corporations who make their money out of selling personal information do not require that you post on their site.
They crawl the whole web.
So they already knew about these posts before anything was linked to from Facebook.

The Internet is a really, really tacky place and it is very difficult to interact with others (especially anonymous others who use an alias) and keep everything strictly secret and invisible.
That is why you never post personal information unless you are happy to be identified or confident that it can't be linked to you.

So I think we have to accept that there is no malicious intent from the site, that all this is the price that we pay for all the infrastructure of the Internet, and remember that there are no secrets on the Internet.

It may not be particularly nice, but that is the way the Internet is.

Regards

LGC

Reactions: 2 people

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Well I don't recall that .....
You don't recall it because you didn't read the Ts + Cs. To be honest, neither did I at the time but I also accept that I am not in a position to complain now. As they say in law, ignorance is not an excuse and neither is our illness.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
@Robinredbreast we are really in a Catch22 situation.

If the forum is not visible, then how can we provide support?
Non-members have to be able to find the forum, read the threads, and feel supported.
If they feel that they need to ask questions, or feel that they can help others, then they sign up and post.
My view has always been that anything I post here is aimed to help and inform others and the more exposure the information from this forum gets the better.

If that is the case, then how can we prevent people who read threads from linking to the threads on other sites?
A link saying "If you want to really understand Low Carb High Fat then read {link}." or "If you need caring support from an active community go to {link}" must surely be a good thing.

If we accept this we have to also accept that some of the posts may be on Facebook.
There are quite a number of Facebook Groups for diabetics apart from the diabetes.co.uk one.

So if we are to provide support we must be public and we must allow others to post links to this forum.
So we cannot block linking to/from Facebook.
Catch22.

For those who say that they don't trust Facebook.
I don't trust Facebook either.
I don't trust Google.
I don't trust any advertiser.
However all this content is public, and Facebook and Google and the many other mega-corporations who make their money out of selling personal information do not require that you post on their site.
They crawl the whole web.
So they already knew about these posts before anything was linked to from Facebook.

The Internet is a really, really tacky place and it is very difficult to interact with others (especially anonymous others who use an alias) and keep everything strictly secret and invisible.
That is why you never post personal information unless you are happy to be identified or confident that it can't be linked to you.

So I think we have to accept that there is no malicious intent from the site, that all this is the price that we pay for all the infrastructure of the Internet, and remember that there are no secrets on the Internet.

It may not be particularly nice, but that is the way the Internet is.

Regards

LGC

Yes I know LGC, but it doesn't mean I or others have to like it, just expressing my view on how I feel and as I said before, I await a response from admin.:) anyhow back to the wonderful music threads :singing: :D

Reactions: 4 people
D

Deleted member 83869

So my opinion is going to be totally different...and I dont mean for it to offend anyone in anyway as it is my opinion....anyway I am younger than most of you on this thread and after being on Facebook for nearly 7 years...I have had no problems with privacy or trust on Facebook....unless something has happened to you personally then Facebook's privacy stuff is quite high! Hardly anyone reads T&C but this forum isn't stated as being private....and on the bottom of the page it shows all the social media's that it is linked with....hence "the global diabetes community" If it was say 10 years ago that this thread was posted about privacy etc then I would understand but it's not it's 2015 and privacy is very tight etc!!
In my opinion the fact Diabetes.co.uk share the link to some forums so that someone who maybe isn't on the forum who maybe has some useful advice can come and read it and share there opinion etc. In my eyes its a way of spreading the awareness and importance of Diabetes!!
I understand people want it to be private but we shouldn't be ashamed of our illnesses.

Anyway I think those links have been removed now.

And cue everything going against me...ha...over and out.

Reactions: 13 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
So my opinion is going to be totally different...and I dont mean for it to offend anyone in anyway as it is my opinion....anyway I am younger than most of you on this thread and after being on Facebook for nearly 7 years...I have had no problems with privacy or trust on Facebook....unless something has happened to you personally then Facebook's privacy stuff is quite high! Hardly anyone reads T&C but this forum isn't stated as being private....and on the bottom of the page it shows all the social media's that it is linked with....hence "the global diabetes community" If it was say 10 years ago that this thread was posted about privacy etc then I would understand but it's not it's 2015 and privacy is very tight etc!!
In my opinion the fact Diabetes.co.uk share the link to some forums so that someone who maybe isn't on the forum who maybe has some useful advice can come and read it and share there opinion etc. In my eyes its a way of spreading the awareness and importance of Diabetes!!
I understand people want it to be private but we shouldn't be ashamed of our illnesses.

