Job issue

Jessd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes, tried her today & Tuesday, left her a message, no reply & tries another nurse too whose number I have if o can't get hold of my main DSN, no reply there.
Numbers back to normal now,5.

Reactions: 2 people

Jessd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi. Yesterday had big.low early am, didn't need hypostop, when I got up my BM was 6.2, breakfast was 1 slice Burgen bread & peanut butter, gave correct bolus, mid morning had peanut 9 bar, hour later did a BM - 27 (big rebound from the low) when I left work just came home & crashed out for an hour! Numbers came down mid afternoon, had 4 slices cold beef for tea & that was it, 8pm BM - 6.
Woke up this morning BM- 11.3, bolused 1.5 units & went & walked dogs & swept the whole yard when I came in BM- 5, had same breakfast as yesterday. We had to go into town to get a few bits, about 11.30 am went.to Costas & had small 1 shot soya mocha. We were having lunch out, about 1pm did a BM just before we were going to have lunch- 27 (can't belive it was this high?!) Obviously Costa is a no no for coffee for me?! Changed set & bolused 7 units to cover lunch, had a ham.salad with 1 bit of bread. Got home at 3 did housework, BM- 15
Just done a BM now - 8 so is coming down (relief)
Am seriously thinking to low carb properly

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Hi. Yesterday had big.low early am, didn't need hypostop, when I got up my BM was 6.2, breakfast was 1 slice Burgen bread & peanut butter, gave correct bolus, mid morning had peanut 9 bar, hour later did a BM - 27 (big rebound from the low) when I left work just came home & crashed out for an hour! Numbers came down mid afternoon, had 4 slices cold beef for tea & that was it, 8pm BM - 6.
Woke up this morning BM- 11.3, bolused 1.5 units & went & walked dogs & swept the whole yard when I came in BM- 5, had same breakfast as yesterday. We had to go into town to get a few bits, about 11.30 am went.to Costas & had small 1 shot soya mocha. We were having lunch out, about 1pm did a BM just before we were going to have lunch- 27 (can't belive it was this high?!) Obviously Costa is a no no for coffee for me?! Changed set & bolused 7 units to cover lunch, had a ham.salad with 1 bit of bread. Got home at 3 did housework, BM- 15
Just done a BM now - 8 so is coming down (relief)
Am seriously thinking to low carb properly
It just sounds to me as if your basal is out, so you need to basal test and adjust basal to stop the highs.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Yes, tried her today & Tuesday, left her a message, no reply & tries another nurse too whose number I have if o can't get hold of my main DSN, no reply there.
Numbers back to normal now,5.

Hi I am not on a pump, it's great that you are back to a 5 and hopefully you will be able to get in touch with your DSN on Monday.

Best wishes RRB

Jessd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes I see what you are saying. But some days it's fine
Reckoning having a coffee out isn't helping either

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Did you bolus for the mocha coffee?

Jessd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes I did, seems strange that that would push my numbers so high. I know it sounds daft but always look forward to a coffee when we're out as that's a treat kind of thing for me if you see what I mean

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Yes I did, seems strange that that would push my numbers so high. I know it sounds daft but always look forward to a coffee when we're out as that's a treat kind of thing for me if you see what I mean
So how many carbs did you bolus for? Another point you didn't have the coffee on your office day so I still think you have a basal issue.
You need to skip breakfast and have a very late lunch and see what is going on. Basal testing is a must before you start altering anything else. Do not have an all protein meal the night before you test either as this will compromise the test.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Had a day off today, pretty busy for couple hours this am - housework,sweeping up yard outside, had had breakfast (burgen bread-1 slice & peanut butter) did am bm an hour after all this & was 6.2. Went shopping & called into Costa to get a medium soya mocha, gave 2 units for this. Walked round town a bit after, did a bm 1 hour later - 25.7 what the heck? Went to give a bolus & pressed changed cartridge instead of bolus! So knackered til I got home an hour later, as soon as I came home injected 5 units, took dogs out, put new cannula in, have had omelette for lunch
Just struggling to get diabetes right lately, feeling rubbish & tetchy.
Sorry, this seems to be the only place I get a response. Tried DSN again today & no answer, haven't bothered leaving a message, as did a couple days ago & haven't heard anything

What pump are you using?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
You need to basal test.

But also need to know what pump you are using... Only because of a problem I experienced with the Insight...

Jessd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Am on the Accu chek spirit pump. Bolused 2 units for the coffee, this is what I normally give for a mocha. Will try & do basal testing tomorrow morning

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Have you got a basal rate set up for days off and for working?

