Tooth Extraction And Being Diabetic

bellaboone

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello everyone! This is my first post here and it comes as a result of some panic.

I have 1.5 LADA. I have been told that I need a root canal procedure pretty quickly to save my tooth (#14, upper left, second molar in) but there is no way I can afford one. It's looking more and more every day like I have no other option than to have the tooth extracted, which I wouldn't have to pay for. I have always heard horror stories about that leading to massive infections and did some research. What I'm finding is that if diabetes is uncontrolled (A1C way over 7.0) then it becomes a concern. If it is well-controlled - as mine seems to be (A1C 6.4) - then it's not a huge problem and it should heal pretty quickly. Of course, these are things I'm reading on the internet, so there's always a chance they're inaccurate.

Has anyone here ever experienced a tooth extraction while diabetic, and if so, how terrible or painful was it to have done? Did you get infections from it? How did it affect your eating afterwards? How long did it take to heal? Were you able to get an artificial replacement tooth?

Anything you can tell me about this will help a great deal. I'm really trying to steel my nerves for when this has to happen. I'm seriously terrified of it.

Thank you,

Bella:)

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've had two wisdom teeth extracted while I've been diabetic. I have Type 1 diabetes. I had no problems at all. My only concern was making sure my blood sugar was ok before the dentist started.

I had an injection, then he took the tooth out. It was absolutely fine and no different from when I had a tooth extracted before I was diabetic. It healed very quickly, and I didn't have to do anything different than if I was non-diabetic.

(My diabetes is very well controlled)

MargaretR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello everyone! This is my first post here and it comes as a result of some panic.

I have 1.5 LADA. I have been told that I need a root canal procedure pretty quickly to save my tooth (#14, upper left, second molar in) but there is no way I can afford one. It's looking more and more every day like I have no other option than to have the tooth extracted, which I wouldn't have to pay for. I have always heard horror stories about that leading to massive infections and did some research. What I'm finding is that if diabetes is uncontrolled (A1C way over 7.0) then it becomes a concern. If it is well-controlled - as mine seems to be (A1C 6.4) - then it's not a huge problem and it should heal pretty quickly. Of course, these are things I'm reading on the internet, so there's always a chance they're inaccurate.

Has anyone here ever experienced a tooth extraction while diabetic, and if so, how terrible or painful was it to have done? Did you get infections from it? How did it affect your eating afterwards? How long did it take to heal? Were you able to get an artificial replacement tooth?

Anything you can tell me about this will help a great deal. I'm really trying to steel my nerves for when this has to happen. I'm seriously terrified of it.

Thank you,

I had an extraction just before Christmas . I had had a gum infection which refused to clear, even with antibiotics, probably because I have a compromised immune system from long term steroid use. I think my blood sugar levels were probably sky high (15+) at this point. I can't be sure as I hadn't been diagnosed and wasn't testing, so I'm guessing from the symptoms.

Anyway, the tooth came out, no problems, no pain, took a couple of minutes. I had no antibiotics after, and it healed very quickly. For me the gap was an easy fix as I have a partial denture at the top and the tooth extracted was next next to the denture, so the dentist just stuck an extra one on the denture. A work of art!
I immediately felt better, well enough to eat a full Christmas dinner 4 days later, and have had no further trouble.

You just need to make sure that your dentist has a full list of the medication you are taking.

Good luck, and I hope you are better soon.

Margaret

PS my Hb1C was 8.6 on diagnosis 3 weeks later. I'm steroid induced diabetes so the bs levels swing all over the place in response to the steroids. Mt extracted tooth was the first premolar, RHS, top.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi Bella and welcome to the forum.

I've had teeth removed since becoming diabetic and the healing time was just the same as it was pre-diabetes, as long as you follow your dentists pre-op advice you should be fine, if not then do let them know at the earliest opportunity.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi, I have had a lot of work done on my mouth and teeth and recently had 3 taken out and then the false denture fitted immediately, I had no problems at all and I'm type 1, for 26 years, healing time for me is good, but it depends on the individual, diabetic or not. Can't see that there would be any major problems or 'horror stories'. Good luck and I hope it all goes well.

RRB

Croc

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Sea filth!
When I had an extraction and before my BS were controlled I was given a course of antibiotics to take after to prevent any possible infection. Everything healed up with no problems.

bellaboone

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks everyone for your input. I've decided to go ahead and get the extraction. I'm pretty well-controlled, so the pain is my only concern now. Thanks!

