Pneumonia jab

jay hay-char

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Prompted by the 'flu jab thread elsewhere, but I don't want to divert the topic.

When I had my 'flu jab, a month or so ago, I was also offered the one-time pneumonia vaccination, which I'm sure you all know about. The nurse didn't try to force it on me and, in fact, suggested that I went away and thought about it, and maybe had one - should I want it - at my next review, due in the spring. I agreed to this, not least because I tend to adopt a "one at a time" approach to vaccinations, and I'd just had one (obviously:)).

The advantages seem clear, and there appear to be few adverse reactions but I'd be interested to hear of any experiences of the vaccination, good or bad, from anyone on here.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I got mine two years ago now, didn't hesitate at all, it was offered, I said go for it..........

didn't have any noticeable effects from it and that was with a flu jab at the same time.......

I don't really know what the chances are of me getting pneumonia at 31 and in reasonably good health, but it all counts/helps in my eyes.....:)

Reactions: 2 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm really anti the flu jab (and this thread really isn't the place to debate that, please folks!) but the pneumonia jab... I think the pros may well outweigh the cons.

It's for life, isn't it? One treatment, and your covered for ever! That's gotta be worth it, especially if you have any history of chest/lung issues.

Met a lovely old man in the park last spring. He'd had pneumonia. Ill all winter. It was his first time out with his dogs for months. Tottering round, weak as a kitten, translucent skin, after a hellish winter unable to breathe without pain.

I'll take a jab over that, any day.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Prompted by the 'flu jab thread elsewhere, but I don't want to divert the topic.

When I had my 'flu jab, a month or so ago, I was also offered the one-time pneumonia vaccination, which I'm sure you all know about. The nurse didn't try to force it on me and, in fact, suggested that I went away and thought about it, and maybe had one - should I want it - at my next review, due in the spring. I agreed to this, not least because I tend to adopt a "one at a time" approach to vaccinations, and I'd just had one (obviously:)).

The advantages seem clear, and there appear to be few adverse reactions but I'd be interested to hear of any experiences of the vaccination, good or bad, from anyone on here.

My elderly dad had the pneumonia jab, lasts 10 years, he is very old, but not diabetic :) and has the flu jab each year :)

Reactions: 4 people

poohtiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Getting old and diabetese
I had my pneumonia jab five years ago following an attack of pneumonia, nobody wants to go there believe me. Because I couldn't breathe properly one of my lungs collapsed, ended up on oxygen and a nebulizer. If you are offered it take it, I was told by my GP at the time that it was a once only jab, I had no after effects at all

poohtiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My elderly dad had the pneumonia jab, lasts 10 years, he is very old, but not diabetic :) and has the flu jab each year :)

Sorry to hear this RRB hope the toothpaste works, thinking of you

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Having had pneumonia myself - it knocked the
stuffing out of me .
Started from a upper respiratory chest infection
which I couldn't shake off despite 4 lots of antibiotics .
Ended up in hospital needing round the clock IV antibiotics
and slept the days away .

Can understand how it can and does claim lives ...
Took me over 10months to get over it "seriously"
It absolutely wiped me out .

Had my pneumonia shot in 2010 .
Never ever want it - ever again :eek::eek:

It can weaken
the strongest and fittest of persons .

Reactions: 3 people

julifriend

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
As an asthmatic I've had pleurisy, pneumonia and a collapsed lung over the years so I readily accepted the pneumonia jab when it was offered to me. No ill effects at the time to report either. If I ever need another jab I won't hesitate.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had the jab when I had my first flu jab a few years ago. They did it in the other arm. No side effects, nothing.

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
I had it in October with the flu jab at my last DN appointment. Not had pneumonia so far ...

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I've somehow had 2 pneumonia jabs within 10 years according to my online medical records??
Don't know how thats occurred?!
Still refuse flu though.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Had my pneumonia jab done several years ago, didn't have any side-effects that I recall. maybe a sore arm for a few days.

A

AnnieC

I had the pneumonia jab when I had my first flu jab years ago only side effect I had was that it was really painful to lift my arm for about a week or so ...heard this was quite usual especially with women for some reason My husband had his at the same time and did not have any problems from it. I really think it is worth having

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think sometimes people have a reaction to the solution that the inoculation is suspended in - preservatives, etc. - rather than the actual inoculation itself. But I've no idea why/whether it is worse for women, than men.

Unless it's a rare, exotic kind of woman flu? ;)

Lexa_x

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My mum nearly died from pneumonia, shes very ill regardless but its nasty (not diabetic) Ive not been offered this jab before but will have it if I am offered.

czj

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had it about 4 years ago. I think I was offered it because I'd had a couple of bouts of bronchitis.
No reaction at the time, and no bronchitis since. Glad I had it, having avoided flu jabs all my life.

poohtiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My mum nearly died from pneumonia, shes very ill regardless but its nasty (not diabetic) Ive not been offered this jab before but will have it if I am offered.[/QUOTE

You should be offered it and the flu vaccine as routine as a diabetic so give your doctor a nudge