Fruit good or bad for you

1andylock

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Do your own research and decide for yourself 1andylock. There is a massive change going on with regards dietary advice, fat is not the enemy we have been lead to believe but carbs are not so good for us. Google Richard Bernstein, Ancel Keys, the seven countries study etc. As I said, Trudi Deakins who educates NHS staff and the public is now advocating high fat, she eat 82% fat I believe. No, it does not involve lard sandwiches.

Ali
i have done my research and read all the data. i dont doubt it all i am just saying for me i dont like the taste of fat.
And call these diets new thinking if you wish.
BUT if you have been eating a healthy balanced diet then you would always have been eating these things.
It s not saying that now you can binge on fat, it is saying you can in moderation eat some of the things that you avoided before.
And this is what worries me. Its not High Fat its a little More selected fats than before.
I am sure you cant eat 82 percent fat in any form. But hey give it ago if you wish. I wont be.
Balance is the way for me.

1andylock

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes I like to think that my LCHF diet would be better described as LC(HF)^2. That's HF squared, meaning high fat and high fibre, because I do like to include quite a lot of low carb vegetables along with my higher fat intake.

Andy, it may just be a balanced diet to you, but to many people who have been scared by the constant warnings (over their entire lifetime) about fat in their diet, anything other than extreme low fat is considered abnormal. That's the point of emphasising the "HF" here, to make people realise that getting energy from dietary fats is not abnormal - and can actually help in the case of diabetes.
Now thats a good answer

Last edited by a moderator:

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
You have to increase your fat otherwise you will be starving all the time, also devoid of calories. If you only eat 30 grams of carbs a day you struggle to find satiety and cals elsewhere as carbs provide so many cals in normal quantities. As somebody who was fed the low fat bull for my entire life and has struggled with weight regardless of what I do, I was prepared to try anything. My BS levels are great but as always not an ounce of weight loss. I am actually attempting to up my cals as I find it hard to eat more than 1200 most days and it has been suggested my body may be in a permanent state of storing cals thinking there is a famine. Again, I will try anything I can to sort my problems out.

Ali

Reactions: 2 people

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Trouble is, won't these fats push cholesterol levels up? I know Olive oil is ok, as that's not a saturated fat, but aren't all the others saturated?
My cholesterol has gone down since being on this diet. However I tend to refer it to as low carb full fat as instead of eating low fat spreads and yoghurts etc I eat the full fat version - more filling so you don't eat so much, it's natural and it hasn't got things added, such as sugar, to enhance the flavour that they removed in taking out the fat.

1andylock

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You have to increase your fat otherwise you will be starving all the time, also devoid of calories. If you only eat 30 grams of carbs a day you struggle to find satiety and cals elsewhere as carbs provide so many cals in normal quantities. As somebody who was fed the low fat bull for my entire life and has struggled with weight regardless of what I do, I was prepared to try anything. My BS levels are great but as always not an ounce of weight loss. I am actually attempting to up my cals as I find it hard to eat more than 1200 most days and it has been suggested my body may be in a permanent state of storing cals thinking there is a famine. Again, I will try anything I can to sort my problems out.

Ali
you dont have to increase it with fat alone you can also up your fibre and protien.
You see we are all different and we all adopt what is best for us.
Look at my figures they tell me i am doing OK.
BUT what is good for me maybe not good for you.
But i do believe if we balance it all out reduce carbs and sugar then all will be fine.
We dont have to over think it.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
The title of the thread is Fruit good or bad for you so can we stop bickering about which diet is best and answer the question.

Reactions: 9 people

Chris1702

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Again my consultant has said no bananas (didn't like them anyway) no strawberries and no melon along with no oranges, grapes or apples but any berries including cherries (I buy a mixture put them in a turrine with sugar free jelly and have fresh cream with them) Along with fresh cream I can have full milk and as I do not drink tea of coffee I would have missed my milk as I cannot stand skimmed. Also he told me I can eat as much veg as I want of anything grown above ground and I have lost 7 lbs in two weeks.

