Afrezza inhaled fast acting insulin

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So I've been reading tons of good reviews about this from people in the U.S. .... is there any news about whether/when it's coming to the UK? What an amazing substitute to NovoRapid it could be! Could we really go down to one injection a day?

By the way, if you're interested, just search #Afrezza on Twitter. People aren't just liking it but loving it ... some of the reports are astounding!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Just don't like the idea of a inhaled insulin, what are the long-term effects on the lungs and will it work as well as injections?

For those who have a needle phobia or are struggling with injections then it will be a welcome relief.

iHs

If it wasnt for the fact that I now have a pump, Afreeza would be ideal for me to use in places where doing an injection is a bit difficult like lunchtime walking around the shops and feeling like a bite to eat. Even if Afreeza just replaces 1 injection, it encourages those who hate injections, to comply. Afreeza is also meant to work very quickly and helps to prevent hypos so only time will tell.

Reactions: 2 people

mountainman

Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Afrezza - entirely new technology. 6,000 trial patients over 10 years - inhaled insulin for mealtime ( prandial use )

How Technospere Technology works:
Its an inert nano particle which bonds to the protein with a negative electric charge and has the unique ability to stabilize unstable particles like monomer insulin. When it hits the lining of the lung it totally separates from the protein when it loses its electric charge. It is so small it then passes completely through the lung lining and out of the body through the urine. Unlike most other products it is not a sugar and does not rely on dissolving which would tend to leave a build up on the lung. This one of the major reasons why there is no cancer risk with Technosphere. Afrezza is inhaled through a small device the size of a plastic whistle, disposable every two weeks.

Afrezza is inhaled at the start of the meal. If a person finds their BG is unusually high for example 90 minutes after a meal, another 4U dose of Afrezza can be inhaled. This precise control of BG can now free the diabetic up from worries about nerve damage, losing eyesight or limbs. There is no more WAITING to see if the injectable will land where you hoped it would -- too high or too low. Afrezza allows MUCH TIGHTER CONTROL of your BS

Afrezza has the potential to change your life as a diabetic entirely. This is the re-invention of insulin. The man behind this invention is Alfred Mann who invented the insulin pump. He now has invented this life changing medication. Look and learn

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 7 people

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sounds amazing. Seriously, the thought of being able to inhale insulin when out and about (I find it really socially unacceptable/awkward to inject in public) would be a real life changer. Here's hoping it's available in the UK very soon. I must admit that developments like this put me off getting a pump.

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Having watched the video, I really can't believe a bigger deal isn't being made of this.....

I can't find any info online about UK availability/trials etc...

Is it particularly expensive compared w/ injected bolus insulins such as NovoRapid etc.?

mountainman

Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Sounds amazing. Seriously, the thought of being able to inhale insulin when out and about (I find it really socially unacceptable/awkward to inject in public) would be a real life changer. Here's hoping it's available in the UK very soon. I must admit that developments like this put me off getting a pump.

The social enigma of syringes if one thing, agreed, but how Afrezza acts in a person's system in BY FAR the biggest part of this medication. Forget everything you know about insulin and start all over, because Afrezza is NOT LIKE ANYTHING ELSE ON THE MARKET. Can you imagine not having to do intense carb counting ?( although some would be smart ) . Can you imagine not having to concern your self with hypoglycemia ? Afrezza is REAL TIME INSULIN - acts as the pancreas does, no need to eat again in 3 hours after taking your injection. Little to no worries about going into a low, less to no weight gain as there is no need to eat again as with injectables since they are in your system for 5 hours, while Afrezza has done its work and is gone in 2 1/2 hours. With Afrezza if a person has a continuous glucose monitor and becomes aware they are going high, 4 U Afrezza can have it under control in a half hour.
There is someone named Sam Finta in the USA who was in the clinical trials and spoke towards having it approved, I highly recommend following him on Twitter- even if you don't do Twitter as I don't, you can read all about Afrezza - go to " Afrezzauser Twitter " , scroll down to see his amazing results. You may also go to "Afrezzauser.com " and see Sam's blog - that would tell you how dedicated he is to getting the word out there about Afrezza. His doctor is renowned in the world of diabetes , has published over 200 articles on the subject, and with Sam's check up this past week, even Dr. Bode was stunned and very excited about how Afrezza can work.
For Sam, he had insulin resistance, and after only one month on Afrezza he is reversing his insulin resistance, taking less injectable and even less Afrezza. Afrezza is, to quote what I am reading about it - " A GAME CHANGER " This is A PARADIGM SHIFT in how diabetes will be treated in the world. Hard to believe, I know, but believe it !!
UK WILL have Afrezza. Its development and regulatory status is PHASE III Clinical Trials in the UK. It is marketed by Sanofi out of Paris, France. Afrezza is currently produced in Danbury, Connecticut, USA in a state of the art facility. The company that invented Afrezza is called Mannkind. Mannkind has a WORLDWIDE Agreement with Sanofi to market Afrezza. Sanofi markets in 120 countries and they market Lantus, the injectable insulin, so they already have the contacts with endocrinologists and primary care physicians to market Afrezza.

