Status
Not open for further replies.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
@Administrator Well I do not trust Facebook. I do not want my posts shared there. I don't mind that my posts are publicly visible but I still don't want them on FB. But I guess admin and the site owners will do what they want anyway. You failed to realise it was of concern because you didn't ask us! Like RRB I feel this is wrong and would like an 'opt-out' option.

I agree with @LittleGreyCat that this forum feels like a family. Facebook does not. I do not want the site owners publishing any of my content on Facebook. I can't see them changing this policy though, so we all have to think seriously about whether we are comfortable still posting here. I feel betrayed.

Just to say it again @zand:

ANYONE can link content from ANY website to Facebook.
If you don't want your posts on a web forum (not just this one) visible on Facebook then sadly you cannot post anything to the Internet.

What people are effectively saying is "anyone with a Facebook account can link to this content - apart from the forum owners ".
There can be no global opt out from Facebook, as far as I know.

Reactions: 2 people

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
It is a privaledge (sp?) that we are allowed to post here, we follow the rules or not, this sounds like it's part of the rules (not that I ever read them) so no point complaining, it would be like someone in North Korea complaining, this is not a democracy, it's never been the case, so we choose to post or not, what we think is right or wrong is irrelevant, the rules are the rules and we all know where the door is :)

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I just think it is deceitful for the forum owners to publish stuff from a SUPPORT forum on Facebook. That's not support that's betrayal. I realise anyone else can do it. That isn't the point. I feel used and violated by these 'catch all' rules. I realise 'every organisation' has them, but this is not supporting me, it is upsetting me, using me. A newbie upset at being recently diagnosed is not going to read every single word of the rules and regulations. It isn't illegal to use these catch all phrases but it's immoral. Is that right for a 'support' forum?

@Andy12345 You're right of course we all know where the door is. Maybe that's the answer vote with our feet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 10 people
K

Kat100

I also agree with you Kat.
Im on Skype to talk to family abroad,recently I have had a lot of people trying to contact me on Skype who I dont know,I have deleated them,I dont know how they get my Skype account.
Im not blaming the forum,but it could be somthing to do with Face Book.
Same problem ....how do others know about skype ....
I to have had to deleate people who I don't know on Skype ....yes I think it maybe FB ....

Reactions: 5 people
K

Kat100

Hello, I mentioned in a post of an accept or a deny button, I'm sure Giverny, the tech wizard could implement something along those lines. Or Admin could possibly start a thread with a yes, accept, or a no, decline poll regarding Facebook. What do think about this, a good idea ?

Many thanks RRB
Yes good idea , I support that ....

I can see this getting difficult though ....we hit buttons so fast sometimes ....but an opt out clause would be good as in please don't post my contributions I make on FB ....and I would hope this would extend to others who use this site not using info elsewhere ...that would be a polite request

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would still like an accept or a decline button put in place. I know millions post on facebook and absolutely love it and show and talk about anything and everything.
To me the members on this forum are, in general, so supportive, helpful and such wonderful people. I wouldn't want to lose that. It's like an extended close knit family to me, but I don't want the net to be cast adrift for all in sundry.
Just my feelings.

Looking forward to admin answering my posts in due course :)

RRB :)

Whilst the opt in/opt out question might seem simple enough to construct, I wouldn't fancy building the background policing algorithms. (Not that I could build them, even if I wanted to.)

Reactions: 4 people
K

Kat100

I would still like an accept or a decline button put in place. I know millions post on facebook and absolutely love it and show and talk about anything and everything.
To me the members on this forum are, in general, so supportive, helpful and such wonderful people. I wouldn't want to lose that. It's like an extended close knit family to me, but I don't want the net to be cast adrift for all in sundry.
Just my feelings.

Looking forward to admin answering my posts in due course :)

RRB :)
Total support from me ....kat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Whilst the opt in/opt out question might seem simple enough to construct, I wouldn't fancy building the background policing algorithms. (Not that I could build them, even if I wanted to.)

I have no idea, I'm not a tech wizz at all. lol Sites, can, but try :)

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
@AndBreathe it would be nigh on impossible. You would need to remove posts from a thread, making the thread potentially impossible to follow, remove quotes and fundamentally, the sharing functionality simply posts the topic URL, so doesn't actually look at the content detail.

In addition, let's not forget that Facebook posts are only in the Facebook group which means they are not generally visible on Facebook to all and sundry. If you were to do a check, I would expect that the crossover between Facebook and forum members would amount to around 80%. Given that right now members viewing this forum are outweighed about 3:1 by guests, I don't really see what the fuss is all about.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@AndBreathe it would be nigh on impossible. You would need to remove posts from a thread, making the thread potentially impossible to follow, remove quotes and fundamentally, the sharing functionality simply posts the topic URL, so doesn't actually look at the content detail.

