Poll regarding X-PERT High Fat/Low Carb diet

We call on Diabetes UK to recognise the LCHF diet alongside the HCLF diet.

• I have had good blood glucose control & improved health with LCHF

Votes: 62 87.3%
  • I have had good blood glucose control & improved health with the standard HCLF diet

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • I have had unsatisfactory results with LCHF

Votes: 7 9.9%
  • I have had unsatisfactory results with the standard HCLF diet

Votes: 38 53.5%

• Total voters

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Using some straight forward and simple logic, if I had Trudi's book I wouldn't be asking the question, unless you assume I'm being an ass. I really don't need another LCHF book. If she doesn't define what low carb is or what high fat is, then never mind my question.

I was expecting a simple yes or No, as using logic on your part, you may have suspected that there was not a clear definition, as I was presuming you had read it and this was a rhetorical question on your part, but clearly not, a simple No I have not got the book, would have resulted in an abbreviated definition/reply as below from the book.

Title definition
What is a very Low Carb/High Fat Lifestyle (Abbreviated)

She covers in this section 4 areas,
1. High Carbohydrate and Low fat referenced by 260grams per day Carbs amounting to +/- 50% of daily calories of about 1400kcal.

2. Moderate Carbohydrate Diet 26 to 45% calories from Carbs equates to 130 to 225grams carbs per day

3. Low Carbohydrate Diet less than 130 carbs per day or less than 26% of total energy derived from Carbs. This is the amount of glucose required to maintain the Brain & Nervous system.

4. A Very Low Carb High Fat Life style, provide just 20 to 50 carbs per day or less than 10% of a 2000kcal per day diet. At this stage fat stores are broken down producing ketones for an energy source.

Neil

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
I was expecting a simple yes or No, as using logic on your part, you may have suspected that there was not a clear definition, as I was presuming you had read it and this was a rhetorical question on your part, but clearly not, a simple No I have not got the book, would have resulted in an abbreviated definition/reply as below from the book.

Title definition
What is a very Low Carb/High Fat Lifestyle (Abbreviated)

She covers in this section 4 areas,
1. High Carbohydrate and Low fat referenced by 260grams per day Carbs amounting to +/- 50% of daily calories about b1400kcal.

2. Moderate Carbohydrate Diet 26 to 45% calories from Carbs equates to 130 to 225grams carbs per day

3. Low Carbohydrate Diet less than 130 carbs per day or less than 26% of total energy derived from Carbs. This is the amount of glucose required to maintain the Brain & Nervous system.

4. A Very Low Carb High Fat Life style, provide just 20 to 50 carbs per day or less than 10% of a 2000kcal per day diet. At this stage fat stores are broken down producing ketones for an energy source.

Neil

Thanks.

Reactions: 2 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Dr. Trudi Deakin, founder of the X-PERT diabetes training course has brought out a modification to the course which encourages the LCHF approach as an alternative to the previously recommended emphasis on low fat & high starchy carb diet.

This poll calls on Diabetes UK to recognise the LCHF lifestyle as an alternative to the standard starch carb, low fat lifestyle currently recommended.

BUMP..

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Well I like the majority of members here I suspect cant cast a vote in your poll IanD as I neither eat a lchf diet or a hclf diet so its a bit pointless really when most people here just reduce the carbs in their diets without added fat so like a low carb no added fat or lcnaf.

Why are there only options for high carb or high fat when I suspect most dont eat high anything.

Its called everything in moderation

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Well I like the majority of members here I suspect cant cast a vote in your poll IanD as I neither eat a lchf diet or a hclf diet so its a bit pointless really when most people here just reduce the carbs in their diets and dont increase the fat.

Everything in moderation

Morning Sid, I was under the impression that many, especially type 2's, have reduced or lower carb and increased their fat, I read about it such a lot. I myself, am not low carb, but have reduced my carbs. So what's pointless :confused: who are the people ? and how many is most :wideyed: ?

Best wishes RRB

Reactions: 10 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Well I like the majority of members here I suspect cant cast a vote in your poll IanD as I neither eat a lchf diet or a hclf diet so its a bit pointless really when most people here just reduce the carbs in their diets and dont increase the fat.

