Forum posts on facebook

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Kat100

Which came first this forum or facebook .....?

Interested to know this , I don't know the answer ...

If the forum was here first , then how did its members give permission for their posts to be discussed by non members on FB ....

Reactions: 2 people

Syd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

If the forum was here first , then how did its members give permission for their posts to be discussed by non members on FB ....

Facebook was launched in 2004, whereas Diabetes.co.uk first went online in 2001 but only launched its forum in 2007.

Reactions: 3 people
K

Kat100

So does this mean that members posts have been being shared for for all those years .....

Thank you for you answer @Syd

K

Kat100

What concerns me is the unmoderated comments that can be made on FB and not seen or accessed by members here.

Does it happen elsewhere (thinking of one small forum in particular)? Of course.
But for it to happen under diabetes.co.uk's umbrella is frankly disgusting.
(Its disgusting wherever it happens, but that is another issue)

It is hypocritical and irresponsible that this forum is moderated, yet diabetes.co.uk says that can't/won't moderate the facebook comments. If they are not going to be moderated, then they shouldn't be visible.

The answer is simple.
  • Remove all links to individual forum threads from the FB page.
  • Replace them with a simple ad for this forum.
  • List the forum subject headings (to whet appetites).
  • Link the ad to the forum welcome page.
  • Problem solved.
  • Increased membership.
  • No ruffled feathers.
  • Less maintenance for admin.
It certainly is disgusting wherever it happens , simply not right ..
Seeing members commented on is really not nice.

Reactions: 3 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well I wish I hadn't looked - loads of my posts there. Hmmmm

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
It certainly is disgusting wherever it happens , simply not right ..
Seeing members commented on is really not nice.

Yes Kat, I am one who would like to know a little more about how the forum was set up, by whom, was it by someone who has diabetes.? It it always nice to KNOW about the sites we go on, whether a medical site or a social media site. Facebook clearly states who founded it and when. The more we know about something, the more aware we are and therefore more comfortable with it :)

Reactions: 4 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

DONE........ earlier !!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Yes Kat, I am one who would like to know a little more about how the forum was set up, by whom, was it by someone who has diabetes.? It it always nice to KNOW about the sites we go on, whether a medical site or a social media site. Facebook clearly states who founded it and when. The more we know about something, the more aware we are and therefore more comfortable with it :)

I tend to get a bee in my bonnet and want to ask, ask, ask, until I can't or wont go any further :wideyed: :)

K

Kat100

Yes we need to feel comfortable , at the moment I am not convinced that all who post here realise that their data can be spread into the word of FB for non members to comment on , it just does not feel right ....yes all sites ...agree

A

AnnieC

I tagged you, @AnnieC as one of the original posters whose thread was linked to on Facebook along with others whose posts were originally made made on this forum ( the "Katie Hopkins" thread , in your case ). I could remember yours and Conrad's threads as being on Facebook, but not the authors of the rest so they aren't named and tagged. :rolleyes:

Signy
Oh so that is why I was tagged then but as I said I did not even know there was a Facebook page for this forum so I would not have known This is an open forum so anyone can come here....a good enough reason I think not to put personal details on our profiles. and they don't even have to be a member our conversations are not private so there is nothing to stop anyone reposting stuff or taking information from here to somewhere else

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree Annie, but it's DCUK that's putting our conversations there, not just anyone.

K

Kat100

Ditto what @zand highlighted ....

Non members can talk about members here ....and talk about members posts ...by making comments ...
Not acceptable practice ......

Reactions: 4 people
K

Kat100

Oh so that is why I was tagged then but as I said I did not even know there was a Facebook page for this forum so I would not have known This is an open forum so anyone can come here....a good enough reason I think not to put personal details on our profiles. and they don't even have to be a member our conversations are not private so there is nothing to stop anyone reposting stuff or taking information from here to somewhere else
Seems that others did not know about the FB issues either

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
I didn't know

On saying that I don't really care if they repost anything I say

But do think it's wrong in principle

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

You are absolutely right, but quiet frankly, that just's makes it a free for all.out there. I do not want to see MY posts on Facebook, because I have not chosen to do this myself, with regard to me going onto facebook and commenting on, eg The Boxing Match thread, Question time, with Russell Brand and actually typing it myself. whether with my username or real name.
Probably as an older person, and not being a sheep anyway, I tend to guard my privacy, and I feel, as I have said before, the forum is an extended family to me. If I was talking about certain topics to an real family member and then they posted my comments, and then other people jumped on board with nasty or belittling comments, I would be so annoyed, upset and very let down. We would appear not to be in control of what we write or google on the Internet, it's now everyone's business, which i dislike :watching: it's creepy :eek:

Reactions: 6 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I care that I didn't know and therefore couldn't respond to anything. That seems very wrong. I am considering not posting the kind of posts I usually post here because of this.

Reactions: 5 people

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
<snip>
My issue is that people's threads are linked to without their permission or knowledge, and any comments made by Facebook only members may be unknown to them. To expect members to become Facebook members and/ or check on there regularly is unreasonable , as many people do not wish to connect on Facebook for whatever reasons.

As for links to threads through Google or elsewhere, then if someone does wish to comment on a particular post, then they will have to become a member of this forum, where their post can be seen by the OP and anyone else who may have replied to the thread. This is fair. To expose people to other's sometimes negative comments in a media they possibly do not have or want access to is unfair . That this is being done will surely make some members reluctant to post or reply to threads, or simply join another forum where this is not the practice. ( and they do exist )
<snip>

Just to clarify one point.

If someone finds this site through Google, then yes they can comment on it on Facebook.

They can also comment on it on any of the many, many different discussion areas on the Internet.

People could be linking to posts on here on Mumsnet.
How would you know?
How do you feel about Mumsnet?

People could be commenting on Google+.
How would you know?
How do you feel about Google+?

There are other diabetes fora (all over the world) and people could link to posts on here.
How would you know?
How do you feel about them linking to your posts and discussing them without you knowing?

People could well be commenting on this very thread all over the Internet.
There is no requirement to become a member of this forum to comment on the posts.
There is only a requirement to join this forum to comment on posts within this forum as part of the discussion within this forum.

Facebook is a complete red herring.
This is a public forum and ANY other forum can link to this site and the content within this site, and comment on it without anyone on this site knowing about it.

Please, just because you personally hate Facebook doesn't make others posting to Facebook some kind of crime.

Cheers

LGC

Reactions: 7 people
Status
Not open for further replies.