Hi Nicola, yes I do understand where you are coming from, you grew up with facebook,( I know millions love it) I didn't, and it's just my view, how I feel about casting the net a greater distance. But I am definitely not ashamed about diabetes at all, I never have been.:)
How are you Nicola, doing okay and working hard lol:)

RRB

Reactions: 3 people

daniT1D

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Not at all against you Nicola .. My fault for posting things here that I wouldn't of posted on FB :(

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not at all against you Nicola .. My fault for posting things here that I wouldn't of posted on FB :(

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

It's something you noticed and then brought it to members attention. No need for a sad face, daniTD1, honestly :)
It has been an eye opener, thank you for posting :)

RRB

Reactions: 6 people
K

Kat100

You don't recall it because you didn't read the Ts + Cs. To be honest, neither did I at the time but I also accept that I am not in a position to complain now. As they say in law, ignorance is not an excuse and neither is our illness.
Not making excuses ...just only focused on getting support when I joined this forum .....
Thank you for your honesty in saying you did not read terms and conditions ...
I can't remember them at all.....
Sometimes we only read what we have to ....or need to ...which is interesting in a health topic ....complex I call that ....needs and wants ...
Glad this topic has come to light though ....
Policy's guidelines etc can I guess always be reviewed and updated ...
Communication is a tool and model in its self with many components ....

Ignorance was bliss .....but I am glad I know more now ....

Last edited:

poohtiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Getting old and diabetese
When I got my diagnosis the last place I would have thought of looking for help would have been Facebook. I typed in Diabetese help and that's where I found this forum. I hate Facebook, I hate what happens because of it, hate the fact everybody knows all about everybody and we had a family fallout happen simply because of postings on Facebook, I never realised that this forum was in any way linked to Facebook, sadly I can feel my confidence ebbing away from a forum I have come to love. I must say that,as a newbie looking for help, I was panicky, confused, upset and just needed some help and advice, then and there, I did not want to waste several hours reading t & c' s. I will never be that hasty again

Reactions: 11 people

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
I think this issue should go to a poll, seriously and take it from there. :)

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Makes no difference to me, I'm on a mission now to learn more every day and help others where possible and I don't care who knows it. I've always hated Facebook for the way it has usurped what I regard as civilised ways of communicating and largely reduced human values to trivialities. I also think personal data is traded as a commodity. But it IS effective too in conveying information to a lot of people quickly, and the values of this forum are far more important, so I shall stick around until I'm thrown off .

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Just had a look at the Facebook. Seems that you can have a go at the fat, greedy, lazy, type 2s over there with impunity :blackeye: Perhaps this is why people prefer posting over here and are unhappy with their words being posted on Facebook. At least you get some protection over here from the ignorant haters.

Reactions: 13 people
D

Deleted member 83869

Hi Nicola, yes I do understand where you are coming from, you grew up with facebook,( I know millions love it) I didn't, and it's just my view, how I feel about casting the net a greater distance. But I am definitely not ashamed about diabetes at all, I never have been.:)
How are you Nicola, doing okay and working hard lol:)

RRB
Hello, I know and I respect other people's opinions! :)
I am okay just sofa-less still haha and fed up with my doctors but Im plodding along...working hard haha don't get me started on work! Xx

Reactions: 6 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think this issue should go to a poll, seriously and take it from there. :)

To be honest, I think a poll would achieve little. It might show the total of those who participated in the poll who weren't happy, versus those who are content. But, I am pretty certain it would change nothing. The Ts & Cs we agreed to are pretty standard. Even if 200 forum members respnded to the poll, what percentage is that of the membership?

The collective "we" have to get our heads around the absolute fact that anything we post on a forum or the internet in general is no longer our own to control.

Expecting Diabetes.co.uk to change their Ts & Cs is a potentially immense task, probably involving enormous costs; money that could be more usefully spent elsewhere.

To be honest, my gut feel is if the net of this forum is cast less wide, we could be effectively restricting access, which would sadden me. I have got so much from this forum, and so many more people deserve the same access to the same wonderful information, and people.

For those who are feeling exposed, perhaps taking down personal photos and a change of user name would effectively wrest greater anonymity out of the current situation. I appreciate we would need the goodwill and support of Admin (@Giverny ) for the name changes, but I think if a user name is changed, the change also re-labels all historic posts at the same time. I wonder if @Giverny would confirm that fact?

Status
Not open for further replies.