Type 2 stressed newbie!

Michele01

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Michele01
I believe you are being given the run around by your endocrinologist, he doesn't know how to treat it. You could ask for a referral to an endocrinologist who specializes in RH.

The way I got here because I was misdiagnosed and I was trying to find things out about how to treat the symptoms.
I had a lotto help and advice. After RH diagnosis, I just stayed around to find out about developments in treating blood glucose conditions.
Me and Brun got together, to get our own forum, but ended up with a sticky, thread in the ' Ask a question' forum.
I have always believed there is a lot more RH ers out there who haven't been properly diagnosed. And like me have been diagnosed as T2 or such.
GPs haven't got a clue about diabetes, never mind RH!
The treatment to help is eat small carb filled often.
When it is definitely the carbs (and sugars) that cause spikes.
The way to treat RH is to remove as many carbs as possible from your intake, that stops the spike, hence no hypo. If like @Brunneria and myself, we do not eat carbs.
I say it is. I am allergic to carbs and sugars. That way, you don't need to carb count!
I have been testing for a long time and I know what spikes me, and it is the same old baddies, bread, grains, cereals, batter, pasta, pastry, cakes, biscuits, glucose, coke, sauces, potatoes, carrots, etc. And processed foods!
Fat is another issue, we eat full fat and stay away from low or no fat.
Cooking oils are bad for us, use natural fats, animal fats instead of polyunsaturated fats.
Please read the forums and ask questions, welcome to our rare and exclusive club!

@nosher8355 honestly I can say that my Endo is one of the best there is. Please understand that I am firmly in the T2 camp now and need to get that under control. My RH is not a problem (and never really has been for me as I worked my way through it and have had it for years - it was just something I was used to and adapted to and, although an inconvenience, I coped with it far easier than the T2 I currently have). I most definitely was not as restricted as you in what triggered my attacks. Also, the Endo I have now is not the same one I had for the RH who basically offered me tablets, no dietary advice and ran!

My current Endo is fabulous and I wouldn't change him for the world. He's most definitely NOT giving me the run around. He's been fantastic since he discovered my T2 and it's only 3 months in. I'm very happy with his treatment and care. He listens, we talk and plan my treatment together so it's very much a collaboration. Something that I find reassuring and comforting. I will find my way through the carb situation but as I've said above, I don't think I react in the same way to carbs as you (and maybe Brunneria). Fats have never been an issue for me either. In fact my diet could be considered fairly Meditterranean in that regard! Before the T2 I could eat pasta and potatoes happily. I do need to test how I react to them now as I haven't checked. The only absolute no no's for me were bread and cereal with RH that literally floored me within 30 minutes to an hour and I went downhill quickly. Since being diagnosed with T2 I have managed to eat bread without this happening and have tried cereal once only. However, I do understand that bread may become something I need to give up but as you say, we all tolerate foods differently.

I appreciate your advice but for me, RH is really not an issue. It could become one later down the line when my blood levels reduce but my focus is most firmly on getting my levels down at the moment and that's a learning curve having to understand what my body spikes with and doesn't. I've had some great information here and learned loads in 24 hours and have been printing recepies (especially for puddings and treats!).

Reactions: 2 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
@nosher8355 honestly I can say that my Endo is one of the best there is. Please understand that I am firmly in the T2 camp now and need to get that under control. My RH is not a problem (and never really has been for me as I worked my way through it and have had it for years - it was just something I was used to and adapted to and, although an inconvenience, I coped with it far easier than the T2 I currently have). I most definitely was not as restricted as you in what triggered my attacks. Also, the Endo I have now is not the same one I had for the RH who basically offered me tablets, no dietary advice and ran!