It may be something to consider? Just a thought.. However I do think basal testing is a priority initially.

Jessd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
No I haven't & know I should have, normally just use TBR (not really a good thing??)
Will have to sort that
Will see what BM is in the am & go from there. Thanks for replies- will let you know

Jessd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Tested before bed - 5.7, got up at 12.30am - 5.7, got up this morning 7am - 14.9
Really don't think I hypod on the night. Today would have been ideal to do basal rate testing as mot lambing

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It sounds like you've had that Costa coffee a lot before so it could be your bolus is correct, but I've had problems with Costa before and have mistakenly underestimated the carbs. I once had some kind of chilled coffee, which I assumed was like a cold latte and bolused accordingly, but after my blood sugar shot right up. I think some of their drinks (and other coffee places too) have hidden carbs. Eventually, I had the same drink again and experimented, and my final successful bolus was more than double what I'd started off with.

I see you've had some high sugars in the morning. Just to say that when I first went on my pump, I had a small increase of basal to cover the Dawn Phenomenon, but in the last few years those basals have needed to be increased quite a lot. I don't know if that's relevant to you, but thought I'd mention it.

Another thing that messes with my morning sugars are bad sites. I can put a new cannula in in the morning of one day, and my blood sugars will be ok that day, but then when I wake up the next morning, they're horribly high. Now when that happens to me, the first thing I suspect is a dodgy site.

I hope you get it sorted. It's tedious having to fiddle about with basals when things aren't working.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Tested before bed - 5.7, got up at 12.30am - 5.7, got up this morning 7am - 14.9
Really don't think I hypod on the night. Today would have been ideal to do basal rate testing as mot lambing

So what did you eat for your evening meal? If it was all protein then quite often your bloods would start to rise in the early hours without a temp basal running.
How many carbs are you blousing for the mocha?
As already stated I think you need to go right back to basics and do a complete set of basal testing. :)

Jessd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes having a drink out is about once a week, always have it with soya milk, may just not bother anymore I think.
My basal obviously needs looking at & sorting out.
8.45 this am bm- 11.5. Just done a bm now - 4.9 will have breakfast shortly.
Sights can be a bit of a problem,if I'm in any doubt I will change it. Really want to get this right as really starting to get frustrated with it & feeling rubbish with it being up & down so much

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Yes having a drink out is about once a week, always have it with soya milk, may just not bother anymore I think.
My basal obviously needs looking at & sorting out.
8.45 this am bm- 11.5. Just done a bm now - 4.9 will have breakfast shortly.
Sights can be a bit of a problem,if I'm in any doubt I will change it. Really want to get this right as really starting to get frustrated with it & feeling rubbish with it being up & down so much
Jess,
There is no need to give up anything due to having diabetes. You need to use your pump properly. IE basal test and then set your ratio's and carb count correctly, we can not help you if you wont answer the questions being asked :(

Reactions: 2 people

Jessd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes ok thanks
Sorry I appreciate all the help & advice.
Will basal test on Tuesday, as lambing tomorrow. Will have toast or porridge for breakfast now to hopefully keep things level

iHs

Hello Jessd

Some times, using a pump is not always easy as so many things can alter bg levels and just as you think everything is sorted and you can relax, you then find that eating food that you wouldnt normally eat, causes bg to change. Costa Alot coffee are places that I tend to avoid as I begrudge paying these places the extortionate amount of money that they want. I normally go in Joe Bloggs cafe or McD if I want a coffee but even then, unless I see the coffee being made with boiling water, I will do a bolus if its been made with milk.

Re.......basal rate testing........ideally try to eat something plain for eve meal, meaning not something that is loaded with carb or fat or protein. I tend to to eat meat or fish cooked d in a frying pan or done in a slow cooker and accompany it with some froz peas, carrots, broccoli, cauli, cabbage and some gravy. This doesnt work out to be that high in carb and is fairly filling. As long as you dont eat eve meal after 7pm, then you can startt testing bg levels about 5hrs later and basal rate test during the night at different times, to find out the hours when bg levels start to change and then changing the basal rates upwards or downwards the next day and test again to make sure that the changes youve made are correct. That's the official way but many pumpers leave things go for a few days before basal testing again as they would all start to look like death warmed up through lack of sleep :) Once youve got your night time basals sorted, you can then do yr morning basals and then the afternoon. Try eating 1 slice of toast for breakfast and leave porridge alone until youve find your way a bit m.

All the best