Status
Not open for further replies.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If the organisation truly cares about the well being of diabetics there should be some changes very soon.(I, for one, would like to see the forum only shown as an advertisement on the FB page) .

I suspect though that commercial interests will win in the end so I'm not expecting any changes all.

There's a challenge DCUK - surprise me! I think I know what's going to happen next. :rolleyes: :)

Reactions: 6 people

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I doubt it will happen in my lifetime, but with the strides forward in new medications and understanding of diabetes a cure is creeping nearer, my girl who is in research tells me they know why it happens for t1 they know what is needed its just how to deliver and keep alive the cells that is proving difficult but she says it will come, and when that happens t2 will be close behind, then all types will have a chance at a normal life as research in Lada and Mody is coming along nicely too, and then who knows a vaccination against diabetes may be on the cards, then this forum will be redundant

Reactions: 5 people

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
If the organisation truly cares about the well being of diabetics there should be some changes very soon.(I, for one, would like to see the forum only shown as an advertisement on the FB page) .

I suspect though that commercial interests will win in the end so I'm not expecting any changes all.

There's a challenge DCUK - surprise me! I think I know what's going to happen next. :rolleyes: :)

As you say an advert is all that's needed for those who are interested or need help.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I doubt it will happen in my lifetime, but with the strides forward in new medications and understanding of diabetes a cure is creeping nearer, my girl who is in research tells me they know why it happens for t1 they know what is needed its just how to deliver and keep alive the cells that is proving difficult but she says it will come, and when that happens t2 will be close behind, then all types will have a chance at a normal life as research in Lada and Mody is coming along nicely too, and then who knows a vaccination against diabetes may be on the cards, then this forum will be redundant

And I think we all look forward to that day.

Reactions: 2 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

For me, it feels like it already is redundant.

Scardoc

I love the way you can read the first few pages of this thread, and administrators response, skip to page 15/16 and feel like you've not missed anything!

Welcome to the wonderful world of the internet! On any site, if you are online, there is one simple rule and I hammer it home to my kids all the time:

Do not post anything online you would not want people to see.

Simple. If someone, as the example on p15 used, does not want anyone to know about a horrendous first date then don't post it online. If this is shared and someone on FB reads it and says "I had something similar happen" and joins the site then it's a victory. If someone trolls and decides to be nasty then I'm afraid you can't stop it and have to report it to the relevant bodies. We've all seen threads over the years that can lead to nastiness without being shared.

Reactions: 4 people

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I love the way you can read the first few pages of this thread, and administrators response, skip to page 15/16 and feel like you've not missed anything!

Welcome to the wonderful world of the internet! On any site, if you are online, there is one simple rule and I hammer it home to my kids all the time:

Do not post anything online you would not want people to see.

Simple. If someone, as the example on p15 used, does not want anyone to know about a horrendous first date then don't post it online. If this is shared and someone on FB reads it and says "I had something similar happen" and joins the site then it's a victory. If someone trolls and decides to be nasty then I'm afraid you can't stop it and have to report it to the relevant bodies. We've all seen threads over the years that can lead to nastiness without being shared.

We are persistently consistent.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
It is obvious reading through all the comments that a lot of people came here seeking a safe and private forum within which to share.
Although this is not a private forum, the wish was father to the thought, and people felt and acted as if this was private.

We have all had a major wake up call.

As far as I can see the forum must remain public to allow non-members to read threads before they decide that they want to join or decide to just lurk.
This gives the Catch22 that all posts are visible and can be re-posted anywhere.

Now on some other fora there is a private "members lounge" which is only visible to signed up members of the forum.
So what happens in the forum stays in the forum.

One example:
http://www.motorhomefacts.com/forum-70.html
This claims to be read access for members only - haven't tested it yet but you get the idea.

So I propose (if this hasn't been proposed already - this thread is growing faster than I can read it) that a new area is created; Members Only - where only signed up members can read the threads.

Hopefully this will provide the feature that many thought that they already had; a private forum visible to signed up members only.

This also gives the opportunity for threads which are felt to be too personal to be generally visible on the Internet to be moved into the private area.
This is obviously a very difficult area because for any thread some posters may be happy to have their posts visible whilst others are not.

@Giverny @Administrator I would welcome your feedback on this.

Regards

LGC

Reactions: 7 people

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
It is obvious reading through all the comments that a lot of people came here seeking a safe and private forum within which to share.
Although this is not a private forum, the wish was father to the thought, and people felt and acted as if this was private.

