What are your hypo symptoms?

rachy0121

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
being diabetic!!
Just wondering the signs that everyone gets when they're low?? I get the standard shaking feeling weak dizzy. Hot flushes pounding heart rate. Eyesight and hearing also goes funny.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hunger feeling mainly and a head sweat if they are dropping fast, also feel the need to go for a pee......strange as it seems :rolleyes:

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
Just wondering the signs that everyone gets when they're low?? I get the standard shaking feeling weak dizzy. Hot flushes pounding heart rate. Eyesight and hearing also goes funny.
Thankfully I only get the shakes and grab the glucose before anything else goes haywire. Perhaps the hot flush and pounding heart is due to mild panic.

dan12321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
All hypos are different depending on the situation and what youre doing at the time, the worst are night time hypos or hypos when your being physically active. Ive had loads of different symptoms of a hypo over the years. Most of its due to your body releasing adrenaline, the rest is your brain not functioning properly due to lack of glucose

Reactions: 6 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
All hypos are different depending on the situation and what youre doing at the time, the worst are night time hypos or hypos when your being physically active. Ive had loads of different symptoms of a hypo over the years. Most of its due to your body releasing adrenaline, the rest is your brain not functioning properly due to lack of glucose

Quite true Dan, also the worst are the ones before the insulin has reached its peak (postprandial ) as bg is dropping fast.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Thinking I need to eat which I never do otherwise with levels 3.5-4.5.
Tiredness and yet racing thoughts ....3.0-3.5
Thumping heartbeat in my head and hurting headache if I go lower than 3.0.

Reactions: 2 people

Nicola M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If I'm reading a book or on the computer all the words on a page start to go blurry and I can't concentrate on them.
If I'm in a conversation with someone I get angry for no reason.
I get a weak feeling in my knees.
Finally, I get really hungry.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Early onset? Like walking into a room & forgetting why. Simple mental,tasks (like mesuriing a slab to cut.) becomes astrophysics..
During conversation. I can steer the subject round abstractly & become esoteric. I can either become bubbly & chatty or introverted. Never aggressive. Extreme hunger like a stoners munchies too...
There is a flickering white LED light cluster on the lower half of my field of vision while the eyes can ripple like shallow water.. At night this can be like a purple or green gossamer map of France??
During exercise/heavy work along with the above. My scalp & back sweats evenly & I start to shake & loose a little balance..

I go on "auto pilot" in these instances & treat first.. Same when it wakes me..

Last edited by a moderator:

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
don't always get symptoms but when i do...

between 3.5-4.0 bit of sweat along forehead and a feeling i am physically shaking but it is not visible to any body else
between 2.0 -3.0 halo effect in my eyes -- a big green crater in front of them so to speak and also irritation
below 2.0 really lucid thoughts about the world and life ( but can't ever recall them post hypo )

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
below 2.0 really lucid thoughts about the world and life ( but can't ever recall them post hypo )

Like the BIG conundrum that must must be solved.. Round in circles. Catch 22? Lol black holes, meaning of life paradoxes, event horizons... Deep stuff?? :confused:

kevinfitzgerald

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
All things that hurt (emotional and physical)
My symptoms have changed over the years. In my early days I would get a craving for sweet foods and get a tingling in my lips and this was a give away.

Now and some three decades later I tend to get a bitter taste in my mouth (foods taste bitter too), jerky arm and legs movements and the inability to focus on anything.

The symptom that frightens me though is the confusion. My thoughts are totally bizarre and I can't make decisions. I can go into a shop to get some milk and I can be in there for half an hour playing with curly whirly!

Racing thoughts and bizarre behaviour normally alert others to my low sugars.

I was once picked up by the police hugging a tree in Swiss Cottage (I was having a hypo honest!). I couldn't let go of it! Anyway they prised me off and got me home and made me a sweet tea and brought me a muffin! They also told me that they would call me half hour after leaving and if I didn't answer they were coming back. So if you ever get lost in North London hug a tree and wait. Your'll be alright.

Have to laugh eh!

KevFitz

Reactions: 26 people

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
Had to laugh at your last para :joyful:

iScream

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It depends how early I notice it, it always seems to happen during the night for me! But as for symptoms I've noticed in the past, sweating, lack of any self awareness, foggy, tingling. Basically feel like the world is closing in on me and I'm going to die! Haha

claiirebear

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I get exactly like that as if ur drunk

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Being told I'm not making any sense when talking (or even more than normal) if it's during night waking up in a sweat, if it's day time, shakes, getting angry really easy - shouted at my husband for moving something off the car seat the other week even as he was putting it back he had to do it NOW, didn't really matter but it did to me at the time lmao x

Juju82

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I start go feel the same as you, roughly when I get into the 4's

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
for me it feels like i am drunk not stoned tbh but i suppose people are different

A fair comment.. It's how I equate it due to my passive nature while low.. & the need to stove into anything carby.. Lol