Moosepig

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes, people who think they know everything!
Thanks everyone for your input. I've decided to go ahead and get the extraction. I'm pretty well-controlled, so the pain is my only concern now. Thanks!
i think you're doing absolutely the right thing. I had two double teeth removed weeks into being diagnosed with high bs. My only problem was that the gums took a very long time to heal and were very sore, but i gargled with salt water, had a very supportive dentist and am due to have some new teeth fitted very soon. Good luck

Moosepig

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes, people who think they know everything!
i think you're doing absolutely the right thing. I had two double teeth removed weeks into being diagnosed with high bs. My only problem was that the gums took a very long time to heal and were very sore, but i gargled with salt water, had a very supportive dentist and am due to have some new teeth fitted very soon. Good luck
just make sure you've got painkillers at home that you're allowed to take as a diabetic.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Yep teeth out at various times. Always ask dentist to give me the strongest antibiotics he can.

JayneB1977

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had a large back upper tooth removed in December with no problems, felt a little uncomfortable while the dentist was removing it but no pain and he inserted a special paste in to the hole after extraction to make sure of no infections. Healed lovely no problems at all. I was diagnosed type 2 in sept 2014 and had tooth out dec 2014

Willow253

Never had any trouble, had 4 out when I was 11 (to make room so I didn't need a brace). A wisdom tooth out when I was pregnant, and one other molar removed after a perfectly fine root canal was mucked about with (bya money grabbing dentist). As long as you keep the area as clean as you can and keep your sugars as controlled as possible. It was only the last molar removal where my diabetes was even mentioned.

LynneGal

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Thank you,

I've had all my teeth extracted and now wear dentures, some of the extractions healed nicely and no bother but others were a nightmare as the sockets got infected and the pain was unbearable but all in all better to get the tooth out as you forget about the pain in time, my diabetes is not controlled and if you do what the dentist says like rinse with salt water etc you will be fine x

nigelho

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Thank you,

It was NO different to NOT being diabetic. My dentist knows that I'm type 1.

jason134

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
diabetes at the moment
Had a tooth out in Jan for similar reason tooth needed root canal treatment and couldn't afford it so it came this was a month before diagnosis so I had uncontrolled bg. Everything was ok no complications :)

Catsymoo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Having diabetes
Hi. I understand your fears! I had two top wisdom teeth extracted last October and this was my first dentist visit! (I'm 25 and always been scared!) They weren't impacted, they had holes in from decay and I was in constant agony for months.

I took two days off work because I had to bear in mind that I wouldn't be eating much after the extraction and had to be careful with adjusting insulin. I didn't wanna take any risks and work can't say anything because diabetes, so if you wanna use that to your advantage, you can. :p

Anyway, the taste of the anaesthetic was worse than the tooth extraction itself. It took 5 minutes for both teeth, and it honestly feels more like a pushing sensation than pulling. I was TERRIFIED before the appointment. The only horrible part is hearing cracking sounds but it's not as bad as you think. My mouth tasted and smelled like death for a couple of days. Stick to soft foods like ice cream, soup and yoghurt. Don't make the mistake I did and think you're ready for a tuna sandwich on day 2. Adjust your medication accordingly and get plenty of rest.

I personally didn't bleed much and I didn't swell up at all, the anaesthetic will wear off after a few hours and you'll be pretty sore and probably won't wanna eat. Your gums will feel weird for a while and you'll probably think it will feel strange forever, but it won't.

I wish you luck and don't be afraid!

Ps: don't eat crisps or cereal for a while!

BhaviniMistry

Hi guys need some advice im newly type 1 diabetes and I have found my tooth have started to fall out and I am really scared I have better control now with my diabetes I need a few teeth removing would I need to go into hospital or would the dentist be able to do this for me?

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hospital waiting list are too long what if you need urgent teeth removing but your suger level may not be totally in control?
Have you seen your dentist as they will refer you the hospital if they cannot do it. My husband who is on Warfarin was due to have one out last week but the dentist decided at the last minute that he would not risk it and referred him to the hospital

BhaviniMistry

Do you know how long it takes? I am so scared I dont have the appointment till Tuesday it so had fo find nhs dentist I should have not left it like this. How long did it take to take him?