Type 2 stressed newbie!

Michele01

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello everybody!

I thought I'd introduce myself and say "hi"!

My story is a strange one (to me) but perhaps familiar to a number of you? I have suffered with reactive hypo-glycemia for around 20 years and never thought that I would use up my insulin stores so it came as a huge shock when I was diagnosed with Type 2 in March this year. My Father developed type 2 in later life and I've been told (although not sure how true it is) that type 2 can follow the father's line down. So here I am! Type 2!

Anyway, I was put on Metformin (once a day, increasing to 3 a day within 3 weeks). To say I had horrendous side effects is an understatement. I struggled to eat and if anything had too much sugar, I was laid flat out for about an hour after eating for at least an hour feeling horribly sick. If I wasn't feeling sick then I was running to the loo (sorry tmi) with a 30 second warning. The upside is that I lost 2 stone in 3 months but not a great way to lose weight. Unfortunately the Metformin really wasn't reducing my levels (consistently around 8-10) despite my diet radically changing.

I've now been taken off Metformin and put on Forxiga (Dapaglifozin) 10mg daily and I'm on day 2 now although the consultant has said he may have to reintroduce the Metformin later. I'm just going to the loo frequently (thankfully number 1s and not numbers 2s) quite a lot but not suffering from any other side effects although I'm on thrush tablets weekly (thanks to the Metformin) and hopefully those will keep that at bay.

When I was diagnosed I was distraught and it really hit me hard. I'm still coming to terms with it and am desperate to get my levels down. I'm looking forward to reading your stories and learning from you all.

Reactions: 2 people

brettsza

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi
Don't wry, we have all been through this and worst part is to digest the news of diagnosis. I will tag along @daisy1 and will send you info on newly diagnosed.
Pls read around as there is a lot of info around here and if in any doubt just ask. We will try to help.

Reactions: 3 people

Michele01

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you so much for the warm welcome and information. By the way, I forgot to add that my HBA1c is 74 at the moment. I have no idea if that's good or bad but I don't think it's too bad!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome!

(Thanks @AndBreathe )

I'm sorry to say I have to go out in 5 mins, so all I can do at the moment is recommend you read this thread:
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/reactive-hypoglycaemia.71083/

I followed the same RH leading to T2 path as you, so ask anything you like. It will be interesting to see if our experiences match. :)

Have you ever been told what type of RH you have?
I'm Ideopathic, and @nosher8355 is Late RH

Will be back later...

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi
Don't wry, we have all been through this and worst part is to digest the news of diagnosis. I will tag along @daisy1 and will send you info on newly diagnosed.
Pls read around as there is a lot of info around here and if in any doubt just ask. We will try to help.
Hi
Hello everybody!

I thought I'd introduce myself and say "hi"!

My story is a strange one (to me) but perhaps familiar to a number of you? I have suffered with reactive hypo-glycemia for around 20 years and never thought that I would use up my insulin stores so it came as a huge shock when I was diagnosed with Type 2 in March this year. My Father developed type 2 in later life and I've been told (although not sure how true it is) that type 2 can follow the father's line down. So here I am! Type 2!

Anyway, I was put on Metformin (once a day, increasing to 3 a day within 3 weeks). To say I had horrendous side effects is an understatement. I struggled to eat and if anything had too much sugar, I was laid flat out for about an hour after eating for at least an hour feeling horribly sick. If I wasn't feeling sick then I was running to the loo (sorry tmi) with a 30 second warning. The upside is that I lost 2 stone in 3 months but not a great way to lose weight. Unfortunately the Metformin really wasn't reducing my levels (consistently around 8-10) despite my diet radically changing.

I've now been taken off Metformin and put on Forxiga (Dapaglifozin) 10mg daily and I'm on day 2 now although the consultant has said he may have to reintroduce the Metformin later. I'm just going to the loo frequently (thankfully number 1s and not numbers 2s) quite a lot but not suffering from any other side effects although I'm on thrush tablets weekly (thanks to the Metformin) and hopefully those will keep that at bay.

When I was diagnosed I was distraught and it really hit me hard. I'm still coming to terms with it and am desperate to get my levels down. I'm looking forward to reading your stories and learning from you all.

Hi @Michele01

Welcome to the RH club!

I have RH, non diabetic, though! @Brunneria will be better than me at diabetic RH.

However, to control the condition, we use the same advice.

Brun will give you the tech link thingy, have a read of the thread 'Reactive Hypoglycaemia'
It's on the Ask a question forum.

My first advice is ditch the metformin. You don't need it. Also type 2 can be hereditary.

Have a look at the low carb forum. It will help you.

