Job issue

Jessd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi
Have mentioned about this, new job I've got office job. This am had usual breakfast, hour layer numbers were 6 (ideal) had my.lunch at 12.30 celery/cottage cheese & 3 oatcakes, gave correct dose, just done a bm -21 this is really frustrating for me!!! Should I just take very low carb food in for.lumch/snack???
Have just tried my nurse but can't get hold of her
Would really appreciate some suggestions/advice
This job is 3 days a week, the days I'm not working here I am lambing so very busy

Jillyp83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes
I would try a low carb lunch tomorrow without oatcakes and see what happens, so frustrating isn't it. Oatcakes send my sugars wild :(

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
It sounds as if you need a different basal rates for office job. Try skipping lunch and see what happens.

Jessd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Normally I am ok with them
Just thinking is not because normally active then when I've got office job like a couch potato for 7 hours? Tricky to do basal rate testing at the moment to but could do it on the days I'm here I suppose? Really cheesed off as was hoping not to give too much insulin today & got tea sorted which is bacon & eggs so won't be giving anything for that

Jessd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
CarbsRok- thanks Yea that's a good idea. Am normally peckish by then but will have to skip lunch & see .....

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Normally I am ok with them
Just thinking is not because normally active then when I've got office job like a couch potato for 7 hours? Tricky to do basal rate testing at the moment to but could do it on the days I'm here I suppose? Really cheesed off as was hoping not to give too much insulin today & got tea sorted which is bacon & eggs so won't be giving anything for that
You will have to bolus for bacon and eggs as the protein will raise your blood sugars. If basal testing the only thing which is safe to eat is sugar free jelly. (make sure you use the carb free one)

Jessd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Will try tomorrow.
Just done a bm & 18.6 aaaaargh so p***ed off with this

Jessd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Already got it on- thanks
What are your thoughts on coffee with cream in, nor.ally I only drink water but have been having coffee with cream in, an worried that the cream is.going to put weight on (Elmlea simgle) think I know that really to be healthy just stick to water. But when I'm feeling like this would be really nice to have 1

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi
Have mentioned about this, new job I've got office job. This am had usual breakfast, hour layer numbers were 6 (ideal) had my.lunch at 12.30 celery/cottage cheese & 3 oatcakes, gave correct dose, just done a bm -21 this is really frustrating for me!!! Should I just take very low carb food in for.lumch/snack???
Have just tried my nurse but can't get hold of her
Would really appreciate some suggestions/advice
This job is 3 days a week, the days I'm not working here I am lambing so very busy

That's a high bg reading for such a low-carb meal, did you remember to bolus at lunch Jessd?

Other than that you should do some basal checks as CarbsRok has suggested.

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
FWIW I agree with above, you may need two basal day sets, one for the farm and a separate one for the quieter office job, I would find I would need at least 50% less when I'm very active (and not getting fat in the office :)). So I have a basal 1 for normal days and basal 2 for these active days.

Reactions: 2 people

Jessd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes I did bolus for lunch, that's why I'm confused as went so high. Now home & pleased to say BM is 5.7, haven't changed my set either. When I'm lambing I have TBR on 30% which is working well
What does FWIW mean?

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Yes I did bolus for lunch, that's why I'm confused as went so high. Now home & pleased to say BM is 5.7, haven't changed my set either. When I'm lambing I have TBR on 30% which is working well
What does FWIW mean?
I think you will find it's because you are not as active in the office.
Think about it ........ 30% less basal for on the farm normal ie not sitting on bum in office and sitting on bum not active equals more insulin required :)
It's very logical to the person looking from a distance but not to the person who is right on top of their problem.

Jessd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes I have thought about how 2 jobs are totally different ie 1 very active & the other not & how body deals with it. But obviously on normal rate when in office job, that's why I'm a bit confused as to why going so high?! Very frustrating

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Yes I have thought about how 2 jobs are totally different ie 1 very active & the other not & how body deals with it. But obviously on normal rate when in office job, that's why I'm a bit confused as to why going so high?! Very frustrating
But is sitting on bum all day normal? I bet when not on the farm or in the office you are out and about, shopping or doing other things wont mention housework as that a swear word :)

Jessd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Well yea good point
It is a bit of a shock, my fiancee says I go 100mph everywhere lol

Jessd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Had a day off today, pretty busy for couple hours this am - housework,sweeping up yard outside, had had breakfast (burgen bread-1 slice & peanut butter) did am bm an hour after all this & was 6.2. Went shopping & called into Costa to get a medium soya mocha, gave 2 units for this. Walked round town a bit after, did a bm 1 hour later - 25.7 what the heck? Went to give a bolus & pressed changed cartridge instead of bolus! So knackered til I got home an hour later, as soon as I came home injected 5 units, took dogs out, put new cannula in, have had omelette for lunch
Just struggling to get diabetes right lately, feeling rubbish & tetchy.
Sorry, this seems to be the only place I get a response. Tried DSN again today & no answer, haven't bothered leaving a message, as did a couple days ago & haven't heard anything

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
@Jessd, have you contacted your pump DSN/Consultant and asked for their help, often their input can be invaluable in these circumstances.