My current Endo is fabulous and I wouldn't change him for the world. He's most definitely NOT giving me the run around. He's been fantastic since he discovered my T2 and it's only 3 months in. I'm very happy with his treatment and care. He listens, we talk and plan my treatment together so it's very much a collaboration. Something that I find reassuring and comforting. I will find my way through the carb situation but as I've said above, I don't think I react in the same way to carbs as you (and maybe Brunneria). Fats have never been an issue for me either. In fact my diet could be considered fairly Meditterranean in that regard! Before the T2 I could eat pasta and potatoes happily. I do need to test how I react to them now as I haven't checked. The only absolute no no's for me were bread and cereal with RH that literally floored me within 30 minutes to an hour and I went downhill quickly. Since being diagnosed with T2 I have managed to eat bread without this happening and have tried cereal once only. However, I do understand that bread may become something I need to give up but as you say, we all tolerate foods differently.

I appreciate your advice but for me, RH is really not an issue. It could become one later down the line when my blood levels reduce but my focus is most firmly on getting my levels down at the moment and that's a learning curve having to understand what my body spikes with and doesn't. I've had some great information here and learned loads in 24 hours and have been printing recepies (especially for puddings and treats!).

I'm happy with your approach to your T2.
I think you're a battler like me!
I have been to hell and back with my treatment and my misdiagnosis, so I try to give advice that is helpful and by my own experience and what I've learned from brunneria, I usually advise, that RH is as diverse as diabetes itself.
There are so few of us, that we need to learn from each other.
My endocrinologist probably saved my life and my sanity, so I am really made up that you have a good one.
We need your help and experience on here as for some reason, more of us are turning up here looking for help and information.
Please stick around.

kimbo1962

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Most T2s have to forsake bananas, at the very least for a while.

I'm sure you've been told to ensure you're drinking plenty whilst you're on Forxiga, because of how it works? @kimbo1962 has had some wonderful results using that particular drug.
Only just seen this. ....haven't been around for a while !
I began forxiga late last June after 2 week of metformin which I couldn't tolerate at all. Combined with lchf (30gm pet day max carbs) and exercise I reduced my hba1c from 61 to 53 in 6 weeks and then to non-diabetic 38 13 weeks later, had lost over 3st by then too, stopped forxiga in January and by carrying on lchf and exercise maintain a non-diabetic 39 at latest hba1c in April, by then had lost over 6st also!

Reactions: 4 people

Michele01

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Only just seen this. ....haven't been around for a while !
I began forxiga late last June after 2 week of metformin which I couldn't tolerate at all. Combined with lchf (30gm pet day max carbs) and exercise I reduced my hba1c from 61 to 53 in 6 weeks and then to non-diabetic 38 13 weeks later, had lost over 3st by then too, stopped forxiga in January and by carrying on lchf and exercise maintain a non-diabetic 39 at latest hba1c in April, by then had lost over 6st also!

@kimbo1962 that's amazing! You must be so proud of yourself! I'm loving Forxiga too. My bs is coming down although not to where it should be but it's only 1 week in BUT, believe it or not (despite losing 2 stone with the Metformin) this week I've lost 7lb! I'm staggered by that! Are you able to keep the weight loss off without the Forxiga Kimbo? I've really only got another 1 stone (maybe 1.5 stone) to lose now before I start to look skeletal so I'm hoping that at some point it'll level my bs and weight loss (although hopefully not till I get to my target weight)!

kimbo1962

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@kimbo1962 that's amazing! You must be so proud of yourself! I'm loving Forxiga too. My bs is coming down although not to where it should be but it's only 1 week in BUT, believe it or not (despite losing 2 stone with the Metformin) this week I've lost 7lb! I'm staggered by that! Are you able to keep the weight loss off without the Forxiga Kimbo? I've really only got another 1 stone (maybe 1.5 stone) to lose now before I start to look skeletal so I'm hoping that at some point it'll level my bs and weight loss (although hopefully not till I get to my target weight)!
I'm still losing without forxiga but staying lchf and exercise. I'd like another 2st off ideally but will never be a stick and no desire to be as I'm tall, 6. 2 1/2 and can get away with a bit extra !

