Medtronic MiniMed 640G System

buckley8219

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @tim2000s my sensors last 6 days, I've tried to get them to last longer by saying it's a new sensor but it doesn't seem to work. Overall the sensors are great especially if you're like me and don't have hypo awareness. I had a few problems with the sensors as some were only lasting 2 days and then telling me to change sensors. However, I was assured that it must have just been a bad batch. But otherwise they're great.

Thanks for the info.

I've read that you have to remove the transmitter, stick it on charge for 5-10 minutes than reattach?

Did these steps not work? Shame on Medtronic if they've hard coded this into the 640G and the sensors really are limited to 6 days.

buckley8219

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the info.

I've read that you have to remove the transmitter, stick it on charge for 5-10 minutes than reattach?

Did these steps not work? Shame on Medtronic if they've hard coded this into the 640G and the sensors really are limited to 6 days.

For me, some sensors only lasting two days (which I'm hearing everywhere) , the phone call to Medtronic explaining what happened and jumping through hoops for a new sensor, the waiting for the replacement sensor, going to the post office to return the failed sensors would be a huge pain if it was happening regularly.

There is a girl in Sweden who is on the system and has yet to make any of her first few sensors last past day three, she's getting change sensors errors regularly.

The six days in total also beggars belief, if Dexcomm and Abbot can produce sensors that last 14 days and in some cases for the Dexcomm a full month then what the hell are Medtronic playing at. The sensor is also more expensive then both of those options.

Seems really odd to that people are getting so excited about the 640G with the keystone of the system that underpins the most useful features i.e the sensor, is getting such bad feedback.

ConsultingTimeLordElf

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @buckley8219 I tried those steps and they unfortunately did not work. However, after changing the sensor I have had no further problems. As I was told it must have been a faulty batch otherwise they do last 6 days.

-Artemis-

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hi @buckley8219 -- they definitely are extendable, I've seen people posting on facebook forums about it (T1-CGM information if you're on there). I think there's just not a lot out there as they're new... Plus I do think it's perhaps fiddlier than Dexcom, but it's def possible... Also, my rep told me today that if a sensor ever doesn't last 6 days then it will be replaced no probs... I can't report anymore than that at the mo... But will share once I've some real user info to post :)

-Artemis-

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hi @-Artemis- pump start day is very exciting I had mine 4 weeks ago (wow that went quick). I was also getting the CGM but they gave me it a few days later when I went back for a canula change. Just a bit of advice so you're not disappointed if you don't get the sensors today. They just want you to get used to the pump first. Hope this helps.

Ah bless you, thank you!! I didn't get my CGM today but kinda expected that as I knew I was doing a weeks saline start-up; I asked and I will definitely get them at my 'go live' appointment next Tuesday... Sooooo exciting! :D

Reactions: 2 people

irrationalJohn

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
I'm getting the 640g and new Enlites TODAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY (ahem, sorry, little excited) so can try and report back on this if that helps...? Although, never had a pump or Cgm before so might not be the best person to be fiddling with them... But I'm happy to try :)
Thanks, Artemis.

Yes, it would be nice get some more definite information on whether or not the sensor can be restarted with the 640G.

I would also be interested if you could report back on your training & how well it worked for you?

As I said earlier, Enlites tend to be finicky. The kind of results you get, in my opinion, tend to have a lot to do with how "well" you can pick an insertion spot and overtape that sucker so it doesn't get disturbed after insertion. I'm curious how well this may have been covered by your trainer.

In particular, I wonder what online training videos they might have pointed you towards. So far the best basic insertion vids I think I have seen were the ones in the Medtronic Australasia YouTube channel. (I personally think that the vids from Medtronic US are ... less special.)

Medtronic ANZ has a set of 7 short videos with the title "Get Right With Enlite". Here are the links to them. The first two don't really say anything different. But the middle three may add some details I'm not sure are always mentioned in the training.
This John Pemberton video blog entry may also be worth watching.

irrationalJohn

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Just wanted to point out that it takes me more like 20 to 25 minutes to recharge a completely depleted MiniLink transmitter. My guess is that it would also take about that long for the new Guardian 2 Link transmitter. (Yet another question for those people currently using the 640G ... ;)

ConsultingTimeLordElf

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just wanted to point out that it takes me more like 20 to 25 minutes to recharge a completely depleted MiniLink transmitter. My guess is that it would also take about that long for the new Guardian 2 Link transmitter. (Yet another question for those people currently using the 640G ... ;)

It takes a bit longer than 25 minutes but not much longer. However you need to recharge it approx every 2 weeks so it won't run out on ou while you have it on. Hope this helps.

Spicey245

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Working full time, fairground rides or anything which makes too much adrenaline!
Been given a day for training!! 13th July! No idea if I will actually get my pump on this date or not though! Excited! ;-)

Reactions: 12 people

Brava210

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not Moaning
Been given a day for training!! 13th July! No idea if I will actually get my pump on this date or not though! Excited! ;-)

You should get the pump else the training is pointless

yingtong

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who.kock diabetes
Great news Sricey245,I've had mine 6 weeks,still making minor adjustments.Good Luck.

buckley8219

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Placed my order for the 640G, pump start on 4th August.

Well let you all know my thoughts.

Reactions: 5 people

Spicey245

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Working full time, fairground rides or anything which makes too much adrenaline!
Thanks everybody, 11 days to go! I'm quite apprehensive as you can imagine as I've only ever used MDI (23 years!) so relying on a machine to keep me alive is a bit terrifying to me! Lol! I am very excited though and am really hoping to get my bloods down. :)

Spicey245

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Three days to go! Training on 640G on Monday!! Excited and terrified! Lol! ;-)

Reactions: 7 people