Medtronic MiniMed 640G System

-Artemis-

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Woop! So glad to hear how well Smartguard is working... I'm ten days away from getting mine....

Reactions: 6 people

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Have a look a the 64 day 640G series of Video diaries that John Pemberton did on life with the 640G. I think episode 5 and 6 give a pretty detailed but user friendly explanation on how the Smart Guard feature works. http://www.mm640g.blogspot.co.uk/2015/02/smart-guard-more-detail-explanation.html

All I will say is I have had my 640g for 7 weeks and Smart Guard rely does rock, yes I might have dipped below 4.0 once or twice but generally it just don't happen. You have to do something pretty silly i.e. over bolus for a meal or do a load of exercise that you haven't allowed for.

Its changed my whole perspective on getting the CGM's sensors with the older Veo I couldn't really see that it made enough of a difference to me to try and self fund. Yes they worked but all it did was turn the pump off at a set level, that might seem goo but its very basic as it dosent take into account what you BG is doing, and by that I mean its no good switching the pump off if you BG is dropping faster that a free falling sky diver its way too late. The 640 how ever does take this into account and depending you BG turns off before you get too the level you set, thus its allowing for the fact that you will go lower than the point at witch it turns off. Totally brilliant. Add to that it even turns the pump back on once you are rising and more than 1.1 above the limit you set it to turn off. I am no expert just totally amazed at how good it is, add to this all the alarms it can make if you want there is no way you don't know that you are about to jump off a cliff.

I am pretty luck as I also have good hypo awareness but this just helps you out.

Now even my wife says she cant see how I can go on without self funding because its literally changed everything.

If you have the time watch the Videos that John did, they explain much better than I can.
Thanks. That's really helpful. I have a Medtronic paradigm. I live in Turkey so we are a generation behind in pump terms but when the 640G with CGM shows up, I think I'll definitely go for it.

Spicey245

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Working full time, fairground rides or anything which makes too much adrenaline!
Still waiting for the call! I spoke to my DSN last week and she was going to email Medtronic again but I've not heard anything since. Urgh!! I am not getting impatient at all!! :arghh: ;)

-Artemis-

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Still waiting for the call! I spoke to my DSN last week and she was going to email Medtronic again but I've not heard anything since. Urgh!! I am not getting impatient at all!! :arghh: ;)

Aggghh... Was thinking about you but didn't want to ask... I am SO impatient so feel your pain...! ;-)

... On the upside not being first means you can learn from everyone else's trial & error... Every cloud n all... :) :D

Reactions: 2 people

Brava210

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not Moaning
Well battery ran out today !
So that was nearly 6 weeks, not too bad

Flowerpot

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
That's good going for the battery life @Brava210 , I'm getting between 9 and 10 days from each AA using CGM. I did ask Medtronic what battery life I should expect and was told about 2 weeks with CGM but I haven't got that far yet. Still very pleased with the 640g though :)

buckley8219

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm moving from the accu -chek combo to the 640G during the first week of August.

I've been informed I will be getting a free transmitter and five sensors bundled.

I've read a few contrasting reports regarding the sensors, I'll be self-funding, how long do these things last, is it possible to get them to last longer than the 6 days? This may be a deal breaker for me and I'll wait for the next iteration of the vibe if this is the case. 6 days out of a £52 sensor is shocking should be 14 days as standard.

If it's just a case of removing the transmitter, recharching and reattaching to old sensor to get another 12 days then I'm happy to move forward. Has anyone confirmed this? How are 640G users finding the sensors in general.

I've been using the freestyle libre and that has been great, never more than 0.5ml out from my blood reading. I'm hoping for the same from the enlite.

I've a friend who routinely gets 18-20 days out of his dexcomm sensors, with careful positioning and overtaping, which obviously really helps with the cost of sensors when you're self-funding.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
I'm moving from the accu -chek combo to the 640G during the first week of August.

I've been informed I will be getting a free transmitter and five sensors bundled.

I've read a few contrasting reports regarding the sensors, I'll be self-funding, how long do these things last, is it possible to get them to last longer than the 6 days? This may be a deal breaker for me and I'll wait for the next iteration of the vibe if this is the case. 6 days out of a £52 sensor is shocking should be 14 days as standard.

If it's just a case of removing the transmitter, recharching and reattaching to old sensor to get another 12 days then I'm happy to move forward. Has anyone confirmed this? How are 640G users finding the sensors in general.

I've been using the freestyle libre and that has been great, never more than 0.5ml out from my blood reading. I'm hoping for the same from the enlite.

I've a friend who routinely gets 18-20 days out of his dexcomm sensors, with careful positioning and overtaping, which obviously really helps with the cost of sensors when you're self-funding.
@buckley8219 I'm nt sure but think it was @tim2000s who wrote a comparison for the two systems it showed long term the Dex was a lot cheaper. Looks and sounds good with free sensor to start with but add it up over the 4 years and it's not good reading.

buckley8219

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@buckley8219 I'm nt sure but think it was @tim2000s who wrote a comparison for the two systems it showed long term the Dex was a lot cheaper. Looks and sounds good with free sensor to start with but add it up over the 4 years and it's not good reading.

Yes I remember seeing that.

It's a tricky one. I'm going to see if I can get a trail of both systems.

I've heard conflicting stories, had few guys on the enlites saying they've had no problems when they follow a few guidelines with insertions and are typically getting 14-16 days out of the sensors and a MARD of about 11%.

But from my research there do seem to be fair more negative reports on the enlite than the Dexcom.

I read that the transmitters of the enlites last for up to three years? Do you know if this is the case?

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
read that the transmitters of the enlites last for up to three years? Do you know if this is the case?
Sorry haven't heard a word about the transmitter. Dexcom transmitter lasted me just over 14 months so well pleased with that.

-Artemis-

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other

OMG @tim2000s I can't believe no-one's replied to this: I AM SO EXCITED BY THIS!!!! :woot::):D:woot::D:)

..... I am already *ridiculously* excited that I'm getting my pump on Tuesday... and was just a *teeny* bit disappointed that to look at what the CGM is doing I have to look at the actual pump -- cos I was planning to bury the pump in my undergarments and don't want to necessarily be rummaging around in 'em every time I want to see my blood sugars ;);)

{when I say teeny bit, I really do mean teeny bit -- overall I am just fantastically grateful to be having both....}

-- anyway -- so this is just more awesomeness on top of existing awesomness....!! I see it's starting out in the US in Autumn -- and it doesn't give any indication when it might be available here -- but it does say "other countries soon" -- so all in all this is bloody marvellous! Made my avo; thank you!! :):):)

Flowerpot

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@buckley8219 , my last Medtronic transmitter with Enlite sensors lasted for 3.5 years of constant CGM use but the Medtronic website gives a lifespan of 12 months.

yingtong

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who.kock diabetes
Good luck Artemis,I'm sure you will be fine.I'm starting to get to grips with mine,saying that,it still chucks a curved ball at me every now and again,but the CGM is a tremendous help.

buckley8219

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I did get CGM with mine due to the fact I don't have hypo awareness. The smartguard works well as it suspends all insulin delivery if it detects that your BG is dropping rapidly. However, if you do get the CGM ensure to calibrate the sensor at least twice a day otherwise it will go haywire and stop working properly. Hope this helped.

Hi,

Did you just get a pack of free sensors?

Or have you managed to secure cgm funding long term?