We have all had a major wake up call.

As far as I can see the forum must remain public to allow non-members to read threads before they decide that they want to join or decide to just lurk.
This gives the Catch22 that all posts are visible and can be re-posted anywhere.

Now on some other fora there is a private "members lounge" which is only visible to signed up members of the forum.
So what happens in the forum stays in the forum.

One example:
http://www.motorhomefacts.com/forum-70.html
This claims to be read access for members only - haven't tested it yet but you get the idea.

So I propose (if this hasn't been proposed already - this thread is growing faster than I can read it) that a new area is created; Members Only - where only signed up members can read the threads.

Hopefully this will provide the feature that many thought that they already had; a private forum visible to signed up members only.

This also gives the opportunity for threads which are felt to be too personal to be generally visible on the Internet to be moved into the private area.
This is obviously a very difficult area because for any thread some posters may be happy to have their posts visible whilst others are not.

@Giverny @adminstrator I would welcome your feedback on this.

Regards

LGC

Sounds good but would there be any way to stop the threads therein being cut and pasted or copied and removed out of the private area onto the open web, not being that technically minded or clever I can't see how you could stop that, and if not how would you tell who it was who did the deed as the person concerned would have signed in as a member, maybe I'm not making much sense but I know what I mean

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I tried to message Administrator and Giverny, but a message came up to say I couldn't message Administrator, so I had to change it to Admin + Giverny.

Hopefully a reply will be here in due course.:)

RRB

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Sounds good but would there be any way to stop the threads therein being cut and pasted or copied and removed out of the private area onto the open web, not being that technically minded or clever I can't see how you could stop that, and if not how would you tell who it was who did the deed as the person concerned would have signed in as a member, maybe I'm not making much sense but I know what I mean
Just to be clear, there is nothing stopping anybody cutting and pasting the content of any web page to another website, but this thread didn't start because of that type of behaviour.

The behaviour being addressed here is to stop links to content forum being pasted onto another website. In a "members only" area, if the link is posted to hidden away content, then you can't get to it without being a forum member. Try it here: http://custombats.co.uk/cbforum/index.php?topic=33305.0

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Just to be clear, there is nothing stopping anybody cutting and pasting the content of any web page to another website, but this thread didn't start because of that type of behaviour.

The behaviour being addressed here is to stop links to content forum being pasted onto another website. In a "members only" area, if the link is posted to hidden away content, then you can't get to it without being a forum member. Try it here: http://custombats.co.uk/cbforum/index.php?topic=33305.0

I know that this thread was started because of the posts links being put onto Facebook, my point/question was even if a private area was set up what was to stop a pseudo member gaining access and reposting those posts and you have answered my question, = nothing, so what's the point of having a private area

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If your level of discomfiture is that acute, how do you reconcile with internet fora at all?

K

Kat100

This is not personal it is about clarity and feeling safe , and clarity I has been asked for ...

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
@satindoll There is absolutely nothing I know to prevent content from a private area being copied and then reposted.

As long as you can display it on your computer screen then you can use the "screen print" function to save a picture locally.
Harder and not as flexible as using standard "copy&paste" but if someone is determined to take content from this forum and post it elsewhere then this will always be possible.

If this is felt to be unacceptable then don't post ANYTHING on the Internet.
You can't have posts which are visible to others but so tightly controlled that they can't be copied in any format under any circumstances.

As I understand it there are some members who don't want links to their threads here to be posted on Facebook.
Further, they want an area which is sufficiently private that only members of this forum can see the posts and respond to them.
This seems achievable and a way to provide what most people who have complained appear to want.

Providing a Members Only area is not rendered pointless because members of the forum can copy content.
This would give a massive increase in privacy.
This would allow people to chose if their posts were visible to everyone, or just to members of the forum.

Oh, and you have introduced the concept of a "pseudo-member".
Could you please explain exactly what that is?
Up until now I assumed that there were members and non-members.

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I think you are misunderstanding my posts, I have tried to ask questions that I did not know the answer to, I have a problem sometimes with getting the right words together to either ask or explain things, a pseudo member is one who joins just to cause trouble or annoy or blast can't find the word, sorry if I haven't made myself clear

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I think you are misunderstanding my posts, I have tried to ask questions that I did not know the answer to, I have a problem sometimes with getting the right words together to either ask or explain things, a pseudo member is one who joins just to cause trouble or annoy or blast can't find the word, sorry if I haven't made myself clear

Basically a troll, I think sd.
RRB :).

Status
Not open for further replies.