Forum posts on facebook

Status
Not open for further replies.

phil1966

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Somehow I can't see that someone calling someone else an " effing frog faced ***** " on this forum remaining unmoderated .But it remains on Facebook .

@ohitsnicola , the threads are there as a tinyurl link that leads to the thread on here.

Which brings me back to a point I made in a previous post, that the link leads to a thread on here that the OP is possibly unaware of being linked to from Facebook. There are comments made by Facebook posters that the OP may never see, or have the right of response to .If a Facebook member wants to make a point, why not use the original thread here to make that comment and reply ?

I'd be interested to hear the opinions from some of the OP's whose threads have been linked , @AnnieC , @ConradJ ? How do you feel about it ?

Signy
If that's the case (they don't moderate FB posts) then that's definitely more of a concern

Reactions: 5 people

poshtotty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
But Diana, whether this is on Facebook or anywhere else on the web, it's no different. One link leads to another and you end up reading about stuff on here (whatever members may post as stuff! :)). It was always exposed. It has never been private. Topics are linked to from the front page of the Diabetes.co.uk website, and that website is linked from other diabetes and non-diabetes websites. The trail never ends.

I think what this probably should remind people is that they should keep personal things they don't want to be shared widely and in public off any internet forum unless it is in a protected area. In reality, anything shared on the internet, even with access restrictions, can end up getting out.

Yes, Tim I do understand that but I feel that the reposting of our threads/comments particularly with regard to our health/medical conditions without our knowledge to somewhere like Facebook which has a lot of privacy issues, feels like being thrown to the lions.

Reactions: 3 people

Administrator

Staff Member
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi all - it's good to see that this has stirred a debate. Just to reiterate - the forum is not private, and that's why it is policy not to have any personally identifiable information (no-one likes those tax-scam emails!).

Our research analytics suggest that most people who come to the forum for the first time will read threads for anywhere between 4 to 12 weeks before taking the plunge and deciding to speak and share their opinions, questions and experiences. They're motivated by the way people are communicating, sharing and liking posts - it's friendly, compassionate and welcoming.

How do we help more people? By spreading the word further. We understand the concerns regarding Facebook. All that is posted is a link to the thread in question - there's no identifiable information in the links that are shared, and users are directed to the forum. This is identical to how people come through to the forum on Google, twitter, Bing or any other platform.

In regards to a Facebook opt-in/opt-out - creating something like this is actually very difficult, as was mentioned earlier in the thread. The fact still remains - the community is improving the health outcomes of other community members through open sharing and engaging; so to then make this forum private goes against all the positive benefits of using the forum. Again, as was mentioned before, this is a global community and we're accepting of all.

Could I ask what the problem is with posting on Facebook? Just as this forum is moderated, so is Facebook (yes, you may find unmoderated comments - there is no reporting system so we have to go through pretty much every comment).

If it's trust, there is no information shared that wouldn't be otherwise shared if a user has come through Google. We don't post any identifiable information, and if a username is ever identifiable Giverny is always quick to ensure users change their email address. It is still private. If anyone has any concerns about their identity on the forum, please contact @Giverny who will change your username to an alias.

Your identity is exactly as private as it was if links were not shared on Facebook. We don't link to facebook profiles, we simply link to forum threads. (This also means that Skype requests are unconnected to the forum!)

If it's that people feel betrayed, we can only apologise. This is not our intention .The forum is public and as mentioned before, we naively assumed people were aware of how internet forums work.

The fact is that all that is shared is a link, like how a link to a forum post is shared in our weekly newsletters or social roundups. It's not identifiable and all the research suggests it is positively affecting others peoples' health outcomes.

As stated before (but in more detail):

• 73% of forum members said that they had improved their understanding of diabetes because of information they had read on the diabetes forum
  • 44% of members said they had improved their blood glucose control
  • 35% of members said the forum had helped them to reduce their HbA1c
  • 55% of members said they had improved their diet choices
  • 49% of members said they had more confidence in managing their diabetes

We want to resolve this - but not sharing doesn't seem to be the answer. If that was to be implemented, does that then mean that posts shouldn't be indexable by Google? If so, thousands of members to this forum would never have found the forum - and - hence - not improved their health outcomes. And that's the key - people are getting better/healthier/happier because of what is communicated on this forum.

Reactions: 2 people
D

Deleted member 83869

Somehow I can't see that someone calling someone else an " effing frog faced ***** " on this forum remaining unmoderated .But it remains on Facebook .

@ohitsnicola , the threads are there as a tinyurl link that leads to the thread on here.

Which brings me back to a point I made in a previous post, that the link leads to a thread on here that the OP is possibly unaware of being linked to from Facebook. There are comments made by Facebook posters that the OP may never see, or have the right of response to .If a Facebook member wants to make a point, why not use the original thread here to make that comment and reply ?