Once you've done your homework,:) come back and ask as many questions about anything!

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thank you so much for the warm welcome and information. By the way, I forgot to add that my HBA1c is 74 at the moment. I have no idea if that's good or bad but I don't think it's too bad!
That's about 5 in old money, isn't it?

Which if it is that's good.

Mine is 4.5 in old money!

But that's not what is causing your problems!

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Be aware that Metformin SR (Slow Release) is much kinder and shouldn't make you go to the loo. Didn't the consultant offer this version?

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@Michele01

Hello Michele and welcome to the forum :)

Here is the information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. Ask all the questions you like and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find over 150,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates

Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes-and-whole-grains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to bloodglucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Michele01

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi

Hi @Michele01

Welcome to the RH club!

I have RH, non diabetic, though! @Brunneria will be better than me at diabetic RH.

However, to control the condition, we use the same advice.

Brun will give you the tech link thingy, have a read of the thread 'Reactive Hypoglycaemia'
It's on the Ask a question forum.

My first advice is ditch the metformin. You don't need it. Also type 2 can be hereditary.

Have a look at the low carb forum. It will help you.

Once you've done your homework,:) come back and ask as many questions about anything!

hI @nosher8355. Unfortunately I can't ditch the tablets because I'm a fully fledged type 2 now. My RH has actually disappeared because my sugar levels are so high :( So I'm an ex RH'er and now a new T2'er! :)

Reactions: 4 people

Michele01

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That's about 5 in old money, isn't it?

Which if it is that's good.

Mine is 4.5 in old money!

But that's not what is causing your problems!

Hi again - No, my HBA1c at 74 equates to 7.8 in old money I think. I've had two come back 3 months apart (when first diagnosed and then a few weeks ago and they were almost the same 74 and then 75.

Michele01

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi. Be aware that Metformin SR (Slow Release) is much kinder and shouldn't make you go to the loo. Didn't the consultant offer this version?

Thank you Daibell. Unfortunately the consultant doesn't want me to have it as I've had previous stomach surgery and he was really worried about the effects on my stomach and the way I digest food. There's a good possibililty that it would get out of my system too quickly which is why he put me on the old style.

Michele01

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Michele01

Hello Michele and welcome to the forum :)

Here is the information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. Ask all the questions you like and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find over 150,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates

Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes-and-whole-grains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to bloodglucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Thank you @daisy1. I appreciate the information. I've always been rubbish at understanding good/bad carbs and think I need to really get my head around them. I've already switched to brown rice (quite like that) but hate brown pasta with a passion - it's about as much fun as eating a car tyre!

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
hI @nosher8355. Unfortunately I can't ditch the tablets because I'm a fully fledged type 2 now. My RH has actually disappeared because my sugar levels are so high :( So I'm an ex RH'er and now a new T2'er! :)
Hi again,
The secret to both is very, very low carbing and eating very small meals throughout the day.
That way you don't spike(hyper), then you don't go low(hypo)!
@Brunneria Will say the same, she has residual RH, as well as type 2.
If your Hba1c and fasting bloods are normal, it is your diet that is causing the high blood glucose levels.
One thing you posted was said that you've used all your insulin up. , that's not T2! T2s, have problems with insulin resistance.
Anyway, You do need to get them both under control.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thank you Daibell. Unfortunately the consultant doesn't want me to have it as I've had previous stomach surgery and he was really worried about the effects on my stomach and the way I digest food. There's a good possibililty that it would get out of my system too quickly which is why he put me on the old style.
Do you digest quickly or slowly?

SueB743

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just wanted to say hi and welcome. Try not to worry, with the helpful advice on the forum you will be able to get this under control

Michele01

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi again,
The secret to both is very, very low carbing and eating very small meals throughout the day.
That way you don't spike(hyper), then you don't go low(hypo)!
@Brunneria Will say the same, she has residual RH, as well as type 2.
If your Hba1c and fasting bloods are normal, it is your diet that is causing the high blood glucose levels.
One thing you posted was said that you've used all your insulin up. , that's not T2! T2s, have problems with insulin resistance.
Anyway, You do need to get them both under control.

Hi again @nosher8355! I'm so new to all of this so still learning! Neither my fasting or my Hba1c are normal at the mo. Fasting is around 11 (whereas beforehand it was always around 5). I don't have any RH at the moment but the consultant has said that if/when my T2 gets under control, I may experience it again. When I had RH I had to eat every 2.5 hours and bread/cereal were the worst for me and an absolute no no. Interestingly, potatoes, rice and pasta wasn't a problem. Since being diagnosed with T2 it's actually been a treat to eat a sandwich with wholegrain bread. I know that's not ideal but it's like I'm a kid in a sweetshop (horrible analogy but you know what I mean)!