Everything in moderation

Bit of a sweeping statement there. How many can't cast a vote for the reasons you give?

Reactions: 13 people

dannyw

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well I like the majority of members here I suspect cant cast a vote in your poll IanD as I neither eat a lchf diet or a hclf diet so its a bit pointless really when most people here just reduce the carbs in their diets without added fat so like a low carb no added fat or lcnaf.

Why are there only options for high carb or high fat when I suspect most dont eat high anything.

I didn't realise you'd already ran a poll ? Do you have a link ? Is that where you got your sweeping statement from ?

Reactions: 6 people

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Have you not adjusted your diet since diagnosis, i.e what from ?

'I have had unsatisfactory results with the standard HCLF diet' which is one of the questions.

As for your
"don't eat high anything" depends what you are comparing it to, I was on Low Fat compared to what I have now, people would call it High Fat.

Neil

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@IanD, I would have like to have seen more options available in the poll for those who don't LCHF or HCLF, there's many of us on the forum that sit somewhere in-between and eat both carbs and fat in moderation, the message would still be the same to Diabetes UK.
I agree there should be the option for those that do moderation I am sure there are plenty here who do it like that so why not that option on the poll

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I agree there should be the option for those that do moderation I am sure there are plenty who do it that way

I do moderation too. Maybe you could could start a thread about it? I do remember there were recent threads asking how many carbs members consume.

Best wishes RRB :)

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This poll calls on Diabetes UK to recognise the LCHF lifestyle as an alternative to the standard starch carb, low fat lifestyle currently recommended.

I think what Ian posted in his original post makes it clear what the thread/ poll is concerned with.

Not to start the great LCHF/HCLF/ moderation/scoffeverythinginsight debate off again :rolleyes:

Signy

Reactions: 17 people

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I agree there should be the option for those that do moderation I am sure there are plenty here who do it like that so why not that option on the poll
Hi, Have you looked at the title of the Poll?

We call on Diabetes UK to recognise the LCHF diet alongside the HCLF diet.

We all know that many people do 'moderation' in the Low Carb High Fat, but isn't Diabetes UK sometimes preaching 'moderation' in the High Carb Low Fat diet? I'm not sure what you would want to achieve by including questions for moderation.

If we can get them to
recognize, as the poll question suggests, then there would clearly be moderation between the two by many people but they would have the option of choosing, where they don't at the moment, because they are only offered HCLF
Neil

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
but lets not derail the thread any longer and let the poll run its course.

Some people aren't adhering to this though are they?

Reactions: 8 people

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Having re-done the X-pert course with Dr Deakin V recently I can confirm that LCHF is NOT "rammed down your throat" merely that the High Fat diet is an option to be considered. I believe that this stance is the one that should be followed by NHS/DUK et al : that this WoE is a viable option and should be considered, not that any one WoE should be pushed on anyone , to the exclusion of all others!

A

Avocado Sevenfold

I don't know why people expect the poll to include moderate carbing :confused:

The poll about low carbing and is in the low carb section of the forum.

Reactions: 12 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Go to the website in your iPad browser.... Then it will work. From the app there is an option, if you hold your finger down on an a comment, to choose web view.
Aaaaaah thank you... When I look at it on the app that I use I see nothing. This makes sense now!!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Trudi I know does not ram high fat down peoples throats... Her stance is foremost lowering carbs.....

Reactions: 2 people

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
.I have read on this forum that some T2's who were on insulin were able to stop using it when they followed LCHF.

I managed to wean myself off insulin following a reduction in carbs without increasing the fat in my diet at all, if anything I ate less fat as before diagnosis I was eating too much of everything :)

It worked so well for me that I was able to wean myself off the insulin which I had been taking for just under a year following diagnosis when my HbA1c was 12.6% and my bg level was 29. something.

After 3 months my HbA1c was in the 5%'s where it has stayed for 6 years now.

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
So that's you as "LowER carb, lower fat" then Sid!
Glad you got yourself "sorted out"

Reactions: 8 people