I'd be interested to hear the opinions from some of the OP's whose threads have been linked , @AnnieC , @ConradJ ? How do you feel about it ?

Signy

I know I used to be able to see them...but I cannot now...maybe they have changed it!

D

Deleted member 83869

Although I have just looked again and the only thing I can now see is the top 3 posts that was posted on the 18th Feb..that is all!

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
One of my issues about posts being on Facebook is that I set up my own Facebook account with the most privacy available at the time only to find it was altered without my consent or knowledge.

There are people on Facebook who are simply there to laugh at others. I know a few of them. Those people wouldn't bother coming to a forum to do it so the forum felt safer even though it was public.

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all - it's good to see that this has stirred a debate. Just to reiterate - the forum is not private, and that's why it is policy not to have any personally identifiable information (no-one likes those tax-scam emails!).

Our research analytics suggest that most people who come to the forum for the first time will read threads for anywhere between 4 to 12 weeks before taking the plunge and deciding to speak and share their opinions, questions and experiences. They're motivated by the way people are communicating, sharing and liking posts - it's friendly, compassionate and welcoming.

How do we help more people? By spreading the word further. We understand the concerns regarding Facebook. All that is posted is a link to the thread in question - there's no identifiable information in the links that are shared, and users are directed to the forum. This is identical to how people come through to the forum on Google, twitter, Bing or any other platform.

In regards to a Facebook opt-in/opt-out - creating something like this is actually very difficult, as was mentioned earlier in the thread. The fact still remains - the community is improving the health outcomes of other community members through open sharing and engaging; so to then make this forum private goes against all the positive benefits of using the forum. Again, as was mentioned before, this is a global community and we're accepting of all.

Could I ask what the problem is with posting on Facebook? Just as this forum is moderated, so is Facebook (yes, you may find unmoderated comments - there is no reporting system so we have to go through pretty much every comment).

If it's trust, there is no information shared that wouldn't be otherwise shared if a user has come through Google. We don't post any identifiable information, and if a username is ever identifiable Giverny is always quick to ensure users change their email address. It is still private. If anyone has any concerns about their identity on the forum, please contact @Giverny who will change your username to an alias.

Your identity is exactly as private as it was if links were not shared on Facebook. We don't link to facebook profiles, we simply link to forum threads. (This also means that Skype requests are unconnected to the forum!)

If it's that people feel betrayed, we can only apologise. This is not our intention .The forum is public and as mentioned before, we naively assumed people were aware of how internet forums work.

The fact is that all that is shared is a link, like how a link to a forum post is shared in our weekly newsletters or social roundups. It's not identifiable and all the research suggests it is positively affecting others peoples' health outcomes.

As stated before (but in more detail):

• 73% of forum members said that they had improved their understanding of diabetes because of information they had read on the diabetes forum
  • 44% of members said they had improved their blood glucose control
  • 35% of members said the forum had helped them to reduce their HbA1c
  • 55% of members said they had improved their diet choices
  • 49% of members said they had more confidence in managing their diabetes

We want to resolve this - but not sharing doesn't seem to be the answer. If that was to be implemented, does that then mean that posts shouldn't be indexable by Google? If so, thousands of members to this forum would never have found the forum - and - hence - not improved their health outcomes. And that's the key - people are getting better/healthier/happier because of what is communicated on this forum.

I understand the arguments regarding bringing people together and information * on the condition * , but see no need to post links to threads on this forum on the Facebook group. Why not have independent threads on there, which shows originality ?

My issue is that people's threads are linked to without their permission or knowledge, and any comments made by Facebook only members may be unknown to them. To expect members to become Facebook members and/ or check on there regularly is unreasonable , as many people do not wish to connect on Facebook for whatever reasons.

As for links to threads through Google or elsewhere, then if someone does wish to comment on a particular post, then they will have to become a member of this forum, where their post can be seen by the OP and anyone else who may have replied to the thread. This is fair. To expose people to other's sometimes negative comments in a media they possibly do not have or want access to is unfair . That this is being done will surely make some members reluctant to post or reply to threads, or simply join another forum where this is not the practice. ( and they do exist )

If I were a newly diagnosed person, or was looking for information and contact, Facebook would not be my first choice anyway, but should I do so, I would be reluctant to join a forum or organisation that has a Facebook page in which vitriolic and negative posts are made.

The simplest answer as far as my own concerns could be addressed, is continue to have the Facebook group for those that choose to use that media, keep what is on there original WITHOUT linking to threads on here, which in my opinion serves no useful purpose. If people want to know more or connect with this forum, a simple link to the home page would be sufficient .

Signy

Reactions: 7 people

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Although I have just looked again and the only thing I can now see is the top 3 posts that was posted on the 18th Feb..that is all!