Michele01

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Do you digest quickly or slowly?

I had to have stomach surgery several years ago and my internal plumbing was adjusted. Unfortunately nothing stays in my stomach - it goes straight through (so even though I may feel sick, I can never vomit because there's nothing there). I can have corrective surgery but since it doesn't give me any problems, I've opted not to at the moment. Consequently, slow release anything doesn't work. This is why my consultant is trying me on different medications (and then combinations) to try to get the balance right.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi again @nosher8355! I'm so new to all of this so still learning! Neither my fasting or my Hba1c are normal at the mo. Fasting is around 11 (whereas beforehand it was always around 5). I don't have any RH at the moment but the consultant has said that if/when my T2 gets under control, I may experience it again. When I had RH I had to eat every 2.5 hours and bread/cereal were the worst for me and an absolute no no. Interestingly, potatoes, rice and pasta wasn't a problem. Since being diagnosed with T2 it's actually been a treat to eat a sandwich with wholegrain bread. I know that's not ideal but it's like I'm a kid in a sweetshop (horrible analogy but you know what I mean)!
I'm so jealous!
Even though I don't spike as much as I used to. I would kill for a chip buttie!
Next time you see your endocrinologist, ask him about the meds sitagliptin, it has helped me so much. It has been recommended in the States to help T2 and RH.

Keep posting, let us know how you are getting on.

Your experience would be very useful.

Read my blog, 'A Reactionary' it tells my (long) story of how I got to here!

Michele01

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi and welcome!

(Thanks @AndBreathe )

I'm sorry to say I have to go out in 5 mins, so all I can do at the moment is recommend you read this thread:
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/reactive-hypoglycaemia.71083/

I followed the same RH leading to T2 path as you, so ask anything you like. It will be interesting to see if our experiences match. :)

Have you ever been told what type of RH you have?
I'm Ideopathic, and @nosher8355 is Late RH

Will be back later...

Hi @Brunneria!

My journey with RH was a strange one really. It started about 30 years ago (I'm 52 now) with just having what I described as "shaky attacks" where I'd feel odd, shaky and would need a biscuit to feel better. When it started it was only about 3 or 4 times a year and, for the most part, I ignored it. I'd heard people say things like "my blood sugar is low" and so just assumed this was something everybody had.

About 10 years ago, my "shaky" episodes became much more frequent and I realised that by eating little and often (and not eating until lunchtime) I could manage it. Bread and cereal would give me the most hypos ever. I really suffered if I had either of those so completely eradicated them from my diet. However, I had one episode that frightened me because I was literally eating teaspoons of sugar and it was taking ages to come out of the shaky/muzzy headed feeling. Where I worked at the time, there was a Doctor who was fantastic and I saw him about it. He gave me a blood testing meter and sent me away to take my bloods when I started to feel an attack coming on and to describe the symptoms I was having. Typically, my levels would go down to under 3 - and on one occasion went down to 2. When I showed him the spreadsheet a few weeks later he packed me off to see a specialist.

The specialist did a fasting test (3 days in hospital with nothing to eat or drink apart from black coffee and water) and my sugar levels were fine. No hypos. Nothing. However, towards the end, I could have happily eaten one of the nurses lol! He then did a fasting/drinking glucose syrup test. After drinking the syrup, they were taking my blood every 15 minutes. I was sitting in the waiting room feeling yuck with a hypo starting when a man from the lab came running into the waiting room shouting my name. I identified myself and he shoved some orange juice and other stuff at me and said "eat, drink"! Apparently my levels had dipped dramatically and they were worried!

So, the specialist said that he wasn't happy with my levels as they plunged so quickly and wanted to put me on some tablets that (a) would make me put on weight, (b) would give me greasy skin, (c) would cause excessive hair and (d) would give me spots! Not wanting to turn into a spotty man looking yetti I politely declined and decided to manage the shaky attacks with my diet.

All was well until 6 months ago I had a blood test and a consultant (an endocrinologist as I have an underactive thyroid) told me I was borderline T2. When he said that, I assumed I had another 10 years before anything would happen - but I had noticed my hypos were getting less frequent. Fast forward 3 months and I developed a headache that wouldn't go away and a raging thirst and to my horror/surprise/disbelief, I had tipped rapidly into T2 territory and now my sugars were out of control in the other direction.

So that's my long story (sorry if I've bored you). Interestingly, I was never worried by my RH. It was just a way of life and manageable. Being diagnosed with T2 has literally shocked me to the core and is altogether another ball game. I will beat it though. It won't beat me!