What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yogurt and berries
Last night's chicken, kale, ginger and chilli soup, but with prawns added.
Two slices of warm, freshly cooked almond bread with butter.
Now what....?!

I keep meaning to make that almond bread...

Welcome @Craig.smith1972 denial is a phase most of us go through. Have a good browse of the forum. You'll find a whole section of threads by people who are newly diagnosed - you are not alone!

Tweetypie

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Spiders, control freaks, untidiness, ignorance.
B: Herb tea with lemon. Chia pudding with cream and raspberries.
L: Mackerel salad, baby avocado and cashew nuts with olive oil dressing
Dark chocolate
T: Veg stirfry, cauli rice, baked wild salmon

Hedonista

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I keep meaning to make that almond bread...

Welcome @Craig.smith1972 denial is a phase most of us go through. Have a good browse of the forum. You'll find a whole section of threads by people who are newly diagnosed - you are not alone!

The main thing is not eat it all as soon as it comes out of the oven!

Welcome Craig - I'm a relative newcomer and this thread has been so comforting and inspiring for me. Through the forum I've dicovered it's possible to still enjoy food and still indulge when I want to, but by eating different things. Just takes a while to get your head round it.

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Hi Phil, there could be a whole range of people on this thread with low carbing being a common denominator - T1s, T2s on various levels of medication, some on none at all.

I'm a T2 on no medication. My daily carbs are 50 g or less.

Tonight I had salmon with pesto sauce and some courgette, with berries and double cream.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Question folks:

I love the idea of courgette pasta (strips of courgette to look like tagliatelle, I think)

However, I am also incredibly lazy. So the idea of labouring with a veg spiraliser, and then lovingly steaming each delicate strand... plus the nighmare steamer cleanup. nope. not gonna happen.

Would a quick microwave zap do the the trick?

Lmm19

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Question folks:

I love the idea of courgette pasta (strips of courgette to look like tagliatelle, I think)

However, I am also incredibly lazy. So the idea of labouring with a veg spiraliser, and then lovingly steaming each delicate strand... plus the nighmare steamer cleanup. nope. not gonna happen.

I fry mine for about 90 seconds in Olive oil. Tastes yummy!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you!

Great avatar. I've got 2 of the little monsters. Gold and white (2 yrs) and black and white (6 months).

Reactions: 2 people

linda321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Breakfast: boiled egg plus mushrooms boiled in same pan
Lunch: salad (lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber, beetroot, with balsamic and olive oil dressing. Mascapone cheese wrapped in slices of salami. Berries plus mascapone cheese (low fat as I'm watching my weight)

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Question folks:

I would love a spiralizer, but don't have enough cupboard space. Do you have a redundant potato peeler? That would do for tagliatelle. I also got a julienne peeler from ebay for a couple of quid to make spaghetti.

This is a lovely recipe for spaghetti. It is raw, but I prefer to flash fry it in the wok with a bit of coconut oil to heat it up. @Pipp You might like to try this too. It is very summery.

http://ahouseinthehills.com/2013/09/02/zucchini-noodles-with-pesto-and-roasted-tomatoes/

If you are too lazy to slow roast tomatoes and make pesto, then sun dried tomatoes from a jar are good and Sacla now do a vegetarian recipe pesto sauce in a jar.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I would love a spiralizer, but don't have enough cupboard space. Do you have a redundant potato peeler? That would do for tagliatelle. I also got a julienne peeler from ebay for a couple of quid to make spaghetti.

This is a lovely recipe for spaghetti. It is raw, but I prefer to flash fry it in the wok with a bit of coconut oil to heat it up. @Pipp You might like to try this too. It is very summery.

http://ahouseinthehills.com/2013/09/02/zucchini-noodles-with-pesto-and-roasted-tomatoes/

If you are too lazy to slow roast tomatoes and make pesto, then sun dried tomatoes from a jar are good and Sacla now do a vegetarian recipe pesto sauce in a jar.
Thank you, will adapt to leave tomatoes out. Maybe use peppers instead.

Reactions: Hollynova

kateincornwall

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who lie , animal cruelty , boredom and pineapple !
Breakfast Nothing, in a rush and skipped it .
Lunch Avacado with a piece of edam cheese and coleslaw
Tea Salmon steak cooked with lemon and butter, with celeriac chips ( thanks for the tip, they were lovely ! )