Perhaps it's your phone Nicola, they are still there as of now . Otherwise, I don't know why you can't see them :rolleyes::)

Signy

D

Deleted member 83869

upload_2015-1-23_12-31-31.png

That's all I can see! x

Ambersilva

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have a FB account to view and interact with the family. Therefore, I can view and comment on posts on any facebook account except closed or private groups. I looked at the DCUK group under discussion and was able to view the linked threads from this forum and, if I wished, could add a comment to the comments already added by FB members without accessing the URL for the DCUK Forum..

When I am not logged in to my FB account I can still 'google' and view DCUK FB pages and the links to the DCUK Forum threads but cannot view or add to comments.. That means that anyone who has had a thread on DCUK linked to the FB page would have to login with an FB account to respond to comments on their original hijacked thread.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
@Ambersilva Or they could just ignore it. It's not like the discussion on FB adds anything into the forum, and every new post on here is not automatically updated on to facebook. You still have to click the link. So if there are facebook users out there making comments in facebook-land, you might as well ignore them. They aren't directly interacting with you. That they might be acting in an unfavourable way is something diabetes digital media's moderators need to deal with, either by having more people moderating or limiting access to the group.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I'm going over to have a wander over @ Facebook........................

I couldn't see anything on the home page, so I typed in diabetes and then clicked on the logo of this site. I saw a few threads. Below is just one I clicked on :-

Diabetes.co.uk
16 January at 18:30 · Edited ·
Our forum has been very busy today! Here is what we've been talking about:

► Worst place.... | http://bit.ly/1xwP4qI
► Now the X-PERT advice is low carb, high fat |http://bit.ly/1x9VD3w
► Hello they keep telling me I am just pre diabetic. | http://bit.ly/1E7erVQ

...See More

"}" data-reactid=".dk" style="color: rgb(109, 132, 180); cursor: pointer;">Like · · Share · 223

Has @admin done some editing regarding this thread, or maybe I had to look much further down ??

Last edited by a moderator:
A

AnnieC

Not quite sure what this thread means although I have been tagged in it because I did not know there was a Facebook page for this forum so I would not be aware if any of my threads have appeared on it. I do use Facebook but only for personal friends and my family
I will never put personal details on the profile page of Facebook or any other forum including this one and I would never put anything on a forum or social network that I would worry about being seen elsewhere because the internet is an open book and nothing we say on it can really be guaranteed to be private and not seen anywhere else other than where we have put it

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What concerns me is the unmoderated comments that can be made on FB and not seen or accessed by members here.

Does it happen elsewhere (thinking of one small forum in particular)? Of course.
But for it to happen under diabetes.co.uk's umbrella is frankly disgusting.
(Its disgusting wherever it happens, but that is another issue)

It is hypocritical and irresponsible that this forum is moderated, yet diabetes.co.uk says that can't/won't moderate the facebook comments. If they are not going to be moderated, then they shouldn't be visible.

The answer is simple.
  • Remove all links to individual forum threads from the FB page.
  • Replace them with a simple ad for this forum.
  • List the forum subject headings (to whet appetites).
  • Link the ad to the forum welcome page.
  • Problem solved.
  • Increased membership.
  • No ruffled feathers.
  • Less maintenance for admin.

Reactions: 7 people

Administrator

Staff Member
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Just to alleviate any concerns - the Diabetes.co.uk Facebook page is moderated - currently it is moderated by a member of the DCUK Team who spends 80% of her day moderating the DCUK FB.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just to alleviate any concerns - the Diabetes.co.uk Facebook page is moderated - currently it is moderated by a member of the DCUK Team who spends 80% of her day moderating the DCUK FB.

Thank you for the reassurance.

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Not quite sure what this thread means although I have been tagged in it because I did not know there was a Facebook page for this forum so I would not be aware if any of my threads have appeared on it. I do use Facebook but only for personal friends and my family
I will never put personal details on the profile page of Facebook or any other forum including this one and I would never put anything on a forum or social network that I would worry about being seen elsewhere because the internet is an open book and nothing we say on it can really be guaranteed to be private and not seen anywhere else other than where we have put it

I tagged you, @AnnieC as one of the original posters whose thread was linked to on Facebook along with others whose posts were originally made made on this forum ( the "Katie Hopkins" thread , in your case ). I could remember yours and Conrad's threads as being on Facebook, but not the authors of the rest so they aren't named and tagged. :rolleyes:

Signy

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

So using the term " f***ing frog faced ***** " is an example of a moderated post ?

Out of curiosity, you understand, and the offence caused by the implication that a frog looks anything like Katie Hopkins :eek:

Signy

Edited to point out that the asterisks in the above post are mine. The original phrase was in its unedited entirety

Reactions: 5 people
Status
Not open for further replies.