Lidl High Protein Low Carb Rolls

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Read about these elsewhere although I am sure you all know about them and I have just missed the thread on here!! 39p each and apparently 8.5g per 100g of carbs so about 10.5 per roll. Big chunky triangular beasties and half a one is filling with a plate of salad and around 5g of carbs. Seemed to work for me when bolused for appropriately.

Ali

Reactions: 4 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Are they pre-packed or fresh from the bakery section?

BooJewels

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
They're in the fresh bakery section. They're quite dark coloured, triangular in shape and coated with sesame seeds. They're a substantial chunk of bread.

I got some a couple of weeks ago and put them in the freezer to see how well they freeze and defrost. I need some sort of suitable food for picnic lunches on holiday coming up soon. I've resisted the temptation to try them so far as I don't want to slip back into the lazy convenience of having a sandwich for lunch - I don't want to get the taste again when I've done well for 9 weeks. On holiday I'll drop carbs from my breakfast and have something like these for lunch instead perhaps.

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
They're in the fresh bakery section. They're quite dark coloured, triangular in shape and coated with sesame seeds. They're a substantial chunk of bread.

I got some a couple of weeks ago and put them in the freezer to see how well they freeze and defrost. I need some sort of suitable food for picnic lunches on holiday coming up soon. I've resisted the temptation to try them so far as I don't want to slip back into the lazy convenience of having a sandwich for lunch - I don't want to get the taste again when I've done well for 9 weeks. On holiday I'll drop carbs from my breakfast and have something like these for lunch instead perhaps.
Sound good for those days when you really really want some bread....going to check these out for a treat now and then :D

BooJewels

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Sound good for those days when you really really want some bread....going to check these out for a treat now and then :D
Indeed. I've managed to adapt to a LCHF lifestyle pretty easily, it was an extension of my already sensible carb approach as a long term diabetic. But sorting out picnic lunches on holiday is troubling me more than anything. We've always done things a certain way for many years (bread - usually part-baked rolls - with loose cheese, pate, meat, tomatoes etc.) and I can't expect my husband to totally change with this as well, so I've been trying to find low carb alternatives for me that mean we can still do things largely the same, with modest tweaks. The part -baked rolls we were having, to save us having to find shops for fresh bread, are especially high carb. Must be necessary to make them work in that format.

If there was a Lidl nearby these would be a no brainer, but there isn't and we have a tiny freezer compartment where we stay. So I'm still thinking about it.

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
If you work on 6-12-12 for brekkie, lunch and dinner, then they are well within your 12 for lunch alongside a salad if you have half a one. Half of one of these is more than enough as very filling, add salad and your chosen protein source et voila, low carb lunch. Given the average slice of wholemeal bread is 16 grams of carbs plus.....

Ali

Reactions: 2 people

PerfectStorm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Half of one with some pate, some ham, gherkins, a bit of cheese, a bit of cucumber and couple of cherry tomatoes makes a very delicious ploughman style lunch.

They were also good stuffed with sausages and grilled tomatoes as a hangover cure! Although I admit I did put a little squidge of brown sauce on as well.

Has anyone tried freezing and defrosting them? Might buy a couple to leave at Mum's house for when I pop round and she offers me a sandwich for lunch

PerfectStorm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Indeed. I've managed to adapt to a LCHF lifestyle pretty easily, it was an extension of my already sensible carb approach as a long term diabetic. But sorting out picnic lunches on holiday is troubling me more than anything. We've always done things a certain way for many years (bread - usually part-baked rolls - with loose cheese, pate, meat, tomatoes etc.) and I can't expect my husband to totally change with this as well, so I've been trying to find low carb alternatives for me that mean we can still do things largely the same, with modest tweaks.

What about making some low carb crackers to have with your pate and cheese? I made some recently and they've kept really well in a Tupperware box - 4 weeks ago and still nice and crisp. They'd be great for taking on holiday for picnics

BooJewels

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Mine are currently in the freezer. I've not defrosted any yet, but I've habitually frozen all my bread for over 30 years and never had any yet that didn't survive the process, so I expect them to be fine.