Michele01

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm still losing without forxiga but staying lchf and exercise. I'd like another 2st off ideally but will never be a stick and no desire to be as I'm tall, 6. 2 1/2 and can get away with a bit extra !

Forgive my ignorance please but what is ichf????

Judging by your photo if you lose much more you'll disappear down cracks in the pavement x

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Forgive my ignorance please but what is ichf????

Judging by your photo if you lose much more you'll disappear down cracks in the pavement x

LCHF = Low Carb, High Fat. I prefer to think of it as Low Carb, Enough Fat. The High Fat label is like waving a red flag at a bull for most health professionals, or grown adults who have been indoctrinated in the low fat culture of the last 20 years.

crazycatlady42

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
It's nice to finally see that I'm not alone with getting a firm diagnosis for RH. It's also good to see other people's solutions on here. Thanks guys!!

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
It's nice to finally see that I'm not alone with getting a firm diagnosis for RH. It's also good to see other people's solutions on here. Thanks guys!!
It's really good that you have finally been diagnosed, learn about the condition and how to treat it, diet is the main source of you feeling the symptoms. Control is the key. No hypers, no hypos!

Keep posting, let us know how you are doing!

Welcome to our exclusive club! You are amongst friends here.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes

Welcome to the forum, have a read the Reactive Hypoglycaemia thread on the ' Ask a question' forum.

I want to ask loads of questions, but give us your story and how you are coping!

Welcome again.

crazycatlady42

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Thanks. I'll have a look at the thread shortly.

In brief I felt really lethargic and was loosing weight so after many trips to the GP and a whole series of tests to rule out diabetes I finally saw an endocrinologist. After more tests they are now pretty certain that I have RH. They are hoping to confirm it once I get my weight under control.

Since changing my diet over a year ago and eating lots of little meals I now feel a million times better! I just came on here for extra ideas. Next step is to work out how to cope with more prolonged exercise...

crazycatlady42

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
It's really good that you have finally been diagnosed, learn about the condition and how to treat it, diet is the main source of you feeling the symptoms. Control is the key. No hypers, no hypos!

Keep posting, let us know how you are doing!

Welcome to our exclusive club! You are amongst friends here.
Exclusive is certainly the word for it!

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
A quote from my consultant.

You are so rare, that more men have walked on the moon than have got your condition, the way you got it, naturally!

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes

Hope you are not going to keep us in suspense, I'm sure all the other RH ers would like to know about you.
Have you read the Reactive Hypoglycaemia thread?

I have a blog about my story, it's called 'a reactionary' use the search button on the blogs page.

crazycatlady42

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Hope you are not going to keep us in suspense, I'm sure all the other RH ers would like to know about you.
Have you read the Reactive Hypoglycaemia thread?

I have a blog about my story, it's called 'a reactionary' use the search button on the blogs page.
Thanks. I've had a look at the thread you suggested and found some interesting stuff. I'll have a read of your blog later.

In brief I felt really lethargic and was loosing weight so after many trips to the GP and a whole series of tests to rule out diabetes I finally saw an endocrinologist. After more tests they are now pretty certain that I have RH. They are hoping to confirm it once I get my weight under control.

Since changing my diet over a year ago and eating lots of little meals I now feel a million times better! I just came on here for extra ideas. Next step is to work out how to cope with more prolonged exercise...

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thanks. I've had a look at the thread you suggested and found some interesting stuff. I'll have a read of your blog later.

Thanks, I do hope you can keep feeling this way, as I have because, I had a bit of a fight to get here. The little meals help greatly but i find myself repeating them to often because of full time work, thank whoever, that I really enjoy meat and salad!
The exercise thing.......... just do a little more walking and do it after you have ate, it keeps your blood glucose levels in control. The vigorous stuff, well, I think I'm past it, but do it slowly at first and work it up in stages!

Ask as many questions as you like, no doubt @Brunneria will be along soon to welcome you to our 'exclusive' club.