Job issue

Jessd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
No haven't got a bolus calculator on pump. I find cabbage doesn't affect my blood sugars but carrots do, if they are the only thing I have to count for never give more than 2 units & that's always been ok

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
It amazes me that nurses nowadays tell people to test on quiet days.
If I did it on a quite day I would be hypo all the time on a busy day!
I know we're all individuals and that makes sense for people that have more sedentary routines perhaps.... But days when you are active need (to me) to be tested more not less and that means basal testing.

It worked for me... As an individual thats all I can say. I am always active even if having a lie in I go out to my gardening all day.

Shame that you haven't got a bolus wizard...as it does enable to take on board insulin if you've had to do a correction and fine tuning to say 1.6 units or 1.9 for bolus's and corrections etc.

You have to find a way that will enable you to get these peaks eliminated. I personally only think that this can be done when doing your normal routines.. Not quiet days.

30yrs ago when diagnosed although I was hospitalised they still sent me out everyday to walk and go shopping etc to find out my dosages in normal day situations not a hospital bed routine. It to me us a shame that they seem to exclude this on basal testing and want people to do it on quiet days... My consultant 4.5 years ago never told me that.

As I have a lot of coffees during the day whilst gardening I also allow this in to my basal testing.. I do not exclude my coffees as it is my routine. Otherwise gardening I would end up dehydrated and altering muly doses to something that is not routine for me. I do lnow most people would not basal test with coffees still in the equation. So it is finding out what works for you...

Best wishes Jess...

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
No haven't got a bolus calculator on pump. I find cabbage doesn't affect my blood sugars but carrots do, if they are the only thing I have to count for never give more than 2 units & that's always been ok
Jess turn on the bolus wizard. Get out instruction manual and see how to do it.
You are facing a losing battle with no wizard as it will work out insulin needed for carbs and corrections.

Reactions: 2 people

Jessd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi. I have only got the Accu chek spirit combo pump, don't have the meter with it

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi. I have only got the Accu chek spirit combo pump, don't have the meter with it
It's called the "Bolus Advice Functions" on your pump. I don't think it needs CGM. I have an older model from Medtronic and it's the best function on it. You might have to read your manual!

iHs

Hi

There is a bg meter for the Spirit Combo pump that works by bluetooth and connects to the pump to deliver the insulin. It is identical to the Accuchek Expert meter. Not sure why you havent got the bg meter. If yr pump is new, then phone up Accuchek and ask them for the bg meter for the Combo. If yr pump is not new, the Expert meter will work as the bolus wizard so will calculate the insulin for you and then you can manually enter the bolus amount on the Spirit pump and then deliver it. The Combo bg meter is best though

Jessd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Have looked through manual, cannot find it. After testing today for basal rate (5 hours) will need to make adjustments. Going to test tomorrow too

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Have looked through manual, cannot find it. After testing today for basal rate (5 hours) will need to make adjustments. Going to test tomorrow too
Please read the advice by iHs in the above post regarding the meter.

Jessd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I know there is 1 available - £120, I'm due for an upgrade in June. The expert meter is that best to look online to get that?

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ah yes, I understand. You've got the pump but all the functionality is in the Bluetooth BG handset, and you haven't got that. Well, I think you will really enjoy your upgrade!

iHs

Sorry for late reply. It was plain roast chicken, boiled carrots & cabbage, gave 1.5 as thought that would be enough to cover it, did a BM at about 8- 14, so changed site, gave 2 units, did another BM at 10.45 pm - 10.7, so coming down slowly
Donnellysdogs - I am due to upgrade to insight pump in June. Looking into it more, yes definately think two rates would be a good idea for me. Am lambing tomorrow, later start though - 10 am. Will see how day goes, then Tues,Wed & Fri office job

@Jessd Until, youve been able to sort out yr basal rates correctly, what you can do is add 50% of yr correction dose to your bolus carb ratio dose and see how yr bg levels go doing that. You need to try to not give corrections if you can help it. If yr carb ratio is 1u to 10g and you eat 15g carb by adding 50% correction .....1u that makes the dose 2.5u. 15g/2.5u = 1u to 7g instead of 1u to 10g. Its all trial and error. Idealy you need to be about 6mmol before a main meal and allow a rise 2.5hrs later to be about 8.5mmol and then if yr basals are adjusted ok, you should fall back to 5-6mmol at the end of the bolus acting time.

Although infusion sets can play up, its not often. If bg is above 14mmol, I usually use my pen to deliver the dose just in case but that's me. Often its just the basal or bolus thats not right and not the set

iHs

Not sure what teststrip you are using at present but the Expert meter needs Aviva strips. There are bolus wizards available online to download as apps.......MySugr is one but there are a few others as well

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I'm sure that if you speak to the right person at Accuchek Careline and explained that you are getting an Insight and you would like to prepare for It that they would send you a meter free of charge. If not, contact your DSN and explain that you are wanting to get used to a meter with similaritys to the workings of the Insight. I'm 100% sure you can persuade Accuchek to give you an expert meter especially as the strips are the same as the Insight.

Jessd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi. Have just spoken to Accu chek - they said they would only send one out of my nurse rang/emailed to say that the NHS would fund it. Will try my nurse again today & see what she thinks

Jessd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Just spoke to my nurse, she has said that the Insight pump is good in a lot of ways but frustrating in others, has said to look at the Animas pump too. Asked her about the meter that goes with this pump, she said it's not worth getting as I'm getting my upgrade in June & wait til then as will have new pump & meter that goes with.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi. Have just spoken to Accu chek - they said they would only send one out of my nurse rang/emailed to say that the NHS would fund it. Will try my nurse again today & see what she thinks
That's awful service, I would have told them I was going to have the vibe pump instead of the insite as they not that helpful.

Jessd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I was surprised as last time I spoke to my nurse (January( she said the Insight would be better than the Animas pump for me??! Will have a look on Internet tonight. These are the 2 pumps I have the choice of upgrading too, the vibe was not mentioned. I have downloaded the mysugr logbook as lost my logbook diary.