Status
Not open for further replies.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm shocked. i purposelly have not joined the group on facebook as there are people I would not want to know about my diabetes. I'm going to change my pic now just incase.
Exactly my thoughts too.

Reactions: 2 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Most of the posts on the forum are publicly visible. You don't need to be a member to see them. Therefore what is shown on the facebook page is purely a link to another website. As such, as you are participating in a public forum there are no privacy rules about linking to the forum as it isn't actually private! You only require a membership to post.

If you have included private details in your visible persona, you may want to remove these or change your user name/photo. Your signature appears to remain private to forum members so they cannot see the details posted there.

This is in line with the way in which 99% of internet forums operate.

Reactions: 4 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Most of the posts on the forum are publicly visible. You don't need to be a member to see them. Therefore what is shown on the facebook page is purely a link to another website. As such, as you are participating in a public forum there are no privacy rules about linking to the forum as it isn't actually private! You only require a membership to post.

Thank you for the information tim
Hoping some changes will be made then ?

Best wishes RRB

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That isn't the point. As I said I don't mind anybody in the world seeing my posts on this site, members or not. I do not want my posts on FB.

Reactions: 9 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Thank you for the information tim
Hoping some changes will be made then ?

Best wishes RRB

That's entirely up to the owners of Diabetes UK. In my experience it is unlikely that the forum would make itself invisible to the outside world as that's one of the main ways of generating traffic and increasing membership, and allowing Google to put forum answers high up on the search results.

That isn't the point. As I said I don't mind anybody in the world seeing my posts on this site, members or not. I do not want my posts on FB.
I don't see anything in the Ts and Cs prohibiting that, or in the Privacy Policy, so I think it may require a conversation with @Giverny and more likely the owners and whoever manages the facebook site. Again, it is another source of traffic generation and is typically how many forums increase footfall.

If you take some fairly simple steps to keep your identity well masked, it shouldn't cause you huge issues.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Zand, I do understand, so lets hope we get some good positive feedback on the subject.

Best wishes RRB

Reactions: 6 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
We could have a deny or an accept clause, in regard to facebook posts. The owners can still post on Facebook, and I do understand many sites try to put their's across by casting a large net, But I do feel we should have the choice. So a click on accept or deny, simple and to the point. :)

RRB

Reactions: 8 people

Fallgal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am really angry. I hate FB and have never had an account for that very reason. :mad:

dannyw

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've just had a quick look and can't see where membership to this forum allows admin to link to FB. Huge breach of trust in my opinion. Permission should have been gained first. Little point in telling members not to post anything personal after the fact. Hope we get an answer soon.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don't want any of my posts to be put on Facebook final
CAROL

Reactions: 12 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I've just had a quick look and can't see where membership to this forum allows admin to link to FB. Huge breach of trust in my opinion. Permission should have been gained first. Little point in telling members not to post anything personal after the fact. Hope we get an answer soon.
It's a public forum, i.e. a public website, so it's not just the owners, it's anyone has the right to post links to topics in the forum. There is no such thing as "Privacy" of what has been posted.

While it may be incredibly annoying for people, there is nothing illegal or wrong about doing it. That's not to say it's correct, but we do the same thing in here everyday, linking to others' websites!

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Whilst I agree that any one can read what is on a public forum surely that doesn't give the right to repost this any where else without my permission?
CAROL

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't know how to include boxes of quotes from previous posts, but tim2000s's post #25 contains an inaccuracy, as he confuses the charity Diabetes UK [website diabetes.ORG.uk] with this one diabetes.CO.uk which is a commercial site with no direct connection with the charity.
It's because this is a public forum that my forum name Copepod has no connection with my real name, and I never mention either first name nor surname. Where relevant, I am happy to declare that I'm female. but that's all.

dannyw

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's a public forum, i.e. a public website, so it's not just the owners, it's anyone has the right to post links to topics in the forum. There is no such thing as "Privacy" of what has been posted.

While it may be incredibly annoying for people, there is nothing illegal or wrong about doing it. That's not to say it's correct, but we do the same thing in here everyday, linking to others' websites!
I agree others provide links to other sites but generally to medical studies or book links or similar. You wouldn't expect someone to post a link to a site that discusses private medical information and medication ? I'm not sure if it's against the law or not but I think it's certainly morally wrong. If it is just a public forum, why do we need to sign up to be members then ?
Wouldn't it be ironic if this thread was linked to FB ?

K

Kat100

I would not like my posts to be shared on FB or anywhere else , like other forums or sites ...
Will wait for outcome .....
I consider this a site I choose to share on ....I would not like my posts to be anywhere else ....

Reactions: 12 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would not like my posts to be shared on FB or anywhere else , like other forums or sites ...
Will wait for outcome .....
I consider this a site I choose to share on ....I would not like my posts to be anywhere else ....
I agree with you Kat

N

NicolaB70

I agree others provide links to other sites but generally to medical studies or book links or similar. You wouldn't expect someone to post a link to a site that discusses private medical information and medication ? I'm not sure if it's against the law or not but I think it's certainly morally wrong. If it is just a public forum, why do we need to sign up to be members then ?
Wouldn't it be ironic if this thread was linked to FB ?

Can't see it on there...yet!
I haven't got a FB acct but typed in diabetes.co.uk Facebook and the page opened and I was able to see and read all posts made. There are several posts for this forum with links to different threads and if opened our comments can be read by anyone.
I'm not really happy about it either

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Unfortunately, like all medical support forums that I've seen, the forum is a public domain. It is accessible via any web browser or app from any device. It is not a closed, hidden from view environment. If you choose to discuss your medication on here you are doing it very much in public and anyone can see it.

Whether a link is posted on facebook, twitter, pinterest or any other sharing site, it was already public. It is simply being shared, much as we would share links with people, or even point friends at this site via an email with a link in it. A google search gives referrals to your posts on various items if someone looks for them.

It's six of one/half a dozen of the other. If you want to reach the population who participate in the forum it has to be public which means that any of it can be shared by anyone to any location. This is not unique to facebook. Type "Freestyle Libre" into Google and you will find the topic on this forum at number 7 on the list, with access to all posts.

Why do you need to obtain membership to post? Because it is then possible to maintain control over who posts what, rather than to induce any level of privacy.

Reactions: 2 people

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
Personally I don't care if anything I say gets talked about on the ten o'clock news, but it's shocking it is done, I totally understand why your all getting bent out of shape

I do hope my membership to nakedlimbodancing.co.uk doesn't get mentioned on FB.... It's private!

Reactions: 10 people

dannyw

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm aware that anyone who "Google's" a diabetes forum search can see anything here. That's not the issue. My worry is that it is the forum admin itself posting links. I still don't think that's right. This place is where many come when desperate or struggling and some very personal stuff is shared here. For this to be posted to FB I still don't think is morally right. We'll see. Let's wait for a reply from forum admin.

Status
Not open for further replies.