On a side note - Lantus is losing its patent soon. Generics will take over. Sanofi will be marketing TOUJEO, the new injectable basal insulin that is slightly smoother than Lantus. It has just been approved in the USA and will go to market launch there very soon. I hear that the combination of TOUJEO and AFREZZA will give control over BG as never before . Remember, Afrezza is turning out to be the safest and most efficient BG controller for diabetes, but you will still need a once/day basal insulin. Use of Afrezza for mealtimes reduces the number of injections by about 1,200 per year. BUT MORE IMPORTANTLY, Afrezza levels BG, so that a person does not have the extreme highs and lows, and has a much stricter control of BG, therefore the damage to the body is minimized greatly , meaning better quality of life and longer life for the diabetic.

Reactions: 4 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I would just be worried of any side effects on the nose lining etc...

mountainman

Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Having watched the video, I really can't believe a bigger deal isn't being made of this.....

Is it particularly expensive compared w/ injected bolus insulins such as NovoRapid etc.?[/QUOTE

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If anyone is reading this thread and feeling skeptical seriously just take 2 minutes to search twitter for Afrezza. Absolutely incredible results!

There was me just thinking it would be nice to inhale rather inject but this product (even if it was an injection) is producing simply remarkable results....people's BG levels are flat-lining after meals, no hypos, incredibly tight control. The results are astonishing. Wow.

shaggy1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
A smart insulin. Now we're taking.

Is it expensive......and with all the cost cutting in the NHS what are the chances of us getting it?

mountainman

Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I would just be worried of any side effects on the nose lining etc...

Is it particularly expensive compared w/ injected bolus insulins such as NovoRapid etc.?

I wrote
I would just be worried of any side effects on the nose lining etc...[/QUOT

The nose has nothing to do with Afrezza. It is inhaled directly through the mouth into the lungs. Cost averages $325 US dollars/ month Sanofi's USA site has a coupon you can use for first Rx free and next several for only $30 each. REMEMBER THIS -- If you use Afrezza you are using 3/4 fewer syringes, alcohol swabs etc. = less cost, and you don't have to figure out what to do with the sharps.
http://www.mannkindcorp.com/

mountainman

Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
If anyone is reading this thread and feeling skeptical seriously just take 2 minutes to search twitter for Afrezza. Absolutely incredible results!

There was me just thinking it would be nice to inhale rather inject but this product (even if it was an injection) is producing simply remarkable results....people's BG levels are flat-lining after meals, no hypos, incredibly tight control. The results are astonishing. Wow.

YES. This is an entire change as to how diabetes will be treated from now on !! Please read what Sam's MD says about it on AFRESSAUSER.COM
Read Sam's blog. This is not "another opinion here " This is insulin as never before. Sanofi cannot advertise for 6 months, but someone made their own advertisement for Afrezza

dan12321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Looks pretty promising, was just browsing through random tweets with the hashtag afrezza, someone posted a reciept from the pharmacy https://twitter.com/PatOppa/status/576453812484980736 , thats 1200 units afrezza and 3000 units humalog, so taking into account there's no needles, and that most people are saying they need less units, theres not too much in it, NHS what you waiting for?

