1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Medtronic MiniMed 640G System

Discussion in 'Insulin Pump Forum' started by Spicey245, Apr 21, 2015.

1. -Artemis-

-Artemis- Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Woop! So glad to hear how well Smartguard is working... I'm ten days away from getting mine....

• Like Like x 6
  2. RuthW

RuthW Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Thanks. That's really helpful. I have a Medtronic paradigm. I live in Turkey so we are a generation behind in pump terms but when the 640G with CGM shows up, I think I'll definitely go for it.

3. Spicey245

Spicey245 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Still waiting for the call! I spoke to my DSN last week and she was going to email Medtronic again but I've not heard anything since. Urgh!! I am not getting impatient at all!! :arghh: ;)

4. -Artemis-

Aggghh... Was thinking about you but didn't want to ask... I am SO impatient so feel your pain...! ;-)

... On the upside not being first means you can learn from everyone else's trial & error... Every cloud n all... :) :D

• Like Like x 2
  5. tim2000s

tim2000s Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

6. Brava210

Brava210 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Well battery ran out today !
    So that was nearly 6 weeks, not too bad

• Like Like x 2
  7. Flowerpot

Flowerpot Type 1 · Well-Known Member

That's good going for the battery life @Brava210 , I'm getting between 9 and 10 days from each AA using CGM. I did ask Medtronic what battery life I should expect and was told about 2 weeks with CGM but I haven't got that far yet. Still very pleased with the 640g though :)

• Like Like x 2
  8. buckley8219

buckley8219 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

What a bloody good idea!

9. buckley8219

I'm moving from the accu -chek combo to the 640G during the first week of August.

I've been informed I will be getting a free transmitter and five sensors bundled.

I've read a few contrasting reports regarding the sensors, I'll be self-funding, how long do these things last, is it possible to get them to last longer than the 6 days? This may be a deal breaker for me and I'll wait for the next iteration of the vibe if this is the case. 6 days out of a £52 sensor is shocking should be 14 days as standard.

If it's just a case of removing the transmitter, recharching and reattaching to old sensor to get another 12 days then I'm happy to move forward. Has anyone confirmed this? How are 640G users finding the sensors in general.

I've been using the freestyle libre and that has been great, never more than 0.5ml out from my blood reading. I'm hoping for the same from the enlite.

I've a friend who routinely gets 18-20 days out of his dexcomm sensors, with careful positioning and overtaping, which obviously really helps with the cost of sensors when you're self-funding.

10. CarbsRok

CarbsRok Type 1 · Well-Known Member

@buckley8219 I'm nt sure but think it was @tim2000s who wrote a comparison for the two systems it showed long term the Dex was a lot cheaper. Looks and sounds good with free sensor to start with but add it up over the 4 years and it's not good reading.

11. buckley8219

Yes I remember seeing that.

It's a tricky one. I'm going to see if I can get a trail of both systems.

I've heard conflicting stories, had few guys on the enlites saying they've had no problems when they follow a few guidelines with insertions and are typically getting 14-16 days out of the sensors and a MARD of about 11%.

But from my research there do seem to be fair more negative reports on the enlite than the Dexcom.

I read that the transmitters of the enlites last for up to three years? Do you know if this is the case?

12. CarbsRok

CarbsRok Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Sorry haven't heard a word about the transmitter. Dexcom transmitter lasted me just over 14 months so well pleased with that.

13. ConsultingTimeLordElf

ConsultingTimeLordElf Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I'm on the enlite sensors and I was told the transmitter lasts about a year with continuous use.

14. -Artemis-

OMG @tim2000s I can't believe no-one's replied to this: I AM SO EXCITED BY THIS!!!! :woot::):D:woot::D:)

..... I am already *ridiculously* excited that I'm getting my pump on Tuesday... and was just a *teeny* bit disappointed that to look at what the CGM is doing I have to look at the actual pump -- cos I was planning to bury the pump in my undergarments and don't want to necessarily be rummaging around in 'em every time I want to see my blood sugars ;);)

{when I say teeny bit, I really do mean teeny bit -- overall I am just fantastically grateful to be having both....}

-- anyway -- so this is just more awesomeness on top of existing awesomness....!! I see it's starting out in the US in Autumn -- and it doesn't give any indication when it might be available here -- but it does say "other countries soon" -- so all in all this is bloody marvellous! Made my avo; thank you!! :):):)

15. tim2000s

tim2000s Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

• Like Like x 2
  16. Flowerpot

Flowerpot Type 1 · Well-Known Member

@buckley8219 , my last Medtronic transmitter with Enlite sensors lasted for 3.5 years of constant CGM use but the Medtronic website gives a lifespan of 12 months.

• Like Like x 2
  17. -Artemis-

• Like Like x 2
  18. yingtong

yingtong Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Good luck Artemis,I'm sure you will be fine.I'm starting to get to grips with mine,saying that,it still chucks a curved ball at me every now and again,but the CGM is a tremendous help.

• Like Like x 2
  19. buckley8219

Hi,

Did you just get a pack of free sensors?

Or have you managed to secure cgm funding long term?

20. ConsultingTimeLordElf

ConsultingTimeLordElf Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi @buckley8219 I managed to get long term funding because I don't have any hypo or hyper awareness. I've had a few close calls so.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook