Forum posts on facebook

Status
Not open for further replies.

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Trust is an honour not a privilege.

I think its a matter of trust, we trust people not to do things that can hurt us, and when they do that trust is damaged, it has to be earned back and nurtured

Reactions: 6 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Trust is an honour not a privilege.

I think its a matter of trust, we trust people not to do things that can hurt us, and when they do that trust is damaged, it has to be earned back and nurtured
Again, if I could like this post 100 times I would. :)

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
when you spend hours upon hours upon years spending time getting to know people, helping people and being helped, forming relationships etc etc, you fall for a place and the people in it (even the ones like me who irritate the hell out of you) is it naive to think that the people running the show care enough about you to not use you as a tool to promote the place at your expense? we may be on the big bad web but its still a place to share our highs and lows with like minded folks in the same boat, we know its not private but people that can see what we write at least have an interest in the subject and i would hope are not the type of moron you see commenting on Facebook posts, by posting this stuff on face book, what we write is being put up for ridicule by these people in an unmoderated enviroment, i don't think anyone here is too dumb to know what we are saying is out there for the world to see, but would we want our stories discussed on sky news? no. these stories of our lives are written in the hopes they help someone else with the same problems or help us in an insulated world, there is no way to do this privately as that would be a diary, so what we write may not be private but it is personal and we should have the choice where it is posted if not here

otherwise why not close the forum and lets all go to Facebook? we don't do that because we don't like Facebook so how could we not get upset to find out that we are indeed on Facebook anyway
@Andy12345 Great post, another one I would like to 'like' 100 times.

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree with you. However for me personally this has raised some serious issues. I need to feel safe. I don't feel safe here now, I'll leave helping others to the rest of you, I need to put myself first. I don't suppose the admin team or the mods would be too happy if I were to greet a newbie with 'Hi, welcome to the forum, just a word of warning DCUK put a reference to some threads here on Facebook' would they? So I won't be opening my heart to anyone here anymore, I will behave as if this forum is in fact Facebook.

I for one would hate to think you felt unsafe, but I do understand your feelings, I for one would miss your presence your kindness and gentle help have been so important to a lot of us, please stick around I need you we need you.

Reactions: 3 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I agree with you. However for me personally this has raised some serious issues. I need to feel safe. I don't feel safe here now, I'll leave helping others to the rest of you, I need to put myself first. I don't suppose the admin team or the mods would be too happy if I were to greet a newbie with 'Hi, welcome to the forum, just a word of warning DCUK put a reference to some threads here on Facebook' would they? So I won't be opening my heart to anyone here anymore, I will behave as if this forum is in fact Facebook.
My sentiments too.

Reactions: 3 people

poshtotty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I for one would hate to think you felt unsafe, but I do understand your feelings, I for one would miss your presence your kindness and gentle help have been so important to a lot of us, please stick around I need you we need you.

I would miss you too Zand. At the end of the day this isn't to do with whether DCUK is a charity or a business. It is to do with it being a site for individuals with medical conditions, some of them very serious and life threatening or life debilitating.

Would a website for cancer patients or heart patients for example repost serious links from its members to Facebook to set them up for ridicule and abuse? This current policy shows a total lack of integrity on behalf of the operators of this site and a lack of respect for its members. Whether we join for free or not, we qualify for membership because of our medical conditions and these conditions should be shown the respect and protection they deserve

Reactions: 9 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
One of the other things I note is that people describe the forum as a "support forum". I was under the impression that it was a community of people who had varying interests in diabetes, some for whom it was a way of sharing information, others for whom it is a way of getting in touch with other diabetics. When I first came across it I didn't consider it a support forum, although I can see that many consider it that way. As an information sharing/community of common interest I can understand why sharing links to topics on Facebook wouldn't be considered an issue.

I guess it depends massively on how you view a forum such as this!

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
One of the other things I note is that people describe the forum as a "support forum". I was under the impression that it was a community of people who had varying interests in diabetes, some for whom it was a way of sharing information, others for whom it is a way of getting in touch with other diabetics. When I first came across it I didn't consider it a support forum, although I can see that many consider it that way. As an information sharing/community of common interest I can understand why sharing links to topics on Facebook wouldn't be considered an issue.

At first for me it was a place to glean information, then as I read on I became aware of the character of the people on here and I gradually realised that the members actually care for the people who end up here, it may have started as a repository of information but it has grown into a community of caring souls who make it into the wonderful support forum it has become.

Reactions: 5 people
K

Kat100

It makes me wonder how this forum compares to others ...with sharing information etc, do other forums use FB and Twitter for example to allow others to be talked about ....

I really as I have said before do not like people feeling that they have been opened to abuse , on FB which this subject is about....and possibly other places ....

I am still hoping for this to be resolved ....
Not all of us are good in the world of the global world so we don't always think about where our posts might end up for discussion ....
And if anyone feels vulnerable their emotions and experiences are going to be shared ...

After all , we shared information about ourself when joining , first posts often give lots of information people are in shock ...then we are encouraged to share more information about ourselves ....the list goes on ....

Perhaps it is time for health forums to be reviewed ....diabetic forums

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I view it as a support forum because that's what I have seen the mods write in a thread where we were all 'squabbling'. I had a warning for posting with ' an us and them' mentality and was told it wasn't appropriate. If it's not a support forum then let's fight! (No, I don't mean it, I'm just making a point)

dannyw

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've never seen any other links to medical threads on FB apart from this one.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

I thought it was a forum for support as that is what is says at the top of the board

Diabetes Discussions
Discuss diabetes issues, get help about diabetes, share your diabetes experiences, offer support, meet other diabetics and learn more about diabetes.

Reactions: 8 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I thought it was a forum for support as that is what is says at the top of the board

Diabetes Discussions
Discuss diabetes issues, get help about diabetes, share your diabetes experiences, offer support, meet other diabetics and learn more about diabetes.
Well, it classes support as one of its mission statements. To me that doesn't make support its primary purpose, but we each read into that what we will.

I know of other forums that share links on Facebook. They are communities of like minded individuals. What the core subject matter is may differ.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

@tim2000s perhaps my interpretation of the board's statement differs from yours as we have different experiences. I came to the forum looking for support, got support right away and continue to receive support every day from the good folk here. So to my mind, it's a support forum.

Reactions: 7 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
@Avocado Sevenfold, that's a perfectly fair statement. It wasn't the reason I arrived here, so as you say, my expectations differ significantly from yours!

One question that constantly comes to mind is that of why this one seems to have a much larger population than many other diabetic forums, and whether this topic is in someway linked to that.

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Support Support Support, you get it here in buckets without any snide remarks,

Reactions: 4 people
A

Avocado Sevenfold

@Avocado Sevenfold, that's a perfectly fair statement. It wasn't the reason I arrived here, so as you say, my expectations differ significantly from yours!

One question that constantly comes to mind is that of why this one seems to have a much larger population than many other diabetic forums, and whether this topic is in someway linked to that.
I can't remember when I joined if I was asked how I came to find the forum. Might be useful to the management if that question was asked.

Also, I don't think members who leave are ever removed from the list.

*sings* You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave :singing:

Reactions: 6 people
Status
Not open for further replies.