1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Pneumonia jab

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by jay hay-char, Feb 6, 2015.

1. jay hay-char

jay hay-char Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Prompted by the 'flu jab thread elsewhere, but I don't want to divert the topic.

When I had my 'flu jab, a month or so ago, I was also offered the one-time pneumonia vaccination, which I'm sure you all know about. The nurse didn't try to force it on me and, in fact, suggested that I went away and thought about it, and maybe had one - should I want it - at my next review, due in the spring. I agreed to this, not least because I tend to adopt a "one at a time" approach to vaccinations, and I'd just had one (obviously:)).

The advantages seem clear, and there appear to be few adverse reactions but I'd be interested to hear of any experiences of the vaccination, good or bad, from anyone on here.

2. novorapidboi26

novorapidboi26 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I got mine two years ago now, didn't hesitate at all, it was offered, I said go for it..........

didn't have any noticeable effects from it and that was with a flu jab at the same time.......

I don't really know what the chances are of me getting pneumonia at 31 and in reasonably good health, but it all counts/helps in my eyes.....:)

• Like Like x 2
  3. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Moderator
    Staff Member

I'm really anti the flu jab (and this thread really isn't the place to debate that, please folks!) but the pneumonia jab... I think the pros may well outweigh the cons.

It's for life, isn't it? One treatment, and your covered for ever! That's gotta be worth it, especially if you have any history of chest/lung issues.

Met a lovely old man in the park last spring. He'd had pneumonia. Ill all winter. It was his first time out with his dogs for months. Tottering round, weak as a kitten, translucent skin, after a hellish winter unable to breathe without pain.

I'll take a jab over that, any day.

4. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

My elderly dad had the pneumonia jab, lasts 10 years, he is very old, but not diabetic :) and has the flu jab each year :)

• Like Like x 4
  5. poohtiggy

poohtiggy Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I had my pneumonia jab five years ago following an attack of pneumonia, nobody wants to go there believe me. Because I couldn't breathe properly one of my lungs collapsed, ended up on oxygen and a nebulizer. If you are offered it take it, I was told by my GP at the time that it was a once only jab, I had no after effects at all

6. poohtiggy

Sorry to hear this RRB hope the toothpaste works, thinking of you

7. anna29

anna29 Type 2 · Well-Known Member
    Retired Moderator

Having had pneumonia myself - it knocked the
    stuffing out of me .
    Started from a upper respiratory chest infection
    which I couldn't shake off despite 4 lots of antibiotics .
    Ended up in hospital needing round the clock IV antibiotics
    and slept the days away .

Can understand how it can and does claim lives ...
    Took me over 10months to get over it "seriously"
    It absolutely wiped me out .

Had my pneumonia shot in 2010 .
    Never ever want it - ever again :eek::eek:

It can weaken
    the strongest and fittest of persons .

• Like Like x 3
  8. julifriend

julifriend Type 2 · Well-Known Member

As an asthmatic I've had pleurisy, pneumonia and a collapsed lung over the years so I readily accepted the pneumonia jab when it was offered to me. No ill effects at the time to report either. If I ever need another jab I won't hesitate.

9. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Legend

I had the jab when I had my first flu jab a few years ago. They did it in the other arm. No side effects, nothing.

10. sanguine

sanguine Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I had it in October with the flu jab at my last DN appointment. Not had pneumonia so far ...

11. Hairycamel

Hairycamel Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Had mine in October too. Couldn't move my arm for days. Ow!

12. donnellysdogs

donnellysdogs Type 1 · Master

I've somehow had 2 pneumonia jabs within 10 years according to my online medical records??
    Don't know how thats occurred?!
    Still refuse flu though.

13. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

Had my pneumonia jab done several years ago, didn't have any side-effects that I recall. maybe a sore arm for a few days.

• Like Like x 2
  14. AnnieC

AnnieC · Guest

I had the pneumonia jab when I had my first flu jab years ago only side effect I had was that it was really painful to lift my arm for about a week or so ...heard this was quite usual especially with women for some reason My husband had his at the same time and did not have any problems from it. I really think it is worth having

15. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Moderator
    Staff Member

I think sometimes people have a reaction to the solution that the inoculation is suspended in - preservatives, etc. - rather than the actual inoculation itself. But I've no idea why/whether it is worse for women, than men.

Unless it's a rare, exotic kind of woman flu? ;)

16. Lexa_x

Lexa_x Type 2 · Well-Known Member

My mum nearly died from pneumonia, shes very ill regardless but its nasty (not diabetic) Ive not been offered this jab before but will have it if I am offered.

17. czj

czj Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I had it about 4 years ago. I think I was offered it because I'd had a couple of bouts of bronchitis.
    No reaction at the time, and no bronchitis since. Glad I had it, having avoided flu jabs all my life.

18. poohtiggy

• Like Like x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook