1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Forum posts on facebook

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by daniT1D, Jan 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zand

zand Type 2 · Expert

Yes I agree there should be .......

• Like Like x 4
  2. satindoll

satindoll Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Trust is an honour not a privilege.

I think its a matter of trust, we trust people not to do things that can hurt us, and when they do that trust is damaged, it has to be earned back and nurtured

• Like Like x 6
  3. zand

zand Type 2 · Expert

Again, if I could like this post 100 times I would. :)

4. zand

zand Type 2 · Expert

@Andy12345 Great post, another one I would like to 'like' 100 times.

5. satindoll

I for one would hate to think you felt unsafe, but I do understand your feelings, I for one would miss your presence your kindness and gentle help have been so important to a lot of us, please stick around I need you we need you.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Pipp

Pipp Type 2 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

My sentiments too.

• Like Like x 3
  7. poshtotty

poshtotty Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I would miss you too Zand. At the end of the day this isn't to do with whether DCUK is a charity or a business. It is to do with it being a site for individuals with medical conditions, some of them very serious and life threatening or life debilitating.

Would a website for cancer patients or heart patients for example repost serious links from its members to Facebook to set them up for ridicule and abuse? This current policy shows a total lack of integrity on behalf of the operators of this site and a lack of respect for its members. Whether we join for free or not, we qualify for membership because of our medical conditions and these conditions should be shown the respect and protection they deserve

• Like Like x 9
  8. Kat100

Kat100 · Guest

And of course , a duty of care ....

• Like Like x 4
  9. tim2000s

tim2000s Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

One of the other things I note is that people describe the forum as a "support forum". I was under the impression that it was a community of people who had varying interests in diabetes, some for whom it was a way of sharing information, others for whom it is a way of getting in touch with other diabetics. When I first came across it I didn't consider it a support forum, although I can see that many consider it that way. As an information sharing/community of common interest I can understand why sharing links to topics on Facebook wouldn't be considered an issue.

I guess it depends massively on how you view a forum such as this!

10. satindoll

At first for me it was a place to glean information, then as I read on I became aware of the character of the people on here and I gradually realised that the members actually care for the people who end up here, it may have started as a repository of information but it has grown into a community of caring souls who make it into the wonderful support forum it has become.

• Like Like x 5
  11. Kat100

Kat100 · Guest

It makes me wonder how this forum compares to others ...with sharing information etc, do other forums use FB and Twitter for example to allow others to be talked about ....

I really as I have said before do not like people feeling that they have been opened to abuse , on FB which this subject is about....and possibly other places ....

I am still hoping for this to be resolved ....
    Not all of us are good in the world of the global world so we don't always think about where our posts might end up for discussion ....
    And if anyone feels vulnerable their emotions and experiences are going to be shared ...

After all , we shared information about ourself when joining , first posts often give lots of information people are in shock ...then we are encouraged to share more information about ourselves ....the list goes on ....

Perhaps it is time for health forums to be reviewed ....diabetic forums

• Like Like x 2
    #211 Kat100, Jan 24, 2015 at 3:33 PM
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2015
  12. zand

zand Type 2 · Expert

I view it as a support forum because that's what I have seen the mods write in a thread where we were all 'squabbling'. I had a warning for posting with ' an us and them' mentality and was told it wasn't appropriate. If it's not a support forum then let's fight! (No, I don't mean it, I'm just making a point)

• Like Like x 2
  13. dannyw

dannyw Type 1 · BANNED

I've never seen any other links to medical threads on FB apart from this one.

• Like Like x 2
  14. I thought it was a forum for support as that is what is says at the top of the board

Diabetes Discussions
    Discuss diabetes issues, get help about diabetes, share your diabetes experiences, offer support, meet other diabetics and learn more about diabetes.

• Like Like x 8
  15. tim2000s

tim2000s Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

Well, it classes support as one of its mission statements. To me that doesn't make support its primary purpose, but we each read into that what we will.

I know of other forums that share links on Facebook. They are communities of like minded individuals. What the core subject matter is may differ.

16. @tim2000s perhaps my interpretation of the board's statement differs from yours as we have different experiences. I came to the forum looking for support, got support right away and continue to receive support every day from the good folk here. So to my mind, it's a support forum.

• Like Like x 7
  17. tim2000s

tim2000s Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

@Avocado Sevenfold, that's a perfectly fair statement. It wasn't the reason I arrived here, so as you say, my expectations differ significantly from yours!

One question that constantly comes to mind is that of why this one seems to have a much larger population than many other diabetic forums, and whether this topic is in someway linked to that.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Kat100

Kat100 · Guest

Support all the way ...

• Like Like x 4
  19. satindoll

Support Support Support, you get it here in buckets without any snide remarks,

• Like Like x 4
  20. I can't remember when I joined if I was asked how I came to find the forum. Might be useful to the management if that question was asked.

Also, I don't think members who leave are ever removed from the list.

*sings* You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave :singing:

• Like Like x 6
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook