Job issue

Jessd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes going to have chicken tonight with veg or salad.
I was told by my pump nurse I could basal test 2 hours after eating as long as BM was in the right range (4-9)
I will start tonight then, will see how bm is later on tonight. Thanks ☺

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Yes going to have chicken tonight with veg or salad.
I was told by my pump nurse I could basal test 2 hours after eating as long as BM was in the right range (4-9)
I will start tonight then, will see how bm is later on tonight. Thanks ☺
Jess, your nurse is wrong about basal testing. You will have IOB from your bolus. Your Duration of insulin would be either 4 or 5 hours depending on what you are using.
Here's how to basal test http://diatribe.org/issues/26/thinking-like-a-pancreas

Reactions: 6 people

Jessd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Just had a look at this. That's given me alot more information on it

iHs

Best thing is to print the above guide out and have a good read......many have laughed as it tends to be riddles and doesnt give advice as to how to get bg levels ok before the basal testing is done..

With regards to yr dsns advice on basal testing, as long as no carb is eaten in the salad like salad cream or other stuff, then you will probably be ok to do some basal testing probably about 3hrs later. Some people find that protein in food doesnt do much to bg levels while others find that it does but most people find their way ok and can always adjust the basals a tiny bit without starvation.

Jessd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes have looked at it a few times already to have a read through,I will print it off

iHs

Hi

When making changes to your basal rates according to what yr bg levels are, look at the 2nd paragraph and the table in the above guide. J0ust remember to use 0.00 and not 0.0. On the Combo Spirit this would be 0.10 and not 0.1.

Jessd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes thanks. I looked through my basal as I was reading it & remembered when I make adjustments to remember it's 0.00
We are having a roast chicken for tea tonight, with cabbage & carrots

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
With regards to yr dsns advice on basal testing, as long as no carb is eaten in the salad like salad cream or other stuff, then you will probably be ok to do some basal testing probably about 3hrs later. Some people find that protein in food doesnt do much to bg levels while others find that it does but most people find their way ok and can always adjust the basals a tiny bit without starvation.
The trouble with this his is that protein lasts a long time and one assumes that Jess will bolus for it anyway. So if this is the case she will have IOB at the 3 hour mark so testing a complete and utter waste of time.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Tested before bed - 5.7, got up at 12.30am - 5.7, got up this morning 7am - 14.9
Really don't think I hypod on the night. Today would have been ideal to do basal rate testing as mot lambing

jesssd...

It may be that you are getting a large DP reaction...literally from the moment you get up.

Did you do the 7am reading straight away in bed when you woke or when you had got up? Mine can read 5.6 and if I haven't got mine fine tuned I would be triple figures within 20 mins of getting up.

See how mine jump... They literally double. This is on AM Shift...
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1427048075.369840.jpg

At weekends with lie in my levels climb slower with the largest increases being 4 hours later...
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1427048192.388190.jpg

I switch over fri nights and sunday nights..
But to get stability for different times I've tested 3,5,7 am's.. 4,6,8am's alternating nightly for weekdays and weekends which are so different for me.

I haven't got it perfect.. I still rose to 7 today.. I was set up on a totally flat rate...

ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1427048534.253491.jpg

It may be that you need to start back at basics to getting your morning basal rates right for getting up right.'think its back to basics. I'm probably a one off but it worked for me...

Jessd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi. Well had tea at 6, had chicken, cabbage & carrots (no gravy) bolused 1.5 units for it as at 5pm BM-6
Now 7.15 pm - BM- 13.7 just bolused 1.5 units to get it down

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Jessd

I've just had a look at some of your previous postings.. Going back to as far as November. In these postings you have reported a lot of high levels from mornings and also afternoons.

You really need to take basal testing seriously to resolve these issues.

Have you had a look at my posting above?

You haven't answered about when you test-whether it is immediately still in bed on wsking or a whille after you have got up. This makes a huge difference.

Are you comfortable about changing your basals? Something makes me think that if you aren't knowledgeable on basal testing then you may not be comfortable with changing your rates.

Jessd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi, sorry, I tested 5 minutes after getting out of bed.
Feel ok about changing basal rates,was hoping to start tonight but now having that high not possible

iHs

Hi. Well had tea at 6, had chicken, cabbage & carrots (no gravy) bolused 1.5 units for it as at 5pm BM-6
Now 7.15 pm - BM- 13.7 just bolused 1.5 units to get it down

What insulin to carb ratio did you use? Is it one that yr dsn worked out for you when she set up yr basal rates on pump? My insulin to carb ratio was initially set at 1u for 20g carb whereas on MDI it was 1u for 8g lol. I went as high as a kite and had words with my mate who said go back to using the MDI carb ratio and see how you go, so I did and then things were much better. Everyone is different though as there's a bit of trial and error with it all and you learn as you go along

Jessd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Donnellysdogs- just read your previous post again, yes see the difference in rise. Is that on yur computer or phone that log you've got going

Jessd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My insulin to carb ratio is 1 unit for every 10 grams of carbs.
This has been ok for me example - porridge, burgen bread
Other stuff I weigh & look in my nutritional book

iHs

My insulin to carb ratio is 1 unit for every 10 grams of carbs.
This has been ok for me example - porridge, burgen bread
Other stuff I weigh & look in my nutritional book

How much carb did you allow for yr meal then? I dont tend to count cabbage but count carrots. 15g carb is a lot for just carrots. What else did you eat with the chicken? Was it plain or breadcrumbs or did it have a sauce? Its not unusual for people to use different carb ratios on pumps at different times of the day. Not everyone uses the same one no matter what. At the moment, you need to get the bolus ok so that you dont need to correct 2hrs later and then slowly and surely, you'll be able to get yr basals sorted. When DD first started using her Combo, her consultant gave her some really good straight forward advice on getting bg levels ok.....

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Donnellysdogs- just read your previous post again, yes see the difference in rise. Is that on yur computer or phone that log you've got going

Its on my insight pump.... It has superb info on it... personally I just wonder if you need two rates 1) for lambing etc 2) for working.

Your highs seem to change according to what you are doing.. Ie work/relaxing are later towards lunch times and lambing etc earlier in morning....

I also have a PM shift rate set up too!! I don't even work the shifts-its hubby!!!

I know that I am different thinking to others, so I may be way off... But I don't think so when I've looked at this posting and previous ones....

Jessd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sorry for late reply. It was plain roast chicken, boiled carrots & cabbage, gave 1.5 as thought that would be enough to cover it, did a BM at about 8- 14, so changed site, gave 2 units, did another BM at 10.45 pm - 10.7, so coming down slowly
Donnellysdogs - I am due to upgrade to insight pump in June. Looking into it more, yes definately think two rates would be a good idea for me. Am lambing tomorrow, later start though - 10 am. Will see how day goes, then Tues,Wed & Fri office job

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Sorry for late reply. It was plain roast chicken, boiled carrots & cabbage, gave 1.5 as thought that would be enough to cover it, did a BM at about 8- 14, so changed site, gave 2 units, did another BM at 10.45 pm - 10.7, so coming down slowly
Donnellysdogs - I am due to upgrade to insight pump in June. Looking into it more, yes definately think two rates would be a good idea for me. Am lambing tomorrow, later start though - 10 am. Will see how day goes, then Tues,Wed & Fri office job

Jess
Have you got a bolus calculator on your current pump?

Only reason I ask is that you say "gave 1.5 as guessed that would cover it"

Even when lambing you will need to do a day when you actually test every hour... Otherwise you are never going to work out what goes on when lambing.

Honestly Jess I work outdoors and get filthy but I always manage my health and blood and basal as a priority. There is nothing in this world that would stop me putting my health as a priority first.

To be honest. I don't care that you are lambing tomorrow... You must basal test during this time. Orherwise we are just wasting our breadth and thoughts going through this...nothing should stop you testing as a priority. I don't care if you have to take a pack of baby wipes (non perfumed) and tester with you. There is nothing to stop you testing. You just need to be organised.

Jessd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ok thanks, will do today.
Remember my nurse saying whenever doing basal testing always do it on a quiet day?! But then like you say however will you know what is going on. Sorry for my ignorance on it