Last edited by a moderator:

mountainman

Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes

The pump is not used by Sam Finta in the USA. One injecton /day is manageable for most, all the rest is inhalation. AND, more importantly, do we really want the long acting injectable in our systems causing these lows and highs with on-going damage to nerves and eyes any more than we have to ?? I would think that it is safer to use as little basal dose as needed considering the side effects and damage that happens when using them.

I read that there are diabetics driving to the USA from Canada to go get Afrezza now. They don't want the damage done to their bodies any longer. They go to a clinic , get the Rx and spirometry test and come back the same day.

Only ones they say who can't use Afrezza are those with compromised lungs, such as COPD, asthma or lung disease - also those who smoke currently are not eligible for Afrezza, but they are welcome to take a spirometry test after 6 months of stopping smoking to see if they can use it.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
@mountainman, from what I can see and read of afrezza, you don't remove the need to carb count. It remains exactly as it did before, and equally "intensively".

Sam seems to be a type 2 rather than a type 1 diabetic.

Afrezza is not a smart insulin. By ingestion via the lungs into the blood directly it acts more quickly than subcutaneous injections (understandably).

In the meantime, Novo are currently market trialing a very fast acting insulin aspart that I assume is designed to compete with this.

In addition, the clinical trials were not without side effects. Across all the type 1 and 2 participants, 27% developed a cough (for many bad enough to cease use) and in the clinical trials lasting up to two years, 6% of users suffered a decline in forced exhaled volume of more than 15% whilst on average there was a decline in lung performance.

Yes it works, but at what cost? The numbers reporting side-effects was high compared with injectable insulin. In addition, Hypos were not eliminated and were encountered by 67% of type 2 patients.

Yes it is an interesting step on the insulin application road, but it is not a miracle solution.

Reactions: 13 people

mountainman

Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Looks pretty promising, was just browsing through random tweets with the hashtag afrezza, someone posted a reciept from the pharmacy https://twitter.com/PatOppa/status/576453812484980736 , thats 1200 units afrezza and 3000 units humalog, so taking into account there's no needles, and that most people are saying they need less units, theres not too much in it, NHS what you waiting for?

It's coming along. The way it looks , it could have approval by 2016 in UK. USA has done most of the work on this already.
A unit of Afrezza cannot be compared to a unit of Humalog. I wish I could explain it , but don't have that knowledge. There is a 4U and an 8U cartridge ( a 12U about to be approved also). NHS is working on it, phase 3 trials underway now.

mountainman

Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
@mountainman, from what I can see and read of afrezza, you don't remove the need to carb count. It remains exactly as it did before, and equally "intensively".

Afrezza is not a smart insulin. By ingestion via the lungs into the blood directly it acts more quickly than subcutaneous injections (understandably).

In the meantime, Novo are currently market trialing a very fast acting insulin aspart that I assume is designed to compete with this.

In addition, the clinical trials were not without side effects. Across all the type 1 and 2 participants, 27% developed a cough (for many bad enough to cease use) and in the clinical trials lasting up to two years, 6% of users suffered a decline in forced exhaled volume of more than 15% whilst on average there was a decline in lung performance.

Yes it works, but at what cost? The numbers reporting side-effects was high compared with injectable insulin. In addition, Hypos were not eliminated and were encountered by 67% of type 2 patients.

Alfred Mann was frustrated that the FDA set up the clinical trials so that patients were limited as to when they could use Afrezza , not taking it at the best time related to the meal. So far, there is no report of ANY COUGH in anyone taking it in the USA. Hypos are all but eliminated since they are not in the clinical trials now and can take Afrezza exactly WHEN THEY WANT. A CGM is a great tool and a high can be headed off at the pass in 30 minutes with Afrezza. No need to inject and wait to see where you land, always waiting with Orange Juice on hand.

Yes it is an interesting step on the insulin application road, but it is not a miracle solution.

dan12321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
even if it doesn't eliminate injecting before meals all the time, would be good to have a box of afrezza around just for eating out in public or just when its awkward or hard to inject privately

Reactions: 4 people