Poll regarding X-PERT High Fat/Low Carb diet

We call on Diabetes UK to recognise the LCHF diet alongside the HCLF diet.

• I have had good blood glucose control & improved health with LCHF

Votes: 62 87.3%
  • I have had good blood glucose control & improved health with the standard HCLF diet

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • I have had unsatisfactory results with LCHF

Votes: 7 9.9%
  • I have had unsatisfactory results with the standard HCLF diet

Votes: 38 53.5%

• Total voters

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's the insulin doing the work regardless of what diet you follow, without insulin we wouldn't be here.
not necessarily so with type 2's who may have been able to manage without insulin if they had been advised correctly in the past. That's why I specified 'and if type 2....'.I have read on this forum that some T2's who were on insulin were able to stop using it when they followed LCHF.

Reactions: 4 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
not necessarily so with type 2's who may have been able to manage without insulin if they had been advised correctly in the past. That's why I specified 'and if type 2....'.I have read on this forum that some T2's who were on insulin were able to stop using it when they followed LCHF.

But then some haven't despite dietary changes, but lets not derail the thread any longer and let the poll run its course.

Reactions: 2 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
...... but lets not derail the thread any longer and let the poll run its course.
OK

t10511_zpskyritw1o.gif

Reactions: 4 people

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
That's fine if your just wanting to get support for Dr Deakin's modified dietary advice, I thought your intentions were to make DUK change their stance on promoting a HCLF diet, perhaps by showing that people on this forum use other methods of dietary control (not just LCHF) would help to change hearts and minds at DUK.

So the other option I would have included is moderation, as Dr Deakin was promoting when she was talking at the Diabetes UK conference back in 2013..

If you read the quote in the OP you will see Trudi is not being pedantic about LCHF. The aim is to recognise it as an alternative approach to the one bog standard HCLF, & avoid the DUK condemnation of HF. There may be other alternatives, but that would complicate a (hopefully) simple poll.

Reactions: 5 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
If you read the quote in the OP you will see Trudi is not being pedantic about LCHF. The aim is to recognise it as an alternative approach to the one bog standard HCLF, & avoid the DUK condemnation of HF. There may be other alternatives, but that would complicate a (hopefully) simple poll.

No that's fine, hope it all goes well :)

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So do we not want a poll to reflect all the members of this forum, there's two options there but it leaves an important one out, which is why many people may not be able to vote, hence why I've pointed this out to Ian.

Think your wrong Noblehead, once you do that, then theres varying degrees of every thing, you would go on forever with multitudes of questions. The fact is the standard offer from the NHS is wrong for most people, therefore offering a direct opposite which will work even if people want to moderate later, then that is up to them. It's the education we need for new diabetics re Lower Carbs & Higher Fat not a mish mash.
Neil

Reactions: 9 people

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Depending on what your diet was before you changed it, the official dietary advice might be a vast improvement (i.e. if you ate massive amounts of take-out high fat/high carb food then switched to the official low fat high carb diet). And if you do manage to follow it to the letter with calorie restriction to lose weight, it can work to lower blood glucose levels, but may not be sustainable by most people.

However, for long-term health, low carb high fat is, in my opinion, better than the official dietary advice.

And, of course, this whole debate hinges on how LCHF is defined.

Reactions: 15 people

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Depending on what your diet was before you changed it, the official dietary advice might be a vast improvement (i.e. if you ate massive amounts of take-out high fat/high carb food then switched to the official low fat high carb diet). And if you do manage to follow it to the letter with calorie restriction to lose weight, it can work to lower blood glucose levels, but may not be sustainable by most people.

However, for long-term health, low carb high fat is, in my opinion, better than the official dietary advice.

And, of course, this whole debate hinges on how LCHF is defined.

Hi NoCarbs4me, I couldn't agree more, but that is just adding alternatives to the poll, what do you want to put a proviso, that if you were on a HFHC diet before, then you may want to vote for a different option like the current option, don't think so.
I would think at the moment it is defined by Trudi Deakins book!
Neil

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
And let's face it though... LCHF .. As I know is a sustainable lifestyle choice.

People that are calorie restricted constantly give up. The general public think they are buying low fat because it's healthy without realising the extra sugar etc.
the majority of persons that need to lose weight do not do it for medical reasons but for holidays, weddings etc.. So they then revert back to their old ways because they only "diet" for a short time for a reason.. And they can't sustain it.

LCHF is sustainable as Trudi mentions in her data...

Reactions: 7 people

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
How does Trudi define LCHF?

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @NoCrbs4Me
Yes it does because if you had, it would save me quoting & explaining to you, if you haven't then I will try and be as concise as possible and explain what she says. But I am surprised with all the links you read that you have not acquired this publication.
I think your been a little cheeky here, ;) co's it does not seem much different to what you preach, most of the time, but she does allow degrees, which is exactly what you pointed out earlier with regards to this poll.

Neil

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Hi @NoCrbs4Me
Yes it does because if you had, it would save me quoting & explaining to you, if you haven't then I will try and be as concise as possible and explain what she says. But I am surprised with all the links you read that you have not acquired this publication.
I think your been a little cheeky here, ;) co's it does not seem much different to what you preach, most of the time, but she does allow degrees, which is exactly what you pointed out earlier with regards to this poll.

Neil
Using some straight forward and simple logic, if I had Trudi's book I wouldn't be asking the question, unless you assume I'm being an ass. I really don't need another LCHF book. If she doesn't define what low carb is or what high fat is, then never mind my question.

Reactions: 2 people