I am of the opinion that I rule my diabetis and medicating must fit in with my busy life. As I only eat one meal a day finding the right time right balance has been difficult but now my BS is between 5 & 7 consistantly and I just get on with enjoying life - a very detailed spreadsheet helped to work out what, when and how much but my consultant was very supportive

pmasoft

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Bananas are one of the worst fruits for many diabetics as they are crammed full of carbs and sugar. The best advice I got on here was only eat fruit that ends in "berry" as they tend to be lower in carbs

I personally would definitely advocate self testing - I have to pay for my own strips (as many T2s do) because my GP won't prescribe them but without testing I'd never have been able to find out what I could and couldn't eat and get my blood sugar under control: If my Dr told me not to test I'd politely ignore them and test anyway!

Hi, I would modify that recommendation from "berry" to "erry" as Cherries also fall into fruit that have Xylotil rather than fructose as the sweetening element.

ronjo94

Bananas are one of the worst fruits for many diabetics as they are crammed full of carbs and sugar. The best advice I got on here was only eat fruit that ends in "berry" as they tend to be lower in carbs

I personally would definitely advocate self testing - I have to pay for my own strips (as many T2s do) because my GP won't prescribe them but without testing I'd never have been able to find out what I could and couldn't eat and get my blood sugar under control: If my Dr told me not to test I'd politely ignore them and test anyway!
Hi, just a comment on bananas. Get them as green as you can as the sugar is very low. The main benefit is that green bananas are a good source of potassium

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Nothing wrong with strawberries, they are very low when eaten in moderation.

Ali

poohtiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Getting old and diabetese
Love strawberries with loads of cream, love bananas too but they spike me really high though I do have a very small one now and then. Some people can tolerate what others can't...I can eat apples with only a slight rise so I eat them and lots of berries. The only way to know what suits you is to test before and after, if I go no higher than 7's I am happy

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Hi, just a comment on bananas. Get them as green as you can as the sugar is very low. The main benefit is that green bananas are a good source of potassium

However, a green banana is still full of carbohydrates.
As the banana ripens the carbohydrates turn to sugar, but when you eat a green banana the carbohydrates also turn to sugar inside you.

modesty007

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
What's the bad thing about to stay away from fruit, besides the pleasure they give. There's no nutrition (vitamins or minerals) found in fruit you can get from vegetables with much less sugar.

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
What's the bad thing about to stay away from fruit, besides the pleasure they give. There's no nutrition (vitamins or minerals) found in fruit you can get from vegetables with much less sugar.

What makes you think we have identified all the vitamins and minerals to be found in fruit? (And in any and all food?) and nothing beats fruit for vitamin C - at least for high levels.

And fruit is a magnificent source of fibre. There seems to be evidence that the sugar in fruit is slow releasing for some. And that is 'some' not in inverted commas! :)

Humans have been feeding themselves on fruit since...since.. since before we were human beings!

I need to say here too - this forum is on the internet, and the internet is global. Many countries are by the equator or closer to the equator than countries that mainly have berries galore - like Britain (berries are being deemed safer fruit for diabetics by diabetics and northern nutritionists). ie many people have been eating tropical and subtropical fruit for millennia. People live in very different food environments, and perhaps have greater or lesser tolerances to foods including fruits because of that.

The gut biome is all the rage now, and there is some evidence that we have internal flora - bacteria and microbes and so on - that are suited to our food environment - maybe this has some impact? That we do not entirely understand as yet. And genetic predispositions too.

But I do understand this is diabetes.uk :). And I am very grateful for it. (Cracking open a feijoa....)

Fat Radio Man

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Anything in moderation (except smoking ...) is fine. Life is too short to always abide by the straight and narrow. Live and let live. Smile and spread joy ...

Reactions: 5 people

alisonhe

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for your comments just to explain not on Meds and Don, t check readings the nurse, s and doctor I deal with are against us doing self checks for some reason

I would advise you to check your blood so get a meter, the doctors are not always right, if you don't check how can you know what is going on in your body?