Best oil for cooking

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
I've seen around here people discussing Omegas 3 and 6.

I have recently ordered a deep fat fryer. Now I'm considering which oil to fill it with. Normally I use Olive oil, I have seen people suggest that cooking with it loses it's benefits. So I have some ground nut oil which I use to fry, but that is quite expensive.

So just wondering if anyone in the Know can direct me to the best oil to use.

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Lenny3, not sure there's an affordable option for deep frying, if your goal, like mine, is to only use oils appropriate for high heat that are limited in polyunsaturated fatty acids, here's the list, based on information found here... http://www.todaysdietitian.com/newarchives/021115p24.shtml

Almond
Avocado
Hazelnut
Palm/Red Palm
Palm Kernal
Tea Seed

Not sure about Olive oil, refined, because of the additional processing. Additionally, this type of oil is sometimes a mix of olive and non-olive oils in the US, though I don't know about Europe.

Not sure about Safflower or Sunflower oil either because I believe there are two types available now, regular and "high oleic". The later is preferable because it's lower in polyunsaturated fatty acids, but I don't know if both types are appropriate for high heat cooking. Perhaps this is stated on the label.

My understanding is that saturated and monounsaturated fatty acids are healthy, polyunsaturated fatty acids less healthy and should be minimized.

At this time, I use butter, sometimes bacon grease, for pan frying, and olive oil for sauteing.

Another option would be to use animal fat, perhaps. I don't know. An oil high in polyunsaturated fatty acids could be used, but in that case you'd probably want to minimize how often you deep fry foods.

Great question. I've been wondering about this too for some time now. If high oleic Safflower or Sunflower oils are high heat oils, that might be the oil to use. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

volorg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dessicated coconut
I just want to add my vote for coconut oil. Avoid the extremely expensive (and coconut flavoured) versions in the health stores and supermarkets and head to your local independent supermarket. It is widely used in the Asian community. I think ASDA also sell it but in the hair care section not the fats/oils section. it is a brilliant alternative to using beef fat or other saturated fat which some people find too heavy.

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I think ASDA also sell it but in the hair care section not the fats/oils section.
I'm amazed at the things we learn on here.
I use steamed coconut oil but I don't do deep fat frying. Good olive oil I use cold for dressings or in warmed tomato & olive salads.

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Up until last week, I thought coconut oil was high heat, but I can't find any and I've looked at 4 or 5 brands. All brands I've seen here in the US state "medium-high heat". Has the labeling changed from high heat to medium-high heat recently? :confused:

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
I don't think an oil that solidifies is good in a deep fat fryer. I have looked and am thinking maybe Rapeseed oil would be a good option?

mims57

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don't think an oil that solidifies is good in a deep fat fryer. I have looked and am thinking maybe Rapeseed oil would be a good option?
I always use rapeseed in fondue cooking because of it's high heat.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
Sorry to be a spoilsport but should a diabetic be deep fat frying whatever the oil!!?? :wideyed:
Yeah ... fat slows down the conversion to glucose.
If you're going to have a spud the best option is roasties or chips.

Reactions: 4 people

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
Well I had fun experimenting at the weekend, with my fryer. I bought rapeseed oil. I tried a few new pots wedged, they were nice. I tried some pork fat to make pork scratchings, didn't really work. I fried some mushrooms, onion and pepper to go with my grilled chicken to make a homemade special kebab, it was lovely. Gonna try some cauliflower in there this week. I was looking forward to celeriac chips but Tesco had some problem and weren't allowed to sell the celeriac in the warehouse. Not because of a problem with the veg, but some computer problem!!!!! Grrrrrrr!

Reactions: 2 people

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
The more solid it is the more stable it is at high heat - aka deep fat frying. The more stable the less rancid and therefore reusable and less damaging to your body.

Don't take my word for it though, do your own research - just don't guess what's best.

I was a big fan of rapeseed oil until I found out how high it's omega 6 content was and that I needed to balance my omega 3 to omega 6 ratio better.
Maybe I'll try another oil next time. But the solid oils would break the fryer. There is a warning in the leaflet that comes with it. This was only a little cheap one, just to see if I would use it. Also I don't have a lot of worktop space. Maybe one day I will upgrade to a better one that can handle coconut oil.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
Well I had fun experimenting at the weekend, with my fryer. I bought rapeseed oil. I tried a few new pots wedged, they were nice. I tried some pork fat to make pork scratchings, didn't really work. I fried some mushrooms, onion and pepper to go with my grilled chicken to make a homemade special kebab, it was lovely. Gonna try some cauliflower in there this week. I was looking forward to celeriac chips but Tesco had some problem and weren't allowed to sell the celeriac in the warehouse. Not because of a problem with the veg, but some computer problem!!!!! Grrrrrrr!
Deep fried cauliflower?

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
I saw it on a keto blog about a deep fat fryer. Thought I'd give it a go.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
I will. I'm also going to try butternut squash chips. Figure that will colour the oil, so wanted to try some other things first. Might see if Tesco are allowed to sell celeriac yet.

KateA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Meat and now sugar and carbs!!!
@Lenny3 have you considered mustard oil? I read that was a decent alternative to olive oil and more stable at high temperatures. Haven't tried it yet as I need to pop over to Edinburgh to visit some indian foodstores to purchase it.

Oven cooked celeriac chips are very good although I marinate them in an oil and curry spices mixture first.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
Sounds intriguing. Roasted cauliflower with garlic and lemon is amazing.
I can't imagine it holding together.