What about making some low carb crackers to have with your pate and cheese? I made some recently and they've kept really well in a Tupperware box - 4 weeks ago and still nice and crisp. They'd be great for taking on holiday for picnics
I printed a chickpea flour and olive oil recipe on Friday for some cracker style biscuits to try for potential picnic lunches - I can probably add a whole host of flavourings to them, from garlic, seeds, cheese, herbs etc. - the recipe said that they keep well. I'm struggling a bit with some of the low carb recipes as many use a lot of ground almonds, which I'm fine with in some things in small quantities, but seemingly don't sit well with me as a major ingredient . I've had a couple of funny turns after trying scones and breads made with it. So I'm treading cautiously with new ingredients.

I thought I was okay with the chickpea flour and made some pancakes as pizza bases at the weekend - but got to the end of the bag, so opened another one (a different brand), so the batch was half and half. I went very funny after lunch and then my husband said he felt peculiar too and when I looked at the bag, the second one wasn't chickpeas, but split yellow lentils and chana dal flour, even thought it was called gram/besan - so they're clearly not all the same origin.

So I will try the crackers now I have a bag of the stuff I was previously okay with. Thanks for the tip. What was the base ingredient of your crackers?

BooJewels

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
@BooJewels it was ground almond, unfortunately
That's a shame. I'll try a small batch of these chickpea flour ones and see how I go with them.

The odd time we've had a picnic so far, I've had an Aldi cheese and onion Focaccia bun - they work out at 18g each, which is still too high really, but better than the 30g+ of the part baked rolls.

kesun

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you @Ali H ! My son wants so much to have a school packed lunch that looks like his friends' lunches, and these will be perfect.

Kate

Reactions: 6 people

BooJewels

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Has anyone tried freezing and defrosting them? Might buy a couple to leave at Mum's house for when I pop round and she offers me a sandwich for lunch
Took one out of the freezer last night to have with breakfast and can confirm that it has frozen and defrosted perfectly - not that I didn't expect it to.

I sliced it and had half, lightly toasted, with my scrambled egg on (I've got very adept at making a bread-shaped piece of egg, but making it triangular was a bit of a challenge) and whilst it was a bit of a fight to eat with a knife and fork, the bread is quite soft and fluffy in the centre, but does have a lot of seeds. I knew I'd eaten it, it's pretty substantial. My real reason for trying it today was to check how I react to it - not BG-wise especially, but sensitivity-wise.

With trying lots of new things lately, I'm finding that some new foods cause unwanted reactions. I was great with Burgen bread for about 5 slices, then on day 6 went completely wonky after having it. As these are also high in flax seed, I was expecting similar, but it's been okay so far - I seem to be okay with whole flax seeds, even if I chew them, but not if its milled.

On the plus side, my post-breakfast BG was 1.4 lower than it had been before and my lowest to date for about 3 years.

Reactions: 7 people

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just tried these rolls and have to say they are delicious. I cut them in half as they are quite substantial and put them in the freezer. They defrosted beautifully and are really nice. Half of one is plenty. They come in at 10 carbs per roll so half of one is only 5 carbs :D Very filling and today I tested my tolerance of them by having half of one with a known meal and tested after 2 hours. Delighted to say my bg only went up an extra number so instead of being 6.0 after the usual meal it came in at 7.1 which isn't so bad at all. A whole roll would only come in at 8.1 if that's the case which is still under top limit :D Makes the possibilities endless for sandwiches :D I have sooo missed being able to eat bread and these are so yummy and a real bread to munch on. Very tasty and filling :D

Reactions: 11 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I looked at these rolls last week and they do look a decent size, my only concern is they are out in the open and uncovered like all of Lidl's fresh baked products, why they can't cover them up or package them is beyond me.

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I looked at these rolls last week and they do look a decent size, my only concern is they are out in the open and uncovered like all of Lidl's fresh baked products, why they can't cover them up or package them is beyond me.
Agree but I am so desperate for something bread like I didn't care. They really are worth the risk :D

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I doubt said germs would survive the freezer....;)

True :)

We got some half-price meats in Aldi last week as it was coming up to the sell-by date, as we have a chest freezer in the garage we stocked up, got some nice cuts of beef and chicken drumsticks for the BBQ when the weather warms up.

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
True :)

We got some half-price meats in Aldi last week as it was coming up to the sell-by date, as we have a chest freezer in the garage we stocked up, got some nice cuts of beef and chicken drumsticks for the BBQ when the weather warms up.
To be honest I never shopped at Lidl before but saw many bargains I could find useful....I may well have to get another freezer cos mine is bursting at the seems right now with hubbys food....not much room left for mine so it may be a thought for the future to get another small chest freezer and take advantage of offers as you have :)

Reactions: 3 people