In addition, let's not forget that Facebook posts are only in the Facebook group which means they are not generally visible on Facebook to all and sundry. If you were to do a check, I would expect that the crossover between Facebook and forum members would amount to around 80%. Given that right now members viewing this forum are outweighed about 3:1 by guests, I don't really see what the fuss is all about.

I realised that Tim, but wanted to leave Admin the opportunity to address it.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people

That's absolutely fine tim, but others do have concerns and so should hopefully be addressed by admin in due course.

RRB

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
It might help admin and the forum owner if members who have concerns can clearly state what they are concerned about with posting on Facebook by the forum owner.

We have the statement that certain members don't trust Facebook. Is that the only reason?

Reactions: 4 people
K

Kat100

I did not accept FB to be an extension of this support forum ....
But I am aware of the global world that we live in , to some extent .....

Now it seems others who are not members here can comment on members problems or questions .....
I guess that is not just limited to FB though ....

Reactions: 5 people

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
I'm very private about being diabetic, I don't discuss it with anyone. I keep it to myself. I only ever speak about on this forum and expect it to be kept here!

Reactions: 10 people

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
I just think it is deceitful for the forum owners to publish stuff from a SUPPORT forum on Facebook. That's not support that's betrayal. I realise anyone else can do it. That isn't the point. I feel used and violated by these 'catch all' rules. I realise 'every organisation' has them, but this is not supporting me, it is upsetting me, using me. A newbie upset at being recently diagnosed is not going to read every single word of the rules and regulations. It isn't illegal to use these catch all phrases but it's immoral. Is that right for a 'support' forum?

@Andy12345 You're right of course we all know where the door is. Maybe that's the answer vote with our feet.

@zand perhaps it is time to point out that the Facebook Group for diabetes.co.uk is also a support group for diabetics and fulfils the same function as this web forum.

For those who are not familiar with Facebook and avoid it, you may not realise that just having a Facebook account does not mean that you automatically see everything everybody posts on Facebook.
You see what you post, plus anything people you have made friends with post.
You also see posts from any group that you have joined or elected to follow.

In this case the diabetes.co.uk Facebook Group is a support forum for diabetics and carries much of the same information and questions that you see on here.

Although I did drop a heavy hint, nobody seems to have picked up that there is also a Twitter feed from diabetes.co.uk which carries very similar content.
So if you are going to impose (possibly impossible) limits on re-publishing information from this forum then you need to include Twitter.
Unless of course you regard Twitter as wonderful and Facebook as the work of the devil.

This web forum, the Facebook page, and the Twitter feed are all trying to do the same thing using different forms of Social Media.
This increase the chances of engaging newly diagnosed and long term diabetics looking for help and support.

I am really struggling with the notion that re-publishing posts on the Facebook Support Group is somehow immoral and a breach of trust.
I suspect that is mainly an emotional reaction following the realisation that your information posted on a public web site is just as public as the forum heading "the global diabetes forum" suggests.

I don't think it is fair to blame the forum owners for your lack of understanding about the web, and the implications of posting to a public forum.

Perhaps it is also time to note that membership of this forum is free.
You get this web site without paying for all the facilities.
In return the content you post attracts a readership and this in turn justifies advertisers paying, and other commercial arrangements which keep the forum open and free to support the members.

So please take a deep breath and perhaps revisit the issue in a couple of days.

Oh, and a newbie newly diagnosed is just as likely to go first to the Facebook page, get a feeling for the community, and then perhaps later investigate and join this forum as well.

Cheers

LGC

Reactions: 7 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It might help admin and the forum owner if members who have concerns can clearly state what they are concerned about with posting on Facebook by the forum owner.

We have the statement that certain members don't trust Facebook. Is that the only reason?
I don't see why it is necessary to share the posts on this forum anywhere else. I need to feel safe and I don't feel safe here anymore. If I wanted my posts on Facebook I would put them there myself. I only had 4 'friends ' on FB and it still went wrong for me, I don't wish my posts to appear on it.

@LittleGreyCat I fully understand the workings of the web thankyou. I understand that anyone at all can read my posts on this forum. I do not want them on Facebook because of the problems I have had with FB in the past. If I wanted to join DCUK FB or Twitter I would. If a newbie goes to a facebook page I would expect fellow diabetics on FB to help them.

You say "I suspect that is mainly an emotional reaction following the realisation that your information posted on a public web site is just as public as the forum heading "the global diabetes forum" suggests." Of course I knew it was public. Do you really think I thought this was just between me and 115,000 others? Wow that's some insult!

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
I did not accept FB to be an extension of this support forum ...

Yes you did! You have also accepted by definition that your posts can be reposted on ANY website at the discretion of dcuk. And lof course they also have the right to print it in a magazine or any other media form.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.