Status
Not open for further replies.

dannyw

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well for me this has gone from a great thread to something a little disappointing. Shame really. Good luck to all those who post their stories here.

Reactions: 6 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
OK here's a recap of why the thread was set up.

"Please can members who do or have tried the LC/HF diet recently or in the past .
Who may have struggled to lose weight easily whilst using the LC/HF diet in their eating routine/regime .
Please post up your stories on how or why you found this a struggle .
We would be interested to hear of this if you have found it a struggle or difficult ."

Reactions: 4 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

"Please can members who do or have tried the LC/HF diet recently or in the past .
Who may have struggled to lose weight easily whilst using the LC/HF diet in their eating routine/regime .
We would be interested to hear of this if you have found it a struggle or difficult ."

To avoid getting into a loop, I will leave the thread, now.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Pipp stop please.....say why it didn't work for you, please! it's important! I'll give a bop on the nose to anyone who is horrid to you ;)

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Low carb has changed my life for the better!
And for the last fifteen years before. You name it, I tried it including the eatwell plate! That put weight on! So did the low fat diet!
My experience because of my condition means that if I want to live healthy with control, the only way is very low carb.
I don't intend to give details of what I eat or how I low carb, I want to support people who are struggling to get to grips with their blood glucose levels.
I do often mention that all my endocrine system was in such a state, fatty liver, kidney function, high cholestrol high BP. Et al! I was approaching 17 stone!

I am now 12stone!
And my consultant wants another 2stone off. It's a reasonable target!

I don't understand criticism when you are trying to help stop the confusion!

The message getting out there is that low carbing done right gets you healthy and can lose you weight and it does get your blood sugars down.
It improves your fitness and helps clear your system of all the unwanted visceral fat. Which most overweight people would love to get rid off.

To me it's straightforward logic, if posters are happy not doing low carbing, you can't force them. Just help them!

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
To avoid getting into a loop, I will leave the thread, now.
@Pipp
I would really like to hear your story! There are plenty of reasons why you don't LCHF!
I believe that it's to do with other circumstances than the diabetes.
Tell us I could be chatting b.....s!

Dibbles1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Moderators who block helpful people for no reason
I lost 3 st 4 lbs on LCHF
By definition, lowering carbs raises the percentage of fats.
Low carb high fat has changed my life for the better.
I am unable to maintain my weight or manage my BG levels without it.

Reactions: 5 people

Pollylocks

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not many.
Well for me this has gone from a great thread to something a little disappointing. Shame really. Good luck to all those who post their stories here.

I don't mind posting my story...when I was diagnosed, getting on for fourteen years ago, my HbA1c was 16 point something...at that time I followed what I was told as that was all I knew....eatwell plate, plenty of carbs, so that's what I did but I did cut my calories...guess what I improved but it came to a standstill....I found this site a couple of years ago and decided to follow LCHF.....I am so daft that I thought the HF part of LCHF meant high fat, didn't realise it just meant 'full fat' [I do think that should be explained to new members who may be thick like me!]....when I did that's how I started eating, my HbA1c is now 6.3 and I feel much better [still need to improve it!], have loads more energy, wow you should see me do my seafront walk, I couldn't have done it a couple of years ago....my weight is till much the same, would love to lose a stone/stone and a half [other medication which makes it difficult] but I feel SO MUCH BETTER!

@Pipp , please don't go, your posts are valuable.

Reactions: 8 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
That is not going to happen.
What I see on forum is that anyone who does have a different diet, or opinion tends to be ridiculed. I find that very distasteful, and disrespectful. Whenever I have attempted to explain what I have done, or the difficulty I have with a diet I am told it is wrong. Even though 10 years after diagnosis, I have managed 3 and a half years with non-diabetic BG, and no longer have diabetes medication. I do not dismiss or disrespect other peoples' diets just because they do not suit me.
Add to this that our posts are discussed on facebook, and another, smaller, newer low carb forum, which spends a lot of time ridiculing members and moderators of DCUK, and I have completely lost interest, and trust in posting regularly.

That's sad pipp, but you have your reasons and I fully understand.

'If brains were Smarties, some wouldn't have enough to fill a tube ' :p :)

Take care RRB

Reactions: 2 people

poshtotty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

In the past 3 months I have started 2 threads in which I list the benefits of LCHF including the improvement of another medical condition, and in today's thread the loss of inches. In both threads I mention that my weight loss is slow and I don't understand why, but I can see so many other benefits of LCHF that I am committed to it for life. My first thread was kindly described by more than one member as "inspirational".

Therefore if moderators are checking all threads I fail to see why a new one on this subject is needed especially at this time when the climate is already delicate due to the unanswered questions about exploitation on Facebook of our personal stories.

I will not be sharing my story here since its already been shared in two separate threads and because I share @Pipp's and others mistrust of orchestrated subjects for debate which are presumably intended as more fodder for Facebook

Reactions: 8 people

poshtotty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That is not going to happen.

Add to this that our posts are discussed on facebook, and another, smaller, newer low carb forum, which spends a lot of time ridiculing members and moderators of DCUK, and I have completely lost interest, and trust in posting regularly.

Jeez, is that still happening? Haven't they moved on yet?? :rolleyes:

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Lets move along to more positive posts here .

Adelle0607

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
With the low carb diet I am losing weight without even trying.

It has improved on my blood sugar levels, pcos symptoms, hdl cholesterol, blood pressure and fatty liver disease is now reversed.

Although, when I did have high fat, I had cholesterol polyps on my gallbladder afterwards and acid reflux issues. So now I've Adjusted my diet to low carb moderate fat which translates to avoiding refined sugars, common culprits such as rice, potatoes and processed carbs. I don't necessarily eat a lot of high fat because of my other issues. I have fruit everyday in small quantities/ berries moderate amount.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
So to address the original question, an office colleague decided to try a LCHF diet to lose some weight. I had told her about my diet and she had seen how much weight I'd lost and I'd told her how I'd lost my sugar/carb cravings. So, she started a version of LCHF about a month ago. She has lost 4 pounds, but says she has stalled. She is not overweight or diabetic (she has had her blood glucose levels checked) and she is 30 years old, good health.

However, I don't think she is doing it quite right. The food she eats, as she describes it to me, sounds fine. But she is counting the calories and is at around 1,100 a day. That sounds pretty low to me. I've suggested she increase her calories by increasing the good fat. Can't wait to see if that works or if she gains weight. Of course, the problem may be she is already at the right weight for her.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@NoCrbs4Me I think you may be right about the need to increase calories to lose weight sometimes. I lost more weight on 1200 calories than 600 and am now embarking on VLCHF without counting calories at all.

G

graj0

I am so daft that I thought the HF part of LCHF meant high fat, didn't realise it just meant 'full fat' [I do think that should be explained to new members who may be thick like me!]
@Pipp , please don't go, your posts are valuable.
You're not so daft or thick, you were right the first time. When did somebody decide the letters in an acronym didn't have to represent the words? If anybody wants to refer to "Full Fat", they better start calling it LCFF because there's a lot of websites out there that refer to "Low Carbohydrate High Fat". You're be telling me that LoL doesn't mean "Lots of Love" next. LOL
Also, as the original question was about LCHF, I have written about my experience with just Low carb, so apologies for that, I think if I'd replaced those carb calories with HF calories as in high fat, I would not have had the same success with weight loss.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Also, as the original question was about LCHF, I have written about my experience with just Low carb, so apologies for that, I think if I'd replaced those carb calories with HF calories as in high fat, I would not have had the same success with weight loss.

I'm not sure this is true with me, though it's too soon in my experiment to say for sure. As I said earlier I am now doing VLCHF without counting calories, (before that I did LCHF 1200 calories). So far the extra fat is not stopping me from losing weight, but ideally I need to stick to this and report back in 3 months to know for sure.
I'll start counting my calories now so I know how many calories I am having, but I won't restrict them at all.....and I'll let you know.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.