Constipation help

N

nicbarnett

Hi all, bit embarrassing but I suffer from terrible Constipation. I have been prescribed movacol by the Dr but it doesn't seem to work. At the.moment I am following a weight loss diet from the diabetic nurses of 3 meals replacement shakes a day, a lunch.of salad.and supper of veg. No.meat,dairy,pasta,pots etc. The first week was.great but this week my stomach is swollen, tender and full of wind, I have been on movacol for a year or so but things have got so much worse since I've been on this diet. I am thinking of taking a few days off work.and purchasing a colon.cleanse to sort me out.. Any tips to help I would appreciate x

brettsza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you are on nd then this is bound to happen, only option is to up the amount of water you drink.

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi all, bit embarrassing but I suffer from terrible Constipation. I have been prescribed movacol by the Dr but it doesn't seem to work. At the.moment I am following a weight loss diet from the diabetic nurses of 3 meals replacement shakes a day, a lunch.of salad.and supper of veg. No.meat,dairy,pasta,pots etc. The first week was.great but this week my stomach is swollen, tender and full of wind, I have been on movacol for a year or so but things have got so much worse since I've been on this diet. I am thinking of taking a few days off work.and purchasing a colon.cleanse to sort me out.. Any tips to help I would appreciate x

A year seems a long time to be on Movacol, has your Dr done any investigations or referred you over to see a Gastroenterologist, if not then I'd be pushing them to do so.

scottish-jim

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
N

nicbarnett

A year seems a long time to be on Movacol, has your Dr done any investigations or referred you over to see a Gastroenterologist, if not then I'd be pushing them to do so.
I've had the camera up and down lol, nothing was out of the ordinary was found

N

nicbarnett

ND is the Newcastle Diet: http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diet/newcastle-study-600-calorie-diet.html

I'm currently on the ND for my second go.
First time round I too had problems with constipation.
This time I am adding some Jordans Natural Wheat Bran to the shakes and also sprinkling it on my veg.
Works a treat for me and keeps me regular :)
http://groceries.asda.com/asda-webs...c-_-ghs-d1-_-asdacom-dsk-_-hp#/product/395740
Ohhh right, I didn't know I was on that, as a type 1 I have been put on it for weight loss, thanks for the tip I will buy some x

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I've had the camera up and down lol, nothing was out of the ordinary was found

Right, just try and drink plenty of fluids and make sure you eat plenty of fibre which helps with constipation, hope the symptoms soon disappear but you should mention it to the nurses who are advising you on your diet

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Another alternative would be psyllium husks (e.g. Brand name Lepicol which has additional probiotics).

It's a tasteless powder that mixes with water to make a gel. You pop it in water, stir and drink it before it jellyfies too much. Brilliant stuff.

Mind you - how much liquid are you drinking a day? The first, simplest, best step to combat constipation is to up your liquid intake.

Hope that helps.

Reactions: 4 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Ask for a "shapes" test.

Start off by adding a teaspoon a day of flaxseed and chia seed to your milk shakes.

Increase the amount of these to 2 tablespoons of flaxseed and 1 tablespoon of chia seed over 4 weeks.

This totally removed my need for ambulsnces, morphine, home enemas, and movicol.

Reactions: 6 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Upping my fluids usually does the trick for me.

I don't know how much a tablespoon of flax or chai seeds weigh, but each are around 500 calories per 100gr, so that might be a consideration as nic appears to be on a very low calorie diet, as prescribed by her advisors.

N

nicbarnett

Thanks all very much for your answers, I do drink alot.of coffee at work so will.limit that and increase my water uptake, definitely add some flaxseed and / or chai seeds? I was given charcoal tablets for wind and bloating a few weeks ago by someone in a well know health shop, hubby told me last night that they can constipate you...

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I use psyllium - in water and also in food. Water intake seems to be a key factor.
I have recently been given some Forlax 4000 to try - find it on google.

mariavontrapp

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I have found that probiotics are very helpful because they increase gut motility. Capsules are best as the yoghurt drinks often have added sugar. I get mine from Nature's Best. If I'm getting bunged up I also take prebiotic fibre, but it does contain some carbohydrates so not suitable for everyone. I just take half a teaspoon and it seems to help.
Psyllium also good, tho I don't like it!

Reactions: 4 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
My gastro chap has has seen a marked increase of diabetics attending his clinics...

Last edited by a moderator:

mariavontrapp

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I think the books on low-carbing should address this issue more thoroughly because constipation is very bad for your health and can be very distressing. I tried asking the dietician about it but didn't get anywhere because he didn't really agree with LCHF.

Reactions: 2 people

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Movical morning and evening should work but think you can have a few more daily but unsure I would ask the Doctor as I know how bad you feel with constipation :grumpy:

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
a weight loss diet from the diabetic nurses of 3 meals replacement shakes a day, a lunch.of salad.and supper of veg. No.meat,dairy,pasta,pots etc.
Seriously? Are they insane? No fat whatsoever? Very little protein? Lots of powdered chemicals? Calories mostly from sugar? This would sure mess up my intestines! Humans surely are not designed to run on such a diet. Other than switching to real, nutritionally dense food, I don't have any advice, especially since I've never been constipated